bathroom remodelling

terbear1225

Our bathroom desperately needs a complete remodel. Anyone here have experience and can offer an estimate of the cost? we don't deen to do any plumbing or electrical work, just a complete cosmetic redo.

tirdun

staring into the abyss
terbear1225 said:
Our bathroom desperately needs a complete remodel. Anyone here have experience and can offer an estimate of the cost? we don't deen to do any plumbing or electrical work, just a complete cosmetic redo.

Aren't you still going to need some basic plumbing? Unless you aren't doing anything to the sink/counter.

Anyway, I've used Feicht (240-925-0535) and been very satisfied.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
I redid my downstairs bath myself. I had a 30" sink and a countertop vanity (Basically they took a right hand sink top that was ~5' across the wall with no other cabinet. How cheap can you get!). The tub/shower is fiberglass and in good condition since it's hasn't been used that much till Mom moved in last year. The commode was a poorly designed piece of crap.
I went on line to place that has premade cabinets you put together yourself. They're nicely finished and inexpenisive. I priced a new sink cabinet at Lowes for over $400.00 but from the website I got a 30"sink with drawers, a 3 drwaer base cabinet, a 7' linen cabinet and a wall cabinet for over the commode plus a 3 pieces of trim (for across the bottom and wall scribe to hide the crooked walls) and spent ~$950.00. BTW they are thick plywood and solid hardwood - particle board or MDF.
I also replaced the commode with an American Standard and the old flooring with the extra thick vinyl floor (really nice stuff), took down the builders grade mirror, replaced the light fixture and am buying a good oval mirror to put up. In all I've will have spent about $1500.00, but I did all the labor with help from the hubby on the cabinet install and comode change.
Our best saving - we cut the cultured marble sink top to fit the new plan.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
We did our kids bathroom at our old house last year. There was an old ugly piece of vinyl flooring that was cut poorly around the bottom of the toilet. The bathroom always smelled funky so I figured that the water that splashed out of the tub from the kids had gotten under the floor there. The man took the toilet out to take up the flooring and to our surprise the wax ring or whatever it is on the bottom of the toilet was bad. Old flooring came up along with all the sub-flooring that really wasn't sub-flooring (Harry homeowner had used plywood and wall paneling as sub-floor). Soooo, new proper sub-flooring (that concrete board stuff), new wax ring and ceramic tile. We took out the sink cabinet and I sanded and painted it white, painted the walls (which Harry homeowner had used flat paint on), put everything back in and viola. I want to say it cost us a couple hundred bucks and made all the difference in the world.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
don't you just love remodeling and finding what other people or builders/subcontractors have done 'to code'? :sarcasm: . shoud"ve seen that hole behind the fixture coming.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Aerogal said:
don't you just love remodeling and finding what other people or builders/subcontractors have done 'to code'? :sarcasm: . shoud"ve seen that hole behind the fixture coming.

I KNOW what to look for in a house now! When we bought that house everything looked really nice on the surface. Once we got in it was a whole different story.

bohman

pixiegirl said:
I KNOW what to look for in a house now! When we bought that house everything looked really nice on the surface. Once we got in it was a whole different story.

I guess that's just the same process for everybody. We moved into our house thinking that it just really needed a good cleaning. Hindsight (and a crapload of projects) has taught us that the p.o.'s attitude towards cleaning also applied towards repairs.

Fred Prince

Painting MATERIALS should be under $100...ceiling, walls and trim.
No-glue vinyl flooring is easier to work with and you should be able to cover an average bathroom floor for under $100 MATERIALS. Removing the toilet for new flooring is no big deal, just remember you'll need a new wax ring, they're cheap...like $1. ...and some new shoe moulding at the bottom of the baseboard...that's easy to cut.

If you're not doing the work yourself, shop around and get references, there are some ridiculously overpriced contractors, and some do incredibly poor quality work.

Good luck!

wineo

loving life
If you need a plumber my hubby is one. I would go with Feicht his first name is Rory. He is great and reliable. He has a great tile guy that works for him. Hubby sometimes does his plumbing, if he's not to busy.

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly

Isn't it the truth? We are hurrying to finish an upstairs bathroom so we can totally rip out the bathroom downstairs before the bathtub becomes a sunken tub! Seems there has been a leak running down the wall and under the floorboard for awhile now. Surprise! We were just adding the 2nd bathroom for the convenience - now it's really important!