I dont understand

watercolor

yeah yeah
Can I ask a question? (I am just venting)

I just am really starting to wonder about some things/people in this area or world for that matter.

The racism in this county is unbelievable! I cannot understand how in this day and age, how people can act this way.

I am really angry with this.

The reason I am bringing this up, is that, a verbal fight, fired up today, when I was in Leonardtown, and it was all over a conscious mistake.
(I am going to be blunt here...so please don’t take offense)

Plain and simple, a black man, well dress, professional, was simply not paying attention, and was legally walking across the parking lot on the crosswalk...and this car, who was clearly not paying attention, comes to a screeching halt and then starts honking like crazy, yelling and screaming ' get your N black A$$ outta the road' and other profanities not of choice.

And the guy, simply said, I am sorry sir, I guess I was not paying attention. Very soft and human like. The other guy, the 'white' guy in the car, who was being careless.... got outta his car, and got up in the mans face, screaming for the whole world to hear...that ' if he would not be so proud of the black man, and that if he would act like he did not own the road,' that he may have not hit him.

It broke my heart! I just saw the sadness in that mans eyes, and the furry and rage in the others. What is that man suppose to do...hold his head high, and walk away. Yea that may be the best thing to do, but its not that easy. I mean, no matter what anyone says, your spirit gets crushed every time you are put down in anyway. 'Eh, shrug is off, don’t let them bother you' people say, but simply said, is easier than simply done. And the furry and rage in the other man, why is he so upset, and angry. Why did his parents (if applicable) teach him this way, why does he not see this person as a human being, instead of a lesser of him. *shakes head* I mean I am sure and know for a fact that racism is everywhere in the world (obviously) but...before I moved here, it was not as horrible, as some people seem to be.

A lot of people want to point fingers, at one or another, saying...'well the black people are lazy, and just do nothing all day' or the blacks say ' the white man is holding them down' or the people call the Indian people, 'towel heads' and all this other junk! Not to mention the whole Chinese and Japanese 'chinks' and all.

Why is it, that people think each other is worse than them, or bad or lazy or whatever. I mean, I know the reason people think this, I mean with ego's and all. But it is ridiculous...to go and slanderize someone’s life, or feelings just because they are tanner than you...or have a different facial feature than you...or because they walk differently (like Jesse) or whatever. I mean...Jesse is a prime example, people call him a freak and all that other BS nonsense...and its just like...what are you...making yourself feel better? How?

We all have the same blood...its all RED and all flowing like the next person. We are all breathing the same Oxygen, and so fourth. Why in this day, 2002, are we still acting like we are back in the 1400's or 1950's!!!

As said before. I was just venting...and sorry...but I just wanted to share and voice. I don’t know what I can do...or whatever. But...the whole thing is...you would think, after 9/11 and all the heartache caused...and how people died to save others, and such. That its almost like, you see, what hate does...why are you going to fix hate with hate? How can you?!

Another point, being, on how can you judge, on a particular area that bothers me more. My new nephew...he is more than likely half black half white....and do you know that when I told my co-workers and boss, that one co-worker was like, don’t bring that baby around me. That baby has not place in my area. WHY!?!? What did that baby ever do, what did, anyone ever do to you...he says, that blacks mate with blacks, whites with whites, and so on...How can you say, oh I cant fall in love with you, and making something outta love...from us...because you are a different race than me!!!! *grr*

Just think about it before you point fingers. Blood that is red is in all of us. Blacks don’t have blue or green, whites don’t have yellow or purple, Chinese don’t have black or orange, Indians don’t have white or tan, and so on! We are all here, together, and wanting the same thing, to live our lives in peace, and not to be scrutinized for a color or background.

Sorry....just ranting...
:bawl:

jeneisen

Indy Bound
I have to agree with you that it is really bad in this area. I'm not sure why people say or do what they do but I do feel we are all a product of our environment. It starts from our parents, then their parents and so on. If you teach your kids to be that way, they will teach their kids to be that way.

One conversation I have had with a co-worker on the subject is they had mentioned that they noticed that this area seems to have a lot of lower class "people." All people, not just black or oriental or white. I have to admit from living in other areas, SOMD does seem to have its own classification of people in some areas. A lot of people associate that image with different races. Its not right, but it happens.

I think that the predjuice is getting better but its not going to happen over night. I think each year it gets a little better, or at least I hope so. I can't stongly stress that its all in how you raise your kids. If you don't want them teased about their weight, or how much money they have, then why would you teach them to tease other people about something they have no control over??? You can lose weight, make more money, and improve your looks but you can't change your heritage. So why even say anything about it? I guess I am just as puzzled as you are.

AnonymousPenguin

Lead Penguin
very good point Water!!

This type of stuff angers me very much as well.

It's sad that we live in a world where there is so much unnecessary hatred.

The way I see it...
the ppl that put others down or look at someone else as lower without cause...are the ones that lack self-esteem. They have to put another down to uplift themselves. So, in truth...they actually don't think very highly of themselves.

It's sad...but it's reality.

Then, there are those that look at another as their brother. :)

BudoPo

It's the "us vs. them" mindset that's been around since cavemen days. This mindset prompts racial tension, religious wars (well, most wars, really), and just all sorts of trouble.

For racism, I think the mindset manifests itself through blame: "I can't feed my family, so it must be *someone's* fault." That kind of thing. When people of different ethnicities aren't intermingled (ie, whites stay in white areas, blacks in black areas, etc), then people don't get to actually know the other people. This leads to stereotypes, gossip, and rumors.

It's a pretty sad situation, and I agree with your feelings about what happened.

watercolor

yeah yeah
jeneisen I tend to agree with you. I mean in no ways am I saying this is the worse place for it, but it is pretty bad here. When I was in cali, you just did not come out and just say hey so and so, get your whatever outta my way. Cause you would get an ear full from that particular person, and on lookers. You know! *shakes head*

Penguin- I know. And I do agree with that point too. And I figure as much, with their self-esteem. I just dont get it you know. It just does not make sense...but then again, there is alot of things, that 'people' in general do, that done make sense.

Budopo- yes. It is all the me me me theory. I do agree. And I know it has been around through the ages, and I guess I should not be so surprised at it. :rolleyes: but it just really hurts, I mean, I guess I am just one of those compassionate people, that care about someone elses feelings, and what happens to them, unlike the guy in the car, or the rest of the careless people in the world. It just seems, so much more, prominate here in this particular area, where, people use race differences, to degrade..I dunno.,...maybe its the smallness of the area/county or whatever. but it just seems, like people like to pass judgement on areas, such as Leonardtown, being the rich white persons area, (as what my neices dad seems to think...) and lexington park, being the 'black' area, where you dont want to go there, cause its all run down. NOT ALL OF IT IS!!! (not yelling...just saying)

Anyway....all good points...well said :clap:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Let's not blame the area - there are jerks and buttheads all over the US (not to mention the world). I'm sorry for that guy because no one deserves to be treated like that for any reason. The "white devil" (as Jet would say) is just a mean a$$hole.
when I told my co-workers and boss, that one co-worker was like, don’t bring that baby around me
Another jerk a$$hole. I think it's interesting to hear people even express these feelings out loud - you'd think they'd be embarrassed.

watercolor

yeah yeah
oh no no! that is not what I was saying. I was not blaming this area, that is why I said that this area and world.

:) nothing against this area. not saying that at all. Sorry if it seemed that.

But I know, you would think that they would be embarassed to say such a thing. but ...*sigh* apparently not. *sigh*