St. Mary's Teacher Charged With Sexual Assault

K

Kain99

A St. Mary's County elementary school teacher has been charged with sexually assaulting a 15-year-old former student after he allegedly plied the boy with alcohol until he passed out, authorities said.

Charles J. McNevich, a physical education teacher at George Washington Carver Elementary School, was arrested Monday shortly after he acknowledged to detectives that he had fondled the boy and kissed him on April 27, according to charging documents in District Court.

It was unclear yesterday whether McNevich, 38, had retained a lawyer. He could not be reached for comment. The telephone at his home in Lexington Park does not ring unless the caller enters an access code.

McNevich has been placed on paid administrative leave by the school system pending the outcome of the case, said Edward Weiland, director of human resources for St. Mary's County schools.

The boy told police that while he was spending the night at the teacher's home with parental permission, McNevich gave him beer, according to the charging documents. The boy passed out and, when he awoke, McNevich was molesting him, according to the charging documents. Police said the boy told them he ran out of the house.

St. Mary's County sheriff's Detective William Raddatz said the boy told investigators that McNevich had given him alcohol several times recently. Raddatz said the boy, now in high school, was a student of McNevich's several years ago, and the two remained close as the child grew up.

The Washington Post generally does not reveal the identity of alleged victims of sexual abuse.

McNevich is charged with child abuse, fourth-degree sex offense, second-degree assault and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. He was released on $5,000 bond yesterday morning. Conviction of the most serious offense, child abuse, is punishable by up to 15 years in prison.

McNevich was named "teacher of the year" for St. Mary's County in the 2000-01 school year by the state Department of Education. The department praised McNevich for mixing physical education with other subjects, such as math, physics and creative writing.

In the fall 2000 edition of Maryland Classroom, a state Education Department newsletter, the department wrote, "Chuck's definition of an outstanding teacher is 'one who puts the needs of his students before his own.' "

McNevich has taught at Carver Elementary for at least 10 years, winning praise from colleagues, said Principal Mark Murphy.

"He is a highly skilled educator," Murphy said.:frown:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Kain99
"Chuck's definition of an outstanding teacher is 'one who puts the needs of his students before his own.' "

Interesting quote with all kinds of twisted meanings behind it.

What a loser. teacher of the year? This is the best you guys can come up with? I think we need a re-vote.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
while he was spending the night at the teacher's home with parental permission
Hello? Teachers typically don't invite students to spend the night and kids typically wouldn't want to anyway.

Teachers who molest their students should get the death penalty - that is such an unspeakable betrayal.

J

justhangn

I propose that they “restrain” this guy from a hook in the ceiling. (kind of like Iraqi questioning sessions we have all read about
devil-smiley-003.gif
)

Charge a small fee; of lets say $50, for 5 swings of a leather belt to be applied to wherever the user feels fit.

This will teach this pedophile a lesson he won’t soon forget, or possibly survive, and it will raise money for the kids counseling and/or education later.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by justhangn
Charge a small fee; of lets say $50, for 5 swings of a leather belt to be applied to wherever the user feels fit.
Why not a baseball bat? I would think that would be more effective. :boxing:

J

justhangn

Originally posted by RoseRed
Why not a baseball bat? I would think that would be more effective. :boxing:

I plan on being first and if I used a baseball bat, no one else would get to enjoyment of inflicting any pain on him. :biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
A small rant:

If judges would impose major penalties on criminals, I'll bet we'd see our crime rates go down. And if the BOE would quit taking any ol' freak who walks in the door and sticking them in a classroom, I'll bet we'd get a better education for our kids. Furthermore, if the government would put you in jail for filing a nuisance suit, people would quit wasting our courts' time and resources and we could all have a nice fat tax break.

Who do I blame for this? Why the Democrats, of course. They're the ones who put liberal judges on the bench, give the BOE so much power without accountability and allow stupid crap like tobacco and fat suits to go through.

Makavide

Not too talkative
Charles J. McNevich, a physical education teacher at George Washington Carver Elementary School, was arrested Monday shortly after he acknowledged to detectives that he had fondled the boy and kissed him on April 27, according to charging documents in District Court.

McNevich has been placed on paid administrative leave by the school system pending the outcome of the case,

He has admitted guilt, and they put him on PAID leave, amazing. He should have been fired immediatly

J

justhangn

Re: Re: St. Mary's Teacher Charged With Sexual Assault

Originally posted by Makavide
He has admitted guilt, and they put him on PAID leave, amazing. He should have been fired immediatly

from a cannon

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
He's also a teacher at Greenview Knolls

He wasn't exclusive at Carver Elementary, he was also the PE teacher at Greenview Knolls! It's mentioned in the Enterprise & I asked my daughter, who is a student there, who her PE teacher was - sure enough - McNevich. Seeing how she is 7, I didn't go into details on why she had a substitute teacher in PE yesterday.

:boo::burning: :boo: :burning: :boo: :burning:

My question is...why did we have to read about this first in the paper??? Why didn't the affected schools send home a letter yesterday giving us a head's up????

K

Kain99

Because the BOE would like nothing more than to sweep this incident under the carpet.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Because the BOE would like nothing more than to sweep this incident under the carpet.
Because they "care" so much about your child and have the students' best interests at heart! :twitch:

Ya'll St. Mary's-ites need to make a BIG stink about this. These are YOUR children! This is YOUR school board. This is YOUR tax money paying for this predator's "administrative leave".

K

Kain99

The Board of Ed is in Cover our azz mode! They envision 10 more kids coming out of the wood work with similar stories.

The BOE knows that these freaks usually get away with murder for a while before they are caught. I'm sure they are attempting to keep as low a profile as humanly possible.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Re: Re: St. Mary's Teacher Charged With Sexual Assault

Originally posted by Makavide
Maryland law appears to be a little strange on this subject. It seems that before removing a teacher that it must be recommended by someone from the BOE (even if it is misconduct in office) and then the BOE must give the employee ten days written notice to request a hearing. Hopefully that has already taken place. With any luck this maggot will be gone in just a few days and getting ready to start his next career as a jail-house b!tch (them convicts love child molesters).

J

justhangn

Re: He's also a teacher at Greenview Knolls

Originally posted by Voter2002
He wasn't exclusive at Carver Elementary, he was also the PE teacher at Greenview Knolls! It's mentioned in the Enterprise & I asked my daughter, who is a student there, who her PE teacher was - sure enough - McNevich. Seeing how she is 7, I didn't go into details on why she had a substitute teacher in PE yesterday.

:boo::burning: :boo: :burning: :boo: :burning:

My question is...why did we have to read about this first in the paper??? Why didn't the affected schools send home a letter yesterday giving us a head's up????

DUH, because you have a daughter:rolleyes:, he doesn't prey on girls!!

http

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Hello? Teachers typically don't invite students to spend the night and kids typically wouldn't want to anyway.

Teachers who molest their students should get the death penalty - that is such an unspeakable betrayal.

Uh, more importantly, parents don't let students spend the night at teachers' houses, do they? I blame the parents, if we have the whole story here. The teacher has a sickness, of course he's going to invite the kid over. But what parent would let that happen? The teacher is ill, but the parents are obviously retarded.

Voter2002

"Fill your hands you SOB!
DUH, because you have a daughter, he doesn't prey on girls!!

Can YOU gaurentee me that 100%?? Were you there??? He just happened to be caught with a boy - did he start with little girls? Do you know that for a fact???

I didn't think so!