`National Enquirer' Still More Accurate Than `New York Times'

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
PORTLAND, Ore. The current scandal with the "New York Times" over the editorial fakery provided by reporter Jayson Blair proves the newspaper has all the news that's fit -- to lie.

That's the opinion of former tabloid journalist Peter Fenton, who says the boo-boos Blair got away with at the "Times" never would have passed muster at a so-called "sleazy" supermarket weekly like the "National Enquirer."

Tabloid headlines are typically more sensational than the stodgy ones at the "Times" but Fenton says tabloid editors are more concerned with facts.

For instance, the "Enquirer" requires reporters to read direct quotes back to sources -- and get the response on tape. The "Times" doesn't do that, nor does it require reporters to provide contact numbers or even bother to check expense accounts to see what the journalist really did with his or her time.

Fenton says the so-called "fabri-gate" scandal was just waiting to happen, and figures it proves the "Enquirer" is still more reliable than the "New York Times."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
`National Enquirer' Still More Accurate Than `New York Times'...

...and the Washington Post combined.

The Jayson Blair story pisses me off. Talk about patronizing blacks! Instead of firing him like they would any other fake reporter, the Times kept him on simply because his race made them more diverse - he was their token. It's embarrassing and it's racist - but it doesn't surprise me coming from the Times.

K

Kain99

Reading between the lines of course....

I guess this means, that Aliens really have landed, there really is a two headed cat and Sharks have been conditioned by Castro to attack humans off the east coast.

Whew! What a relief! I thought I had been suckered again. :biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Catch up, Kain...that's the Weekly World News you're thinking of. The Enquirer dropped stories like that years ago. :razz:

K

Kain99

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Catch up, Kain...that's the Weekly World News you're thinking of. The Enquirer dropped stories like that years ago. :razz:

Oooooohhhhh! Guess I better start reading the headlines at the grocery store again. :blushing:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Sheesh, Kain - you must always get the fast lanes. I typically have time to read every magazine on the rack while I'm waiting. That's where I developed my love for the Bat Boy. :lol:

Bertha Venation

Re: Let's play...the "passing the blame" game!

Originally posted by jazz lady
Jayson Blair, the discredited reporter who sparked a plagiarism scandal at The New York Times that caused its top editors to resign, has finally explained himself, blaming his missteps on eccentricity and junk food.

Nope...I didn't do ANYTHING wrong...the junk food made me do it.

:duh:
The Twinkie Defense revisited? Unlike Dan White, at least Blair didn't kill anyone.

What, can't anyone just accept responsibility for his own actions in this world?