So I'm trolling the yard sales...

What factor makes you pull over to shop yard sales?

• Gotta have lots of kid stuff

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Clear signs & directions & list of goodies.

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Tools!...and/or Sporting goods

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • "Multi family" "Huge"..all in one area

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • Antiques & Collectables...unusual items

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • "Moving sale-Everything must go"-early start time

Votes: 16 33.3%
  • Only if there is one or more cars already there

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • No reason...I just like poking...maybe instinct of a bargain.

Votes: 14 29.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hessian

and I am curious what convinces people to stop -n-shop...

+++++NOTE: you can hit multiple answers!++++

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Something sitting out besides racks of clothing. Also if it's a nicer house you figure they're getting rid of some good stuff.

GopherM

Darwin was right
vraiblonde said:
Something sitting out besides racks of clothing. Also if it's a nicer house you figure they're getting rid of some good stuff.

:lmao: I look to see if the Amish are there. If it's good enough for them then I'm stoppin'. They were in my neighborhood last week at a couple of yard sales. I think they are trying to corner the market on used toasters.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
The stuff has to be on tables or at least up off the ground. I'm locking down on the binders if I even get a glimpse of any fishing rods. My wife drove by the dude that has been set up everyday on St. Andrew's Church and he had a kegerator out there...and no she did not stop.:ohwell:

dbquad1993

kom526 said:
My wife drove by the dude that has been set up everyday on St. Andrew's Church and he had a kegerator out there...and no she did not stop.:ohwell:
Oh the horror!! Buy her a new fridge and turn your old one into a kegerator!! Worked for my dh!! he now has one. Bought me an awesome new fridge. He got the old one to do with what he wanted!

Gwendolyn

dbquad1993 said:
Oh the horror!! Buy her a new fridge and turn your old one into a kegerator!! Worked for my dh!! he now has one. Bought me an awesome new fridge. He got the old one to do with what he wanted!

Sorry, what is a DH? Designated Hitter is all I get when I read that.

I've never actually stopped at a yard sale. I hate clutter and moving stuff one person didn't want anymore into my house so I can do the same thing in a few years doesn't really appeal to me. My mother loves the things though. I convinced one day she's going to be crushed to death by the boxes of yard sale stuff she has stored in the garage.

Hessian said:
and I am curious what convinces people to stop -n-shop...
If I see a hot looking chick in cutoffs and a tiny tee shirt handling the cash box I will stop and buy something.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
desertrat said:
If I see a hot looking chick in cutoffs and a tiny tee shirt handling the cash box I will stop and buy something.
Well, it's pretty apparent you've never seen that. I don't think the woman down the street selling the cheese cutting board was all that hot, but then, if you thought she was, I'm WAY hot.

virgovictoria

Tight Pants and Lipstick
PREMO Member
I like to hit yard sales; it's fun to browse and occasionally come across good deals. Mostly, I try to stick to decent neighborhoods and multi-family type events. :yay:

kom526

dbquad1993 said:
My "old" refrigerator is only 11 months old and I really like living here so if I took your advice I'd be homeless. :lmao:

Cowgirl

Most yard sales around here are at nasty people selling nasty old crap. I wouldn't even buy that crap to put in my trashcan. :lol: I think yardsaling around here is a hobby....the same houses have huge yardsales every week.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Cowgirl said:
Most yard sales around here are at nasty people selling nasty old crap.
You're not going to the right places, then. Cedar Cove has awesome yard sales with good furniture and all kinds of neat stuff.

Hessian

I shake my head in awe...

hearing of some really great finds: may of them the result of rummaging through a box of dusty--tarnished--odd ball stuff.
Things like WWII medals, real jewelry mixed in with costume stuff, valuable documents stuffed in old books, junky painted furniture with rare tiger maple underneath.

Those are the tales that keep me nosing around.

Who has the best surprise find???

Last week I bought a 40.00 book for 50 cents...cool.

Last edited:

kom526

Hessian said:
hearing of some really great finds: may of them the result of rummaging through a box of dusty--tarnished--odd ball stuff.
Things like WWII medals, real jewerly mixed in with costume stuff, valuable documents stuffed in old books, junky painted furniture with rare tiger maple underneath.

I got a brand new (never gassed up) Homelite commercial duty weedeater for $125 at a moving sale. I checked the retail on it and it was over $220 at the time. This was 11 years ago and it's still running great. :yay:

sockgirl77

vraiblonde said:
You're not going to the right places, then. Cedar Cove has awesome yard sales with good furniture and all kinds of neat stuff.
:yeahthat: Most of the neighborhoods have yard sales every weekend during peak season. I've gotten great deals out of Wildewood and that neighborhood across from Greenview Knolls. Oh and I bought a shiatload of Beanies from Nomo years ago in her hood. :yay:

Cowgirl

So I'm trolling the yar... 07-29-2007 09:32 AM you're retarded. not everyone/everything around here is trash. if you don'tlike it--move!!

Um, actually you're the retarded one, because I don't even live in Southern Maryland. :rolleyes: Now go back to your yardsale and sell some more junk. :buttkick:

Last edited:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Hessian said:
Things like WWII medals, real jewelry mixed in with costume stuff, valuable documents stuffed in old books, junky painted furniture with rare tiger maple underneath.

Last week I bought a 40.00 book for 50 cents...cool.
Bought a first edition tarzan book with two $10.00 silver certificates in it, paid 50 cents. The bills were printed in the 1930's, the book about ten years earlier. This was 20 years ago, but still have all three items.