Does Maryland do this as well?

milkshake1

I saw on the news this morning that DC and Va are having a tax free school shopping week. Does Maryland do this too? If so does any one know when?

Cowgirl

I shop in Deleware, so we never have to pay tax....:getdown: One of the perks of living so close to DE.

chevylover said:
I just googled it. It's August 23-27 .
Which is kinda silly, school starts on the 22nd, shouldn't they do it before? But it's not like the kids will really be doing much the first days.

milkshake1

All of the summer cloths at Target walmart and k-mart are on clearence now so i will pick up a few short set suits/sundresses to start them off in. I bet the stores will be packed when it starts too.

awpitt

Main Streeter
lulu belle said:
Which is kinda silly, school starts on the 22nd, shouldn't they do it before?
One would think that the tax holiday would be prior to the start of school. Just shows a lack of communication and coordination between the state and county levels.

MMDad

Lem Putt
FromTexas said:
All this over five freakin' percent...

Shopping a good sale does you better than that. :lmao:

:yeahthat: people pay full price, but don't pay tax and think they're getting a deal. Shop the sales and the tax doesn't matter.

It's all a stupid bribe to the taxpayers: "see, I gave you a tax holiday! Vote for me!" Unfortunately, stupid people fall for it.

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
brownda2 said:
unfortunately school starts in St. Mary's on Aug 22, the same thing happened to us last year.

But you will not know what the new teacher requires until after the first day of school, so no buying useless supplies.

Pandora

SeaRide said:

Thank O'Malley for that one! :biggrin:

I'm with FT, shopping on a good sale day does you better anyway. They jack the prices up, offer hardly any sales because knuckle heads think.... ohhhhhh we are saving 5%.

I just don't like O'Malley and found the perfect place to insert a snide comment.

Roberta said:
But you will not know what the new teacher requires until after the first day of school, so no buying useless supplies.
If you go to the school website, you can get a list of supplies. I know Staples & Walmart already have the lists too....

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Pandora said:
Thank O'Malley for that one! :biggrin:

I'm with FT, shopping on a good sale day does you better anyway. They jack the prices up, offer hardly any sales because knuckle heads think.... ohhhhhh we are saving 5%.

I just don't like O'Malley and found the perfect place to insert a snide comment.

O'Malley actually wanted to increase the tax during this time to 10% and give all the proceeds to fund a social program to get crack mothers from having to even leave their home to purchase their favorite treat.

bcp

In My Opinion
Its not about the 5%. Its about Maryland trying to put their hands in your pockets everytime you turn around.

I will spend the extra in gas to go to Delaware to avoid paying the tax in Maryland. All of my bigger ticket items (except cars) have almost always been purchased in Delaware.

so, whos up for an end of August group migration to the delaware malls for kids clothing shopping?
could make a day of it on a saturday. Go up, shop, eat, then drive on over to the drive in Movies.

that would be my plans for the day.