MSP bravery

T

tikipirate

I was returning from lunch today, via Gate 3 of the base, when I noticed something rather odd. A Maryland State Trooper had pulled over a bicycle, and was giving the rider of the aforementioned bicycle a citation.

WTF?

The brave Trooper was standing with legs apart, shoulders squared, wearing his body armor and sunglasses. The cyclist looked like "My name is Earl", obviously wasn't riding a bicycle for the health benefits, and also obviously couldn't afford the costs of some jackazz citation.

What is up with the MSP?

Kinda makes me wish I could snap my fingers and take this MSP officer back to the day when Detroit Police used to hunker down under the sill of the squadcar and speed past Birney Elementary. Maybe our brave Trooper would learn the difference between a 30 year old bicyclist with a beard and a 10 year old boy on a bicycle with a MAC-10.

Oh, the fun we could have!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Boys_Inc.

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyReb

I obviously was not there, but perhaps the violation was such that it required corrective action?

Regardless of income level, people must comply with society's laws or face the consequences.

That being said, officer discretion is a wonderful thing and "generally" speaking State Troopers have a black and white personality in my expirence. Local officers tend to see that there are shades of grey in life (again, generally speaking).

T

tikipirate

JohnnyReb said:
I obviously was not there, but perhaps the violation was such that it required corrective action?

Regardless of income level, people must comply with society's laws or face the consequences.

That being said, officer discretion is a wonderful thing and "generally" speaking State Troopers have a black and white personality in my expirence. Local officers tend to see that there are shades of grey in life (again, generally speaking).

I was thinking that also... But watching the MSP officer writing the citation to the poor bastard just bent me the wrong way.

Just what kind of infraction could the cyclist have infracted that a state cop would write him up on a side road?

Last edited by a moderator:

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
tikipirate said:
I was thinking that also... But watching the MSP officer writing the citation to the poor bastard just bent me the wrong way.

Just what kind of infraction could the cyclist have infracted that a state cop would write him up on a side road?

If you bothers you so much, why didn't you just stop and ask? I am only asking because you post jus bends me the wrong way.

T

tikipirate

Roberta said:
If you bothers you so much, why didn't you just stop and ask? I am only asking because you post jus bends me the wrong way.

I was tempted to stop and ask, but I realized that a civilian getting involved in a 'traffic stop' is the dumbest thing one can do.

"Pardonnez-moi, mais avez-vous du Grey Poupon?"

Nein, danke. This isn't my first rodeo.

I'm just more than a bit pi$$ed off that MSP can afford officers who are bored enough to pull over down-on-their-luck bicyclists. Calvert County can afford a full-on SWAT team, complete with play-military uniforms.

And all of this comes out of the huge GWoT pot. Beating up on honest citizens is NOT what that money was meant for!!!

If these folks want to play soldier, let them go to the real sandbox, instead of terrorizing the SoMD populace and going home to momma every night.

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
tikipirate said:
I was tempted to stop and ask, but I realized that a civilian getting involved in a 'traffic stop' is the dumbest thing one can do.

"Pardonnez-moi, mais avez-vous du Grey Poupon?"

Nein, danke. This isn't my first rodeo.

I'm just more than a bit pi$$ed off that MSP can afford officers who are bored enough to pull over down-on-their-luck bicyclists. Calvert County can afford a full-on SWAT team, complete with play-military uniforms.

And all of this comes out of the huge GWoT pot. Beating up on honest citizens is NOT what that money was meant for!!!
If these folks want to play soldier, let them go to the real sandbox, instead of terrorizing the SoMD populace and going home to momma every night.

How do you know he was an honest citizen? You just drove by saw them on the side of the road and came to your own conclusions. You have no way to REALLY know what was going on, but you form your oponions...........
:lalala: :lalala: :lalala:

T

tikipirate

Roberta said:
Why don't you, Dick Head and Elaine form your own personal "COP HATING" FOURM?

I don't hate cops!!! I hate abuse of power and stupidity.

Sorry to hit you from both sides.

slaphappynmd

tikipirate said:

I got a ticket while riding my bicycle, I went through an intersection, without stopping, no hands on the handle bars, and no helmet. $170, I was 12.

Vince

slaphappynmd said:
I got a ticket while riding my bicycle, I went through an intersection, without stopping, no hands on the handle bars, and no helmet. $170, I was 12.
I never wore a helmet when I rode a bicycle back when I was a kid. Had lots of falls/accidents and it didn't hurt my brain much. :jameo: :confused: :bonk: :dead: :twitch:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
slaphappynmd said:

Good thing your dog wasn't with you.

*bang, bang* "he was coming right at me"

GopherM

Darwin was right
tikipirate said:

And how would it have been if he was possibly drunk and instead of being stopped by a trooper, he happened to fall off his bike or swerve in front of you and get flattened by you as you drove past. No telling why he was stopped, but I believe that troopers and deputies don't stop cyclists and pedestrians unless there is a reason, and it's probably a lot of trouble to strip off the body armor and put it back on even if they are 100% positive the situation is not life threatening to them. :bigwhoop:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
tikipirate said:

I don't agree with your gripe, but that was some kinda' funny. :lmao:

I don't see why cyclists shouldn't get tickets if they do something wrong. A lot of them seem to think the rules of the road don't apply to them. Well, guess what? You use the road, the rules apply. Live with it.

Charles

slaphappynmd said:
How can that be? You're only 10 now.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Having been involved in not one, but TWO accidents involving wayward cyclists, I say cops should execute them on the spot if they see them breaking traffic laws. Driving the wrong way against traffic, blowing through red lights.....maybe they don't give a crap, but it would have sure ruined my day if I'd killed one of them.

And I must specify that these were not "cyclists" that tried to commit suicide in front of my car, as in someone who bikes seriously, but punks on bikes who shouldn't be allowed off their own sidewalk.

So I'm sure that cop had a reason to hassle that guy on the bike.

Toxick

Splat
tikipirate said:

Swerving into traffic.
Littering.
Public drunkenness.
Flashing his coin-purse at passers-by.
Being a redneck in a No-Redneck Zone.

There's plenty of infractions a cyclist can commit.

awpitt

Main Streeter
tikipirate said:
I was returning from lunch today, via Gate 3 of the base, when I noticed something rather odd. A Maryland State Trooper had pulled over a bicycle, and was giving the rider of the aforementioned bicycle a citation.

WTF?
When riding a bicycle, you are subject to the same laws you are when driving a motor vehicle. The MST must have had a reason.

Merlin

Registered Smarta$$
tikipirate said:

WTF?

I went by at around the same time. The cyclist was on his knees and the trooper was handcuffing him...I guessing not just a moving violation

smcop

slaphappynmd said:

Where did this happen?