Where's all the crabs at?

GreenHornet

Took the kids crabbing yesterday at the Solomons Island Navy Rec center and we only caught two very small crabs in 2 hours. I remember last year at this time you could practically scoop them out of the water with a net!

What gives????

D

dems4me

Nanny Pam said:
Dems caught them all. :lol:

:lol: I'm not having much luck either... we need rain or a good storm to move them in.... I don't blame them much. I usually swim in the Patuxent in between crabbing and this weekend I noted the water tasted :barf: Alot saltier and funky tasting... not that I purposely taste it but sometimes you get some splashed in your mouth. Water doesn't taste the same and I don't blame the crabs for not wanting to be in this water the way it is. :shrug:

ImnoMensa

Seems like every crabber has a reason for there not being any crabs.

Some of those reasons may even be right. No one really knows I guess. This is the worst crab season I remember in my 65 years.

We havent had rain, the oxygen levels in the water are low ,no grasses, at least not in the Potomac. The rains havent flushed out the rivers. Perhaps its just a bad season.
Certainly the water is more salty also,I noticed that.

I went out the other day and watched one waterman fish his pots. He may have gotten 5 crabs from ten pots. . I watched ,and couldnt of course see his culls.
He told me he wasnt making what it cost to bait his pots and was threatening to take them up. Several have already taken them up, leaving just enough so they can judge if the crabs return. Soft Crabs? What are they havent had one this year and I usually push net the shore and get enough to last me till Christmas. By this time of the year I have usually gotten enough from the Trot line to have picked out 10 to 20 lbs. of crabmeat and put it in the freezer. I dont have one crab cake made up. Its that bad.

From what I have gathered it is better in the Patuxent ,than in the Potomac, but we arent doing much over here. Even in the Wicomico crabs are damned scarce. To make things worse I dont see any small crabs. Leaving not much hope for next year.

There are a few perch, some pretty nice ones ,otherwise the only reason to keep a boat right now is to enjoy riding up and down the river there sure doesnt seem to be much in it.

Makes me kind of wonder what the Virginia boys are doing over in the James.

GreenHornet

vanbells said:
I am in need of some MD blue crabs. I am dying.

We ended up buying some from the van in Roses parking lot, pretty tasty! They always seem to taste better though when you catch them yourself.

It doesn't look like there's any storms heading this way so maybe this season is a wash!

M

Mousebaby

Ok, this is bugging the pizz out of me. Its either, "where are the crabs?" or "where have the crabs gone?" NOT "Where are the crabs at?" Its a dangling participle, it doesn't work. :takingdeepbreathin: ok, rant over, carry on. :lmao:

slotted

Mousebaby said:
Ok, this is bugging the pizz out of me. Its either, "where are the crabs?" or "where have the crabs gone?" NOT "Where are the crabs at?" Its a dangling participle, it doesn't work. :takingdeepbreathin: ok, rant over, carry on. :lmao:
I think it's supposed to be....

Where is all the crabs at? :roflmao:

Mikeinsmd

Mousebaby said:
I was going to respond and say "Hiding under the "at".

vanbells

Pookieboo!!!
GreenHornet said:
We ended up buying some from the van in Roses parking lot, pretty tasty! They always seem to taste better though when you catch them yourself.

It doesn't look like there's any storms heading this way so maybe this season is a wash!

Hmmmm...what kind of crabs did you get at Roses?! :jameo:

GreenHornet

Alright very funny, pick on the new guy. For now on I shall attempt to be more grammatically correct.

To answer a few questions; I don't know K_Jo, but I'm sorry to hear she has crabs. The crabs I purchased from Roses were indeed very tasty although I'll admit that purchasing crabs from a van in the parking lot of a strip club is odd.... Now where have those very tasty crabs gone?

Better?

cartman

I deliver crabs for a guy out of piney point and he said in his 50+ years on the water this is the worst seasons he has ever seen. he has taken up most of his pots and told his customers that he ships too to not expect much unless he gets some from down south.

SLIM

Mousebaby said:

Okay, okay! How's this? 'My mother, she ain't got no nothin'. :killingme

GopherM

Darwin was right
Stange association you present there, getting you crabs in Roses parking lot. I know what you're saying...but still!