My male cat

J

jp2854

Has decided he doesn't want to eat either of the 2 things of catfood we have to offer him. I gave him some real chicken tonight and he scarfed it down as he hasn't eaten since 10am and when he ate then he chowed down too. I was wondering if there is anything i can give him between now and monday am that I know he will eat (I don't have any wetfood on hand) and don't know what i can put in his food that I know he will like the taste of to last him the weekend and I really don't want to be feeding him human food all weekend to get him to eat.

W

Wenchy

jp2854 said:
Has decided he doesn't want to eat either of the 2 things of catfood we have to offer him. I gave him some real chicken tonight and he scarfed it down as he hasn't eaten since 10am and when he ate then he chowed down too. I was wondering if there is anything i can give him between now and monday am that I know he will eat (I don't have any wetfood on hand) and don't know what i can put in his food that I know he will like the taste of to last him the weekend and I really don't want to be feeding him human food all weekend to get him to eat.

If he's hungry he will eat.

This is my mantra with my children and with my animals.

If he's in danger of starving to death when there is "normal" food in front of him then it might be his time to go.

Is he sick or toofless and can't eat dry catfood?

J

jp2854

NO he has all his teeth and he can eat his food he is just choosing not to eat it. He is only 5yrs of age. He has a heartmurmur but was fine earlier and slept in my lap some today. He seems to just show more interest in what I am eating than his food. I even tried to mix his cat treats in with the food like i did lastnight and he ate some of his food and treats but today he wants jack to do with that idea.

W

Wenchy

jp2854 said:
NO he has all his teeth and he can eat his food he is just choosing not to eat it. He is only 5yrs of age. He has a heartmurmur but was fine earlier and slept in my lap some today. He seems to just show more interest in what I am eating than his food. I even tried to mix his cat treats in with the food like i did lastnight and he ate some of his food and treats but today he wants jack to do with that idea.

Stop spoiling him. He will eat the dry food you put out for him if he's hungry. Never share your food with him or that will be all he wants.

That's the best advice I can give you.

J

jp2854

Thanks I am going to quit giving the thief my food and hopefully he will want to eat by sunday since he will be hungry i bet by then if not monday I will go pick him up some wetfood and see if he will eat that as he is already skinny as a rail

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Like Wenchy said he will eat when he is ready...dont give in before he does..place the food and ignore him and the food..he will eat it..he wont starve himself to death..

W

Wenchy

jp2854 said:

That is part of your problem right there. Treats?

Animals need basic food, water and quality interaction with their humans. They don't need treats.

He will be fine as soon as you stop spoiling him. :lol:

kbeachcat123

Jack Russells RULE!
It's probably the heat. Just make sure he has plenty of fresh clean water. If he starts acting "wierd" (i.e. intensly aggressive, etc) take him to the vet. A lot of animals (humans included) become lethargic in high heat/humidity.

BTW, my cat (female) Keesha is 17 years old. After her wellness check last week, the vet said he has never seen a healthier 17-year old animal. << sigh >> so much for that new kitten I was hoping for.

J

jp2854

I hope so....I am going to ignore him for the next few days with treats and stuff i eat since he always seems to get his paws in everything I mean everything he can think of from my salad to my dessert. I don't purposefully give it to him he steals it. I just have to make sure he can't get into anything I am eating and let him cry the blues for the next few days til he understands he is only getting his catfood and that is it as he wont see a treat for the next 3months or so as I want to ween him totally off of them.

I

Inkpen

jp2854 said:
I hope so....I am going to ignore him for the next few days with treats and stuff i eat since he always seems to get his paws in everything I mean everything he can think of from my salad to my dessert. I don't purposefully give it to him he steals it. I just have to make sure he can't get into anything I am eating and let him cry the blues for the next few days til he understands he is only getting his catfood and that is it as he wont see a treat for the next 3months or so as I want to ween him totally off of them.

WOW..He has you so well trained!!!
Feed him dry food, fresh water and that is it.

It is hard to be owned by a cat...I have 6 and they all try the Poor Me trick...no longer works..All get dry food and water...available 24/7.
Good Luck!!!
And others are right...a hungry cat will eat and not willingly starve itself to death.
They are finicky...not stupid...... :howdy:

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
jp2854 said:
if not monday I will go pick him up some wetfood and see if he will eat that as he is already skinny as a rail

Why do you have to wait until Monday?
It is not good for cats to just eat dry food.

J

jp2854

Dr food is all I have in the house. When I go for my bikeride I might see if the mini mart by my house has catfood at it and if they do I might pick up a few cans but if not monday will be it and he will have to wait. The only thing that worries me is he is skinny as a rail and him not eating could make him weak and I don't want that as he is my baby.

J

jp2854

well he's not going to get that much wetfood just 1 small can a day and that is it. Hopefully inbetween he will eat his food. I think i might have to switch it to something else he seems to love the chicken flavored wetfood I got him right now. Cat told me to stay away from seafood so I am listening to her on that. She also gives her cats wetfood and dryfood which isn't that bad I guess as long as he still eats some dryfood to help his teeth from getting bad.

J

jp2854

Well I took picasso to the vet yesterday and he is very anemic they don't know what the cause is they are still running blood tests they did say that he has an infection from the urine they tested and hes got a lot of protein in it too. They are sending that off to have more stuff done to it that they can't test in the office. They are also sending more of his blood off to be tested for thyroid problems and other stuff. She did also say he could possibly have cancer too which I hope isn't the case.

He is on an antibiotic now and a appetite stimulant too she wants to see if we can get him to eat more than 1tablespoon full of food at a time well he did this am he at 1plus a little when i fed him at 645 after feeding him at 6 after he got his first round of everything.

I also learned that a cat can't go 1 day without eating it could do damage to there liver did you all know that?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
You know, JP, when a cat is really sick...with cancer, kidney failure, whatever, they will not eat and there's really no forcing them to eat. It's sad..but like we discussed he's lost a third of his body weight..that's not good and is a sure sign that he's seriously ill and not just being picky about his food.

It sure sounds like my last 4 older cats that died from cancer. You cannot always be sure until it's very close to the end, cats are very good at hiding illness.

Good luck with him...but don't let him suffer, either.

J

jp2854

I don't plan on letting him suffer the vet gave me a food stimulator pill for him to make him want to eat. So far hes eating 3 forkfulls of food in 3hrs. The vet is just hoping its a kidney infection we will find out hwen she gets the rest of the test results back. Mom and I are both hoping its not cancer. I am doing everything I can to keep him warm and comfortable. I think I might stop by petco in the next few days nd buy him a sweater to keep him warm. He can't even hold his own head up hes got his nose int he carpet that is how weak he is but the vet said its because hes anemic. One of the other ladies on the forum suggested the I buy him food with iron in it. The vet also said to me to buy him some fish flavored food as it is really stinky and he will go for it. She seems to think right now hes nausiated that is why hes nto eating much and hes anemic so that makes him very weak. We are trying to pinpoint the actual cause of all of this so we can get whatever it is under control. If it is cancer I will do all in my powers to keep him comfortable and will do what the vet suggests in form of treatments for him too. I just can't lose another cat right now it was 6yrs ago yesterday that my male cat was diagnosed with diabetis and 2yrs after that had to be put to sleep this is just so depressing for me. Please dont get mad for all the run on here I am exhausted spent 3/4 of thenight up with my baby (the cat) and am very tired today probably will nap later if I can.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
jp2854 said:
I don't plan on letting him suffer the vet gave me a food stimulator pill for him to make him want to eat. So far hes eating 3 forkfulls of food in 3hrs. The vet is just hoping its a kidney infection we will find out hwen she gets the rest of the test results back. Mom and I are both hoping its not cancer. I am doing everything I can to keep him warm and comfortable. I think I might stop by petco in the next few days nd buy him a sweater to keep him warm. He can't even hold his own head up hes got his nose int he carpet that is how weak he is but the vet said its because hes anemic. One of the other ladies on the forum suggested the I buy him food with iron in it. The vet also said to me to buy him some fish flavored food as it is really stinky and he will go for it. She seems to think right now hes nausiated that is why hes nto eating much and hes anemic so that makes him very weak. We are trying to pinpoint the actual cause of all of this so we can get whatever it is under control. If it is cancer I will do all in my powers to keep him comfortable and will do what the vet suggests in form of treatments for him too. I just can't lose another cat right now it was 6yrs ago yesterday that my male cat was diagnosed with diabetis and 2yrs after that had to be put to sleep this is just so depressing for me. Please dont get mad for all the run on here I am exhausted spent 3/4 of thenight up with my baby (the cat) and am very tired today probably will nap later if I can.

I understand you not wanting to lose another cat. But if it is cancer or if he doesn't improve soon, please be strong and allow him to go in peace.

J

jp2854

I will cat don't worry. I just can't see putting him down today. I am going to wait and see what the vet says tomorrow when she calls me with more of his lab results unless something really changes between now and 6pm. I been cuddling with him all morning long hes is my lapcat and my baby. I will do what is right. When it is time for me to say goodbye I will like I did wiht my other male cat. I can't see letting a cat suffer I am not that way.