Defeated Candidates Turn To Web for Self-Expression

K

Kain99

Call them the point-counterpoint of St. Mary's County.

On the right, there's Vernon Gray. On the left, meet Clare Whitbeck. Citizen activists who ran unsuccessfully last fall from different parties for county commissioner, they track the policies and the politicians from their own vantage points .

Never shy about expressing themselves in public, their perspectives are now on view on the Internet, where each has a Web site. You'll find Gray at www.smchronicle.com and Whitbeck at users.rcn.com/lwhitbeck/.

Gray's site offers biting commentary on the actions of the people who run the county. Since January, he has vented online in seven editions of the publication he calls The St. Mary's Chronicle.

A recent issue takes the commissioners to task for "petty politics" and for glossing over property tax increases stemming from higher assessments. A section attacking a vote by U.S. Rep. Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) is headlined "Hoyer's Hooey."

Whitbeck sees herself, at least on the Internet, as more scribe than screed, supplementing the commissioners' official meeting minutes with her own stream-of-consciousness rendition.

"I take notes, pretending I'm a reporter," Whitbeck said. "I don't always get the quotes straight. Sometimes, if I want to put it in quotes, I go back and watch the [meeting] tape."

Whitbeck, of Leonardtown, takes an expansive view of the role of government. Gray, who lives in California, is more conservative on such matters.

Though they often disagree on issues, Whitbeck and Gray say they share a common goal of getting information to the public.

"The Web site came about as an attempt to put together in one place a comprehensive compilation of what our elected officials do," said Gray. "The problem is people have a short memory."

Whitbeck observed, "We have a problem in this community with perceptions versus reality."

"The only way to fight it is to put information out and hope people will pay attention, which apparently didn't do either of us any good," she said. "Neither of us got elected, but we're both out here driving the administration crazy. It's our duty."

Walter Vernon Gray III grew up in Prince George's County and has lived in St. Mary's in Navy and civilian life, consecutively since 1976. He is currently flight support manager for the Naval Aviation Warfare Center at Patuxent River Naval Air Station.

Whitbeck, a former bookkeeper and public school teacher, came to the county five years ago from southern Anne Arundel County, after a longer residency in Howard County.

Whitbeck mounted her first campaign for county office last year and lost in the Democratic primary. Gray ran first as a Democrat in 1990 and 1994, then switched parties and ran as a Republican in 1998 and 2002, never making it into office.

But electoral defeat has not silenced either of them. In addition to his Web site, which he launched a few months ago, Gray, 55, continues to write a weekly column for the St. Mary's Today newspaper, which has published him regularly since 1992.

Whitbeck, 62, teaches private voice lessons but is for the most part retired and spends much of her time going to county government meetings. She then posts her reports online. They are long on detail and short on spin.

However, her reports sometimes contain illuminating tidbits, as in her account of the April 8 commissioners meeting. "Ken Dement now has a cell phone" and received two calls during one discussion, she wrote of Commissioner Kenneth R. Dement (R-Calloway), a fact not recorded in the official minutes.

Whitbeck also reported at length on concerns expressed by commission President Thomas F. McKay (R-At Large) about published reports of personnel changes discussed in executive session. The official minutes gave his remarks one line.

Gray, in his commentary, sided with McKay, and then "by process of elimination" opined on who might have leaked the alleged actions to the media.

"Really, our two Web sites are apples and oranges," said Gray. "I'm trying to document a broad set of elected officials and what they are doing." On the issues, Whitbeck and Gray don't always disagree. "We certainly agree on the issue of having open honest government," said Gray.

Both also agree on the need for more affordable housing in the county. "My conservatism is somewhat concentrated on fiscal issues," said Gray. "On social issues, I use a different standard of what's right, wrong, fair, unfair."

Left over from their unsuccessful candidacies, each still has a campaign Web site on the Internet, but that's a whole different "url."

Neither claims any special computer expertise. Whitbeck said she found a "nifty little software package" for $49 "that does the job." Gray said his oldest son, who is an actuary "and a computer type," designed his Web site.

Gray said his site receives between 200 and 300 visits each month. Whitbeck said hers -- which doesn't automatically pop up under her name in search engines -- has had about 200 visits over the last six months. "People keep asking me, 'Where's your Web site?' " she said. "I keep walking around with little cards with the Web address."

demsformd

Ok now that I read the Chronicle, it is apparent that Gray is just sour that he was one of only two Republicans to lose their commissioner race.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by demsformd
Ok now that I read the Chronicle, it is apparent that Gray is just sour that he was one of only two Republicans to lose their commissioner race.
Nah, that clown has been sour for quite a while, long before he was officially branded as a loser.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Vern actually said he was going to stop writing after losing for the (3rd straight?) time. I wish we could hold the loser to that campaign promise.

demsformd

Originally posted by Oz
Vern actually said he was going to stop writing after losing for the (3rd straight?) time. I wish we could hold the loser to that campaign promise.

This whacko has lost 4 straight times and this last time was the only time that he won a primary. He has ran twice as a Democrat then he changed to the GOP to run in 1998. After he lost the primary he switched to the Reform party and then back in 2002 to run as a Republican again. I cannot believe that a nut like this could even get 41% of the vote.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Well, changing parties is part of SMC politics. I think if I were to ever run for office, I'd change parties to reflect the best opportunity to make it to the general election. I would still be fiscally conservative, and then take it from there. But, as you said, Vernon has heard the voices of county voters, and still prefers to hear his own voice. After saying that he would attend the forums if he made it through the primary, he lied and attacked the organizations that produced the forums. All I know is that he got exactly what he deserved, AGAIN!

K

Kain99

At least Vernon has the Kahuna's to keep fighting! Claire has changed my mind..... since she joined the forums, I really respect her! Uses her real name: No B.S. I like her now - even if we sometimes disagree!

Look at the other loosers.... where are they? Suddenly, they don't give a crap about the county? Puhlease!

So in my opinion, Vernon and Claire deserve more respect and more honor than the other candidates!

I think that time tells all..................Even if we didn't see it!

Vernon, learn from your mistakes! :wink:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Vernon deserves ZERO respect after his lie, and tacky little cartoon.

I don't disagree with Vernon. His true colors are what I don't like.

I totally disagree with Mrs Whitbeck. But she, on the other hand, has class. (Although I still question that lawsuit!)

demsformd

Vernon Gray's excessively negative campaign against Dan Raley was absolutely deplorable. And then to accuse Mr. Raley of such negativity that provoked the attacks. Gray distorted the truth and there is no possible way that he should ever be put on any local government board.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Vernon Gray's excessively negative campaign against Dan Raley was absolutely deplorable. And then to accuse Mr. Raley of such negativity that provoked the attacks. Gray distorted the truth and there is no possible way that he should ever be put on any local government board.

Amen DFM!

I voted for Gray solely on the fact that his name wasn't Raley.

Well, thank goodness we're in America and people who haven't a clue can cast their vote in whatever way, for whatever reason they choose.

demsformd

Originally posted by OliveOyl
Inserting my comment...

I voted for Gray solely on the fact that his name wasn't Raley.

I would really like to know why you would have such a problem with the Raley family? You know that they were one of the first families here and that their efforts are what to a large effect made this county? Just what did they do to you? The Raleys that I know from my childhood were all nice people with great morals. So what is so bad about them? Inquiring minds would like to know.

Ken King

PREMO Member
I would really like to know why you would have such a problem with the Raley family? You know that they were one of the first families here and that their efforts are what to a large effect made this county? Just what did they do to you? The Raleys that I know from my childhood were all nice people with great morals. So what is so bad about them? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Probably gave birth to her. :lmao:

OliveOyl

Ok, the truth about Olive's ideas...

I lived in SoMD for four years. Nothing changed, there was no planning when development occured, everything continued to go downhill. Digging up 235 seems to be a never-ending process.

Therefore, it seemed to me that the commissioners had not made any POSITIVE changes to the county and its progress. Therefore I relate many of the non-growth, negative ideas back to the original "founders" of your "lovely" area.

So, when I had the opportunities to vote, I did my best to rid the county of lingering locals (Raleys, etc.), hoping to get some new blood into the county that would make some positive changes.

Obviously nothing will ever change there, so I did the next best thing...I left.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by OliveOyl
Now that wouldn't be any fun.

I couldn't watch you get mad.:popcorn:
Who is mad? Not me, I like helping you look stupid.

Got to go, my dog wants to be entertained now and I would rather play with the smarter one.

OliveOyl

Originally posted by Ken King
Who is mad? Not me, I like helping you look stupid.

:nerd:

Got to go, my dog wants to be entertained now and I would rather play with the smarter one.

Ken, you truly are the :king:

I wish I could be smart like you and own a dawg :notworthy:
I feel empowered by your presence.