Rescued Baby Turtle

B

Bronwyn

Hubby found a baby turtle at work covered in Polymer. He cleaned it off and brought it home to show our 4 yr old son. We thought we might try to keep it as a pet. Its only about the size of a quarter, and hubby says it's a box turtle. I've never owned a turtle, only snakes and an Iguana. Need some advice. 1st is should we really be keeping it or will it be better off if we put it out in the woods?

We set it up in a cage. Water, food, wood chips etc. I take him out every day and set him in a large shallow pan, slightly tilted, with a small amount of water that pools at the lower end. I put in some food. I just need to see how he's doing, because when he's in the cage, he burrows under all the vegitation. So far I have observed him eating and drinking. He is pretty active when I put him in the pan.

Anyone ever cared for a turtle before????

B

Bronwyn

cattitude said:
I'm not supposed to butt into other people's business, but I'd let him go.

That's what I'm looking for. A little advice. Keep him? Let him go? Turn him over to a rescue service?

Either way. I'm glad hubby saved him and we got him cleaned up.

stlrnd4

Bronwyn said:
Hubby found a baby turtle at work covered in Polymer. He cleaned it off and brought it home to show our 4 yr old son. We thought we might try to keep it as a pet. Its only about the size of a quarter, and hubby says it's a box turtle. I've never owned a turtle, only snakes and an Iguana. Need some advice. 1st is should we really be keeping it or will it be better off if we put it out in the woods?

We set it up in a cage. Water, food, wood chips etc. I take him out every day and set him in a large shallow pan, slightly tilted, with a small amount of water that pools at the lower end. I put in some food. I just need to see how he's doing, because when he's in the cage, he burrows under all the vegitation. So far I have observed him eating and drinking. He is pretty active when I put him in the pan.

We've had turtles, my husband kept picking up the ones that were crossing the road and bringing them home. 3 three females layed eggs in our yard. I do know the babies eat more meat than the adults, mine liked worms (not too many) and the japaneze beetles sp? tomatos and fruit. When it starts getting cold out you should let him/her hybernate, let the tank get cooler and the lighting should follow the lighting outside. Only a few websites we found about baby turtles, not a whole lot is known. I just recently let my babies go to be wild again.

Bronwyn said:

If you want to keep him, be aware that turtles have a VERY VERY LONG lifespan. Once you domesticate him, he can't be released. You could do what a buddy of mine did as a yute. Put the turtle outside and build a large frame around it (in excess of 8' to a side) where the turtle can be "free" but provide it with natural food (worms) in a single location. It will still have the benefits of being "free" but will come to expect to find food in that location, but will also know to go other places to find food. He did tht with a turtle one year and it came back every year for atleast 5 years. After the first year, he did not put the frame around it.

A family in California (I think) had a turtle that took up residence under a shrub. They would feed it. This went on for like 10 years. When they sold the house, taking care of the turtle was a rider on the contract.

You could also give the turtle to me. I'd like to show it to my kids, and take it to a cub scout meeting to show off, and then release it in the woods behind my house.

Gwydion

A couple things to note.

Box turtles when hatched are not nursed or cared for by anybody. So, if you were to release it, its not like it would be condemned to death without the care of its mother.

If you DO decide to release it, have your husband put it back close to where he found it. If you don't it can have detrimental effects on the turtle because it will spend a lot of time trying to find its way "home". Turtles usually try and stay very close to where they were born, so that they can have almost guarunteed mates.

Box turtles average life is 40 YEARS, some have lived to be over 100. IF you do commit to having this as a pet, understand you are commiting to something for that long. If you are NOT commited for something that long....release it now.

But, they do make fun pets, and they are always fun to watch scurry around. When I was younger we had 4 that we kept in a chicken wired fence in my back yard. We built a small pond and put in sme nice foliage. They do require a decent amount of space when they get larger. You have reptiles already, so I am sure you are aware of all that goes into caring for pets.

Choice is yours, I loved the ones I had when I was younger.

M

Mousebaby

Bronwyn said:

Have you looked it up on the internet to make sure its a box turtle? Are you sure its a box turtle? Because we have a lot of different species of turtes here. Can you post a pic of the turtle? :popcorn:

Woodyspda

Mousebaby said:
Have you looked it up on the internet to make sure its a box turtle? Are you sure its a box turtle? Because we have a lot of different species of turtes here. Can you post a pic of the turtle? :popcorn:

I've only come across numerous box turtles and one very large snapping turtle(St. Mary's City)....

what other species are there around here???????

M

Mousebaby

I'm not real sure about all the land turtles, but there are also the red eared sliders that live in area waters. I am just curious if she got her hands on a slider because she said he was more active in the water. :shrug:

B

Bronwyn

Okay, I'm not very good with the camera. The flash made him a bright blur, so I turned it off. I didn't want to traumatize him too much, so I just snapped a few.

Attachments

• HPIM0891.jpg
    HPIM0891.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 182
  • HPIM0906.jpg
    HPIM0906.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 170
M

Mousebaby

Bronwyn said:
Okay, I'm not very good with the camera. The flash made him a bright blur, so I turned it off. I didn't want to traumatize him too much, so I just snapped a few.

Can't tell much cause when I click on the pic it is so tiny. It looks more like a water turtle to me. See if you put a swimming area in his cage and see if he stays in the water. Also, check his little feet for webbings, if he has webbed feet he is definitely a water turtle. He would be best kept in a pond or a large body of water with fish and such. Good Luck and let me know if he has webbed feet. I'm very curious! :huggy:

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
Woodyspda said:
I've only come across numerous box turtles and one very large snapping turtle(St. Mary's City)....

what other species are there around here???????

You can check on DNR's website. They have a list of all reptiles in MD.

Just a note as to keeping or releasing: In addition to being a bad idea, it is illegal in MD to release them back into the wild if kept for more than 30 days.

As to the long life span, that's pretty standard for herps.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Awww. I say keep him since you've already had him for a little while. I :love: turtles and I think he's adorable. I'd be real curious as well to know if his feet are webbed.

B

Bronwyn

migtig said:
Awww. I say keep him since you've already had him for a little while. I :love: turtles and I think he's adorable. I'd be real curious as well to know if his feet are webbed.

His feet are webbed. Now I have to figure what kind of turtle it is. Hubby said it was a box turtle, tonight he said maybe it's a snapper??

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Bronwyn said:
His feet are webbed. Now I have to figure what kind of turtle it is. Hubby said it was a box turtle, tonight he said maybe it's a snapper??

does not look like a box or a snapper..snappers have long long tails..boxs have yellow markingings on their shell...can you post a HUGE picture of him that we can see??

M

Mousebaby

Bronwyn said:

Its a baby red eared slider! It needs water to live. You need to either release it back into the body of water that is near where your hubby works, or you need to provide it with a good setup. Check the internet to get ideas on what you need. Please hurry in getting what he needs. He needs special diet as he is a worm, fish, basically a meat eater. Hope this helps! :howdy:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Mousebaby said:
Its a baby red eared slider! It needs water to live. You need to either release it back into the body of water that is near where your hubby works, or you need to provide it with a good setup. Check the internet to get ideas on what you need. Please hurry in getting what he needs. He needs special diet as he is a worm, fish, basically a meat eater. Hope this helps! :howdy:

I dont think it is a slider...its body is too tall..sliders are shorter bodied...give me a good pic I will tell you what it is..

A red earred slider had red ears on the side of the head does he? They are also greenish not brown..let me get some pics..