SMCPS and their lack of Ethics

Fingel_Hymer

Restricted User
Why can the administration of St. Mary's County Public Schools ignore business ethics?

Why can the spouse of an employee be hired to manage computer program changes and other software matters; some of which were paid for, but never brought to completion for use by the Board of Education.

This is not a business transaction, since there is no business involved. This is an employee using the system to their financial benefit. If it were not for their employment with the school system, their spouse would have never been hired for the work.

The County's ethics rule restrict this type of activity. I wonder if the Board of County Commissioners or the Ethics Commission knows how the Board is spending their money?

thegreatsnozz

Fingel_Hymer said:
Why can the administration of St. Mary's County Public Schools ignore business ethics?

Why can the spouse of an employee be hired to manage computer program changes and other software matters; some of which were paid for, but never brought to completion for use by the Board of Education.

This is not a business transaction, since there is no business involved. This is an employee using the system to their financial benefit. If it were not for their employment with the school system, their spouse would have never been hired for the work.

The County's ethics rule restrict this type of activity. I wonder if the Board of County Commissioners or the Ethics Commission knows how the Board is spending their money?

It sounds like you are pretty frustrated. Look SMCPS makes rules as they go. An example is in HR, new titles and new positions are created and then filled by SMCPS employees, no advertisement, no nothing. No other employee in or out of the system gets to apply. This is how they get each other more money, it is so unfair. There are alot more qualified people out there that do not get a chance. I Know damn well that BOE policy is not being followed and the BOE does not seem to care. They will a election year though. Their opposition will exploit their weaknesses and give them the boot. All in due time my pretty, all in due time.

renfred

Ethics

Talkin about ethics, just look at who the attorney was, who used to represent the SMCPS. Karen H. Abrams, the current Administrative Judge of the County Circuit Court. Same judge who owns 41620 Fenwick Street in Leonardtown. Same judge who rents that same property to attorney Daniel J. Guenther and then hears his cases in her courtroom. Same judge who never discloses this financial relationship on the record or offers to recuse herself in his cases.

Unethical activity, from the top on down.

thegreatsnozz

renfred said:
Talkin about ethics, just look at who the attorney was, who used to represent the SMCPS. Karen H. Abrams, the current Administrative Judge of the County Circuit Court. Same judge who owns 41620 Fenwick Street in Leonardtown. Same judge who rents that same property to attorney Daniel J. Guenther and then hears his cases in her courtroom. Same judge who never discloses this financial relationship on the record or offers to recuse herself in his cases.

Your exactly right. It happens all over county government and and the BOE. There is no watchdog over them. They are above the law because they basically make the law.

Pete

Repete
renfred said:

I have no dog in this fight and I don't know any of these people enough to hate them, but why would a rental property be a reason to recuse? She owns it, he rents it, no problem. What record is there that she needs to disclose this? :shrug:

In my experience judges and lawyers even know and socialize with each other on occasion.

renfred

Karen H. Abrams - Ethics

thegreatsnozz said:
There is no watchdog over them. They are above the law because they basically make the law.

That is the scary truth. And with Abrams, whenever she gets into trouble (like with the political letter to Vallario in the Stamm re-election), her hubby, James A. Kenney III is up there in Annapolis, at the next level. That whole situation makes me a little uncomfortable to be honest.

From what I've heard, she has been making some pretty crazy decisions since she took office as Administartive Judge.

Your right, they make the laws, they uphold the laws, cover eachothers behinds, all at the expense of the little guy.

renfred

Karen H. Abrams - Ethics

Pete said:
why would a rental property be a reason to recuse? She owns it, he rents it, no problem. What record is there that she needs to disclose this? :shrug:

In my experience judges and lawyers even know and socialize with each other on occasion.

Owning a rental property is not the problem. Socializing etc is not a problem either, I mean judges are part of the community fabric. The problem comes when a judge rents a commercial property to a lawyer who regularly comes before her without disclosing that information to litigants in her courtroom. That's commonly referred to as a financial conflict of interest. The real question is, why not disclose?

Fingel_Hymer

Restricted User
The whole problem here is the fact that no one is watching with a critical and careful eye what happens with the tax payer's dollar.

As snozz has said, people get bumped up in ranks, get new titles and get raises based on how well they don't go across the grain or make waves. Why are promotions and titles being handed out without any form of interview process to guarantee that the most qualified individual receives the position?

There are examples of it throughout the system. Why are some principals who show positive score increases demoted to lower administrative duties; while other principals who fail miserably at their jobs are promoted to higher ranking duties at the central office?

I mean how in the world does the person who is literally "second in command" under the superintendent reach this level of power while holding no college degree or teaching certificate? Think about that.... when the superintendent of schools is on vacation, this person is in charge of the educational system. Scary, huh?

thegreatsnozz

Fingel_Hymer said:
The whole problem here is the fact that no one is watching with a critical and careful eye what happens with the tax payer's dollar.

As snozz has said, people get bumped up in ranks, get new titles and get raises based on how well they don't go across the grain or make waves. Why are promotions and titles being handed out without any form of interview process to guarantee that the most qualified individual receives the position?

There are examples of it throughout the system. Why are some principals who show positive score increases demoted to lower administrative duties; while other principals who fail miserably at their jobs are promoted to higher ranking duties at the central office?

I mean how in the world does the person who is literally "second in command" under the superintendent reach this level of power while holding no college degree or teaching certificate? Think about that.... when the superintendent of schools is on vacation, this person is in charge of the educational system. Scary, huh?

Look it is obvious that the BOE does not care about anything other than being reelected. The superintendent only cares about test scores. The kids are way down on either one of their lists. That is the bottom line. As far as the second of command being uncertified goes, that is no surprise. They have the old construction department receptionist running both the construction and planning department with no experience and nothing more than a high school education. They are the laughing stock of the state.

Welcome to Mayberry!

Pete

Repete
renfred said:
Owning a rental property is not the problem. Socializing etc is not a problem either, I mean judges are part of the community fabric. The problem comes when a judge rents a commercial property to a lawyer who regularly comes before her without disclosing that information to litigants in her courtroom. That's commonly referred to as a financial conflict of interest. The real question is, why not disclose?
I still do not see a problem with it. Disclose it where? You want her to wear a sign around her neck "I rent commercial property to a lawyer". Or every time that lawyer appears in court representing some one she should read a disclaimer into the record?

I fail to see where renting commercial office space on a side street in Leonardtown manifests itself as financial conflict of interest. Is she supposed to recuse herself if the guy who runs the Jiffy Lube she gets her oil changed comes in? How about her dry cleaners, or the gas station she uses regularly?

You are going to give me something more and concrete to plant the seed of corruption. How many of her cases have been overturned on appeal? How many times in her career has she faced judicial discipline? Was she ever disbarred or been suspended? Does she have a record of being soft on sentencing? These are true issues to be concerned with and not some pizzy ass rental agreement boogeyman conspiracy theory.

I am not familiar with Judge Abrams but it is really sad that people with an
axe to grind for some unknown reason smear officials with c0ckamamie bullchit like rental property and start talking about conspiracy :jameo:

Pete

Repete
Fingel_Hymer said:
The whole problem here is the fact that no one is watching with a critical and careful eye what happens with the tax payer's dollar.[/QOUTE]The voters do. The media in SMC is not exactly kind to many of the county officials either.

If you run an organization and you set policy are you going to promote people who make waves, are a PITA and buck your decisions? Does the Superintendent have the authority to make appointments? Hire/fire?

I don't know because I am not inside but it happens in every organization ever created. My kids principal was absolutely great and got promoted to a job in the central office so I don't know the answers but one thing is clear, the quality of education my kid gets is pretty good and there is not a caravan of pizzed off teachers and principals on RT 5 heading out of SCM so it must not be that bad.

No it is not scary. Longevity, ability, organizational skills do play a part in being an affective administrator. A college degree does not mean you are smart or able. I sincerely doubt that this "second in command" hires/fires, makes sweeping policy changes, changes the structure of the organization, changes policy while the superintendent is on "vacation". :lol:

It seems to me there are a couple on here who have a real boner for the superintendent. A hard on of this magnitude rarely just happens there typically is a reason. I wish you all would just spill it and the "I am worried about the children" crap is not going to cut it. What did this guy do to you?

renfred

Karen H. Abrams - Ethics

Pete said:
I still do not see a problem with it. Disclose it where? You want her to wear a sign around her neck "I rent commercial property to a lawyer". Or every time that lawyer appears in court representing some one she should read a disclaimer into the record?:

http://www.courts.state.md.us/ethics/codes.pdf

From the MD Code of Judicial Conduct:
"A judge must disclose on the record information that the judge believes the parties or their lawyers might consider relevant to the question of recusal, even if the judge believes that there is no real basis for recusal."

I would leave the details of how she would disclose this financial conflict of interest up to the judge, who is in a leadership position, and a position of trust. Its pretty obvious that a litigant who is up against Daniel Guenther in her courtroom, would appreciate being clued in on the fact that he has provided her with a rent check every month for years, for who knows how much.

Pete said:
I fail to see where renting commercial office space on a side street in Leonardtown manifests itself as financial conflict of interest. Is she supposed to recuse herself if the guy who runs the Jiffy Lube she gets her oil changed comes in? How about her dry cleaners, or the gas station she uses regularly?

Its great that you've provided some concrete examples with which to compare. The 3 examples that you've used, the jiffy lube oil change guy, the dry cleaners guy, and the gas station guy, are all examples of small money transactions, in which the judge is paying a small fee ($5 - $50), for a service. That is on the opposite end of the financial spectrum from renting out your prior law office, which you bought with a now disbarred lawyer (Julian Izydore), then renting it out to an attorney who comes before you. The financial interest in the lease, if it is fair market value, would be at least in the thousands range per month. So you see, your argument doesn't hold up. Although it might hold up in her courtroom if you're her renter.

Pete said:
You are going to give me something more and concrete to plant the seed of corruption. How many of her cases have been overturned on appeal? How many times in her career has she faced judicial discipline? Was she ever disbarred or been suspended? Does she have a record of being soft on sentencing? These are true issues to be concerned with and not some pizzy ass rental agreement boogeyman conspiracy theory.:

Never have I used the term "corruption" or "conspiricay theory". I am simply pointing out a case where an official, in this case the person who holds the highest judicial office in St. Mary's County, is doing something that a reasonably prudent person would call unethical. In the state of Maryland, a judge has a high standard to uphold. Not only do they have to avoid impropriety, but also THE APPEARANCE OF IMPROPRIETY. Without this standard the general public's trust in the legal system would erode. I think that if Judge Abrams made her financial relationship with Daniel J. Guenther more public, and also disclosed it on the record on each case where he comes before her, a litigant could then make an informed decision on whether or not they feel comfortable with the judge deciding their case. Other options are available. I mean, you would think that an Administrative Judge would want to avoid a situation where her integrity may come into question as impaired? Maybe it is a risk versus reward scenario in this situation?

Pete said:
I am not familiar with Judge Abrams but it is really sad that people with an axe to grind for some unknown reason smear officials with c0ckamamie bullchit like rental property and start talking about conspiracy :jameo:

Is it smearing an official to point out a factual occurance that anyone can check the validity of themselves? In Maryland, Judges are expected to be subjected to a higher level of scrutiny from the public than your average non-judge citizen. It comes with the turf! :howdy:

Here is the MD Tax assessment link to the ownership of 41620 Fenwick St:

http://sdatcert3.resiusa.org/rp_rew...=03 019071 &County=19&SearchType=STREET

Geek

Fingel_Hymer said:

Second in command has a degree in Political Science. "Second in command" was an amazing principal. I worked for "Second in Command". St. Mary's County is very lucky to have "Second in Command"

This part of your post was a lie. I don't believe a word you post.

thegreatsnozz

Pete said:
Fingel_Hymer said:
The whole problem here is the fact that no one is watching with a critical and careful eye what happens with the tax payer's dollar.[/QOUTE]The voters do. The media in SMC is not exactly kind to many of the county officials either.

If you run an organization and you set policy are you going to promote people who make waves, are a PITA and buck your decisions? Does the Superintendent have the authority to make appointments? Hire/fire?

I don't know because I am not inside but it happens in every organization ever created. My kids principal was absolutely great and got promoted to a job in the central office so I don't know the answers but one thing is clear, the quality of education my kid gets is pretty good and there is not a caravan of pizzed off teachers and principals on RT 5 heading out of SCM so it must not be that bad.

No it is not scary. Longevity, ability, organizational skills do play a part in being an affective administrator. A college degree does not mean you are smart or able. I sincerely doubt that this "second in command" hires/fires, makes sweeping policy changes, changes the structure of the organization, changes policy while the superintendent is on "vacation". :lol:

It seems to me there are a couple on here who have a real boner for the superintendent. A hard on of this magnitude rarely just happens there typically is a reason. I wish you all would just spill it and the "I am worried about the children" crap is not going to cut it. What did this guy do to you?

You make some valid points. I will try to address them to the best of my ability.

Yes, the superintendent has the ability to hire and fire. School system employees serve at the descretion of the superintendent. He can assign salaried employees to any position that he wants. Non-salaried and teachers are protected by their respective unions.

I agree that a college degree does not make you smart. The individual that I have been referring to however is not the sharpest, is not hands on, and suffers from only thinking within the box per se. You are right, there is no large exodus of teachers leaving, however there has been a steady exodus of line management from the departments the individual in question has been managing. This began when the superintendent promoted this individual to his present position when the superintendent arrived, under the previous superintendent only one manager left and that is because they retired.

In regard to policy setting, the second in command creates his own organization upon approval of the Superintendent. One would only have to look at the last two approved budgets to note that the managers that have stayed have been promoted in title and salary. These positions were created with no difference in job responsibilities and no one else either in or out of the organization were allowed to apply. This was done to breed loyalty. This is contradictory to the systems hiring policies.

In regard to children, the second in commands decisions have a direct impact on the well being of students. It effects the maintenance and operations of the schools fire and burglar alarms, hazardous material management and air quality. It effects the quality of food they eat, it effects if their buses arrive on time, it effects whether their child will be in an overcrowded classroom or relocatable classroom. All of the managers responsible for these functions are now gone. Not because of pay but because of a lack of respect. The superintendent and the BOE have been made aware of this and they ignore it. School administrators are aware of the problem but they concentrate their efforts and rightfully so on the teachers and students success. They realize that their services suffer but this is secondary to running a school.

I can not speak for the other posters on the school system, my gripe is personal and my criticism of the system will not stop until the superintendent and BOE make organizational changes and enforce the existing policies that will put an end to the exodus of quality people.

thegreatsnozz

Geek said:
Second in command has a degree in Political Science. "Second in command" was an amazing principal. I worked for "Second in Command". St. Mary's County is very lucky to have "Second in Command"

This part of your post was a lie. I don't believe a word you post.

The superintendents "second in command" or right hand man is male, never been to college and has never worked in the schools as a principal or any other teaching position.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Pete said:
Fingel_Hymer said:

You said boner. :lmao:

Pete

Repete
renfred said:
http://www.courts.state.md.us/ethics/codes.pdf

From the MD Code of Judicial Conduct:
"A judge must disclose on the record information that the judge believes the parties or their lawyers might consider relevant to the question of recusal, even if the judge believes that there is no real basis for recusal."

I would leave the details of how she would disclose this financial conflict of interest up to the judge, who is in a leadership position, and a position of trust. Its pretty obvious that a litigant who is up against Daniel Guenther in her courtroom, would appreciate being clued in on the fact that he has provided her with a rent check every month for years, for who knows how much.

Its great that you've provided some concrete examples with which to compare. The 3 examples that you've used, the jiffy lube oil change guy, the dry cleaners guy, and the gas station guy, are all examples of small money transactions, in which the judge is paying a small fee ($5 - $50), for a service. That is on the opposite end of the financial spectrum from renting out your prior law office, which you bought with a now disbarred lawyer (Julian Izydore), then renting it out to an attorney who comes before you. The financial interest in the lease, if it is fair market value, would be at least in the thousands range per month. So you see, your argument doesn't hold up. Although it might hold up in her courtroom if you're her renter.

Never have I used the term "corruption" or "conspiricay theory". I am simply pointing out a case where an official, in this case the person who holds the highest judicial office in St. Mary's County, is doing something that a reasonably prudent person would call unethical. In the state of Maryland, a judge has a high standard to uphold. Not only do they have to avoid impropriety, but also THE APPEARANCE OF IMPROPRIETY. Without this standard the general public's trust in the legal system would erode. I think that if Judge Abrams made her financial relationship with Daniel J. Guenther more public, and also disclosed it on the record on each case where he comes before her, a litigant could then make an informed decision on whether or not they feel comfortable with the judge deciding their case. Other options are available. I mean, you would think that an Administrative Judge would want to avoid a situation where her integrity may come into question as impaired? Maybe it is a risk versus reward scenario in this situation?

Is it smearing an official to point out a factual occurance that anyone can check the validity of themselves? In Maryland, Judges are expected to be subjected to a higher level of scrutiny from the public than your average non-judge citizen. It comes with the turf! :howdy:

Here is the MD Tax assessment link to the ownership of 41620 Fenwick St:

http://sdatcert3.resiusa.org/rp_rew...=03 019071 &County=19&SearchType=STREET
Well I see how this is going to go. You are going to continue to beat this drum because you have something against Abrams. You are so trying to smear the judge. You said "rented to a now disbarred lawyer" like Abrams is not tainted beyond the original claim be cause she rented to a lawyer who was disbarred. If you weren't trying to smear her why even mention it? Was Abrams involved in that lawyers disbarrment?

I am a reasonable person and I do not see the appearance of impropriety, I see no conflict of interest, I see no cause to worry at all that Judge Abrams rents her old office space to a lawyer who on occassion represents clients in her court.

I could go on arguing but it is pointless, from your tone Judge Abrams could give you a kidney saving your life and you would still wonder what her angle was.