SMECO they think I am a problem

wintersprings

I checked by Power bill, against my meter, and the numbers were way off (Like 4000 on bill, and only 2000 on meter). I am in a new appt, so I called SMECO to report a problem. The 4000 number is on the meter next to mine, I I think it is just a reporting problem.

The rep, first said it was my problem, its been hot, so the bill is correct. And if I wanted a reading, they would charge like $35 to come do it.

Then she wanted a electrician to certify the meter. I said there are big letters next to each meter, so that has been done. Can they just check this out?

Does anyone else get this treatment? Like the customer is always wrong?

:buttkick:

No. I've never had a problem with SMECO service. Besides, if it is just a misreading of the meter, you will see the difference next month when you get a much smaller than usual bill.

poster

Take a several clear pictures of the meter today and make sure they are date and time stamped then hand carry to the nearest offices and ask for a manager.

In their face customer service is the best way to get immediate resolution.
Otherwise you'll have to wait until the next billing cycle for an adjustment.

wintersprings

kwillia said:
No. I've never had a problem with SMECO service. Besides, if it is just a misreading of the meter, you will see the difference next month when you get a much smaller than usual bill.

I think they are sending me my neighbors bill, and he gets mine. So the problem will not clear up. Thats why I called.

river rat

BUCKING GOAT
wintersprings said:
I think they are sending me my neighbors bill, and he gets mine. So the problem will not clear up. Thats why I called.

Will your neighbor let you see the bill?

If it is an apartment complex, maybe the rental office can get some better responses from the power company

Last edited:

wintersprings

river rat said:
Will your neighbor let you see the bill?

Don't have to. The SMECO lady read out the serial number of my Meter, and then the one of my neighbor, and they are switched. Thats why I get his bill.

But that fact did not stop her from asking for certification, and a charge to read the meter.

I think that if they just came out, looked at the meters, checked serial numbers, they would see the problem. They could believe a customer.

But then again I am the problem. I should just pay up.

jenbengen

Watch it
You need to go to an office and talk face-to-face. Pictures and all the info you have in hand, you should be able to fix the problem. You should have much better luck in person.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
wintersprings said:
Don't have to. The SMECO lady read out the serial number of my Meter, and then the one of my neighbor, and they are switched. Thats why I get his bill.

But that fact did not stop her from asking for certification, and a charge to read the meter.

I think that if they just came out, looked at the meters, checked serial numbers, they would see the problem. They could believe a customer.

But then again I am the problem. I should just pay up.

Just be glad that you are not a BGE customer. For years, I'd occasionally guess what my bill was and end up paying a little more or little less than the actual bill if I couldn't find it. I've tried this twice in the past year and they sent me a cut-off notice right away. No more letting it ride til the next month. I've always had the money and send them the shortage right away but they have become out of control. BGE sucks!

keekee

I once got a HUGE bill from Smeco. It was almost double the amount I had expected. I used to work for SMECO, so I know that they don't always read your meter, sometimes they "estimate" your charge and then read it the following month and adjust for the difference. But in this instance, they insisted that the meter had been read, and that the amount on the bill was correct. I knew without a doubt that the amount was wrong, but I was basically at their mercy, so I paid the bill... and the next month I got a bill for $19.00. I was pretty ticked when I realized that the woman who insisted that the meter had been read was obviously wrong! If they screw up and bill you for the wrong amount, there is not much you can do, except pay up! :burning:

wintersprings

keekee said:
I once got a HUGE bill from Smeco. It was almost double the amount I had expected. I used to work for SMECO, so I know that they don't always read your meter, sometimes they "estimate" your charge and then read it the following month and adjust for the difference. But in this instance, they insisted that the meter had been read, and that the amount on the bill was correct. I knew without a doubt that the amount was wrong, but I was basically at their mercy, so I paid the bill... and the next month I got a bill for $19.00. I was pretty ticked when I realized that the woman who insisted that the meter had been read was obviously wrong! If they screw up and bill you for the wrong amount, there is not much you can do, except pay up! :burning:

This is a case of billing me the wrong meter, month after month, and their computer thinks that my apt number is tied to the wrong meter. It is really a case of fixing the billing, not re-reading the meter.

keekee

wintersprings said:
This is a case of billing me the wrong meter, month after month, and their computer thinks that my apt number is tied to the wrong meter. It is really a case of fixing the billing, not re-reading the meter.

Yeah, I know. But I was just sharing my SMECO gripes too.
:flowers:

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
Here is a good SMECO gripe for you.

My "X" bought a new house up around Drum Point. Brand new. SMECO comes out and digs a trench up the property line running power to another home. The "X"s out door condensor unit for the Air Conditioner was on the side of the house where the trenching was being done about 8' from the work area.

Evidentally after they finished their work and packed up the "X"s Air Conditoner died. Next morning she calls in the HVAC folks and whaddya know, the Outdoor unit is full of dirt and rocks all of the sudden. I am not sure how much was there but it was enough to burn up the outdoor unit.

She calls SMECO. They evidently state it's not their problem unless she had an eyewitness. I told here to call the COPS. Thats BS.

Unfortunately this all happened right before we had that major high heat & humidity spell a few weeks ago. The "X" and my kids are now living in he basement of their brand new home with a window unit keeping them cool.

Be nice if we had a choice in who we get our power from to make SMECO a bit more responsive to customers.

wintersprings

Jeff said:
Here is a good SMECO gripe for you.

My "X" bought a new house up around Drum Point. Brand new. SMECO comes out and digs a trench up the property line running power to another home. The "X"s out door condensor unit for the Air Conditioner was on the side of the house where the trenching was being done about 8' from the work area.

Evidentally after they finished their work and packed up the "X"s Air Conditoner died. Next morning she calls in the HVAC folks and whaddya know, the Outdoor unit is full of dirt and rocks all of the sudden. I am not sure how much was there but it was enough to burn up the outdoor unit.

She calls SMECO. They evidently state it's not their problem unless she had an eyewitness. I told here to call the COPS. Thats BS.

Unfortunately this all happened right before we had that major high heat & humidity spell a few weeks ago. The "X" and my kids are now living in he basement of their brand new home with a window unit keeping them cool.

Be nice if we had a choice in who we get our power from to make SMECO a bit more responsive to customers.

Neighbor had same experience. They dug around his house to feed a new house going in.

They never filled in the trench. He lost his front end of the mower to the hole, and a visiting dog fell in requiring surgery.

Does SMECO do anything the old fashoned way? Like they finish the job, with quality?

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
At work I pay about 100 SMECO bills a month. TODAY we rec'd some dated the 3rth that are due on the 28th. I know, from past experience, if we don't get them paid by that date (which isn't going to happen) we'll get late charges. I immediately e-mailed our account manager about the delay in getting the invoice vs. payment date. I bet we still get late charges. I HATE dealing with them. Their invoicing system is really screwed up.

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
wintersprings said:
Neighbor had same experience. They dug around his house to feed a new house going in.

They never filled in the trench. He lost his front end of the mower to the hole, and a visiting dog fell in requiring surgery.

Does SMECO do anything the old fashoned way? Like they finish the job, with quality?

I have watched and spoken with alot of the Linemen (POWER POLE TYPES). That must be a different Dept. or something. They seem like they have a decent work ethic. But the folks that do the ground installs seem to have the 'do it and go' mentality. Then if they flub up you have to work with Customer Service. That is where your hosed.

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
BS Gal said:
At work I pay about 100 SMECO bills a month. TODAY we rec'd some dated the 3rth that are due on the 28th. I know, from past experience, if we don't get them paid by that date (which isn't going to happen) we'll get late charges. I immediately e-mailed our account manager about the delay in getting the invoice vs. payment date. I bet we still get late charges. I HATE dealing with them. Their invoicing system is really screwed up.

No competition for them. They can do whatever they want to. SUCKS!

onebdzee

off the shelf
I got one....

I had my power cut off at my old house on the 3rd of July, I get a "bill" from SMECO about a week later with a credit balance....

I'm still waiting for my check :ohwell:

Lexib_

Blah.. Blah...Blah
I remember when I used to work at smeco. There was a couple of months that they OVERESTIMATED bills.. WOW.. the phone calls we got then. Honestly... Obviously if there is an error like that I would think that SMECO would do the right thing. Maybe the customer service rep didn't understand what you were trying to explain.

Lexib_

Blah.. Blah...Blah
onebdzee said:
I got one....

I had my power cut off at my old house on the 3rd of July, I get a "bill" from SMECO about a week later with a credit balance....

I would call and ask for your refund check. Or they can put the "credit" towards your current bill.

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
onebdzee said:
I got one....

:pete: They probably gave the credit to the new owners of the old house.