Calvert County's Finest

Y

yornoc

I currently live in Lusby and work in Laurel, which means I have a 150 miles commute each workday.  I work the night shift and I travel Rt. 4 South each night that I work. I usually exit the Capitol Beltway between 10:40 and 11:15 PM.  I can point out every speed trap between 495 and H.G. Truman road (by-the-way, there are none in PG County at night).  Since I have been driving this route for about 2 years, I just set my cruise control on 60 mph and cruise.  Normally I just go through the traps at 60 mph and nothing happens. There are two 45 mph zones where I disengage the cruise control… within Dunkirk and Prince Frederick. Every night (except when there is fog), I see vehicles getting pulled over by both state and county police.  I once thought all the “violators” deserved what they are getting.  I have a different opinion.  

In the past 2 years, I have been ticketed twice in the same EXACT location (about 1 mile north of BGE Power Plant) at around the same time (one ticket’s time was 11:40 PM and the other was 11:47 PM).  The first time I was accused of doing 74 mph in a 55 mph zone.  I explained to the officer that I was doing 60 mph (as I have done every night) and he reduced it to 64 mph.  The second time I was doing 60 mph and was accused of doing 84 mph.  Once again I explained to the office that I was doing 60 and even pointed out that my “cruise” light was still lit up (I was promptly told to cut the engine).  The officer came back and said he is going to give me a break and wrote me a ticket for doing 64 mph in a 55 mph zone.  On both occasions I was asked if I had been drinking and if I have any illegal drugs. I explained that I’m heading home from work and even produce my ID badge that was still clipped to my belt.

Since I was innocent in of both charges, I pled not guilty and went to court.  In both cases, I had NO evidence (except my word) to prove that I was not doing what I was accused of.  As you might have guessed, the judge believed the officers and I was found guilty both times.  His justification was, “I no reason to believe you because in 1998 you got 2 speeding tickets”.  

To make things worst, my wife got pulled over on Rt. 4 for doing 74 mph in a 55mph zone.  She said she had the cruise set on 55 and could not understand how the officer got 74.  Even though he claimed she was speeding on RT. 4, he followed her to Little Cove Point Rd and pulled her over by the fire station (about 4 miles from where he said she was speeding).  She went to court but it got thrown out because the officer did not show up.  She still ended up missing a day’s work because court was set for 9AM but they waited until 11 AM to call her because they were waiting to see if the officer would show up.

Now I set my cruise on 58 mph.

I’m not sure if there were isolated incidents so I would like to know what you think.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Oh you aren't alone.  I got nailed for a ticket doing 75 mph when I'd just turned on to rt 5 from Mechanicsville Rd to go to Mechanicsville Elementary, (which is all of a few hundred yards) I hadn't even made it up to the legal speed limit yet.  I do hope there is a special place in Hell just for those folks! :cussing:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
If these guys are relying upon radar you might have a chance.   Recommend you grab Radar Principles by Skolnik.  Could go a long way to making a case.  The doppler radars that the cops use are subject to multipath returns and ambiguous target returns.  Hilly areas, vehicles going in both directions, wind, and weather make them unreliable for computing speed.  Florida law cases in the late 70s instrumental for getting them removed from use in Florida.

Y

yornoc

I fogot to mention that my car insurance went up as a result of those two tickets :burning:

DarbyOhara

Musician
yornoc on 6:48 pm on April 8, 2002[br]I fogot to mention that my car insurance went up as a result of those two tickets :burning:

Oh yorn, you aren't alone and I am sorry to hear of you dilemma!  I (knock wood) haven't received one here for sometime... but I have my share... and it's not only in this area, but in Ohio too...  and fighting it is a JOKE!  It's all a money-hungry game to the counties and regardless if it a state cop or county.. you are paying THAT county!

Now the unfortunate dispairing truth!  NOTHING we can do about it.  Believe me!  The people that make the decisions to enforce (or cleanup) that money-hungry game are the judges, Chief's and legislators... THEY WON'T GET TICKETS so they aren't worried about it.  You, as among many, are numbers for their statistics... it looks like.. hey, they are doing their job by ticketing speeders... even though there is NO proof!  All the cop has to say in court is, "my radar is calibrated within calibration standards."  Fighting it and beating it cause the cop doesn't show up is RARE compared to losers!  Don't believe me?  Next time you have a nice day off, schedule sometime to sit through the court proceedings and watch... in pure disbelief.  I am not saying everyone is not guilty, but there is NO accountability whatsoever... for the few of you that are suggesting taking some radar facts or other stuff to court.. YOU GO TRY IT!  That judge has TOO many cases to sit and listen to (what s/he will call BS).  Luckily your wife skated off with losing one day of work and beating it... in Ohio, you plead "not guilty" and you have to come back another day and go before a judge instead of a magistrate... and then... you have to wait till ALL the felonies, misdemeanors and such are over before they even get to traffic... it's sad.... it is really sad...

Hessian

Rumor had it years ago that the MSP trained all their rookies in Calvert for years...I wonder if that is still true?
"So Officer, how many traffic stops have you made since graduation?"..OUCH!

Anyway, I have heard on good authority that if you are pulled over at night, most cops are a bit edgy so- turn on the dome light in your car, roll down the window and put both hands on top of the steering wheel or even out the windows...it gives them an idea that you're not the least bit of a threat.
I've been pulled over for lights out and having a spare set of bulbs in the car (even if they aren't the right type) saves the fine every time!

You cannot  beat city hall...so stay far away from it!

Y

yornoc

vicos,

The first time I was driving a 1991 Nissan Sentra and the second time I was driving a Mits. 3000GT.  I think that's why he said I was doing 84 (remember, cruise was set at 60).  I don't even do 80 on 495.  Both times were was county cops.  In addition to the two tickets mentioned, I have been pulled over on the stretch of RT. 4 between Lusby and Prince Frederick for headlight out (the same day it went out), license plate light out/too dim, and weaving (I crossed the white line twice one night while I was being tailed by a state cop).  I understand the times that I'm on the road is also the peak DUI time...

One night last week an unmarked cruiser came up behind he at a high rate of speed (well over 85 I assumed) and then stayed on my bumper for about 3 miles before I changed lanes.  He then came up beside me, looked at me then took off just as fast as he came.  They do this quite a bit but never at such a high speed.

I can't wait to find a job closer to home (and working days) so I don't have to put up with this on a daily basis!

(Edited by yornoc at 10:34 pm on April 8, 2002)

T

tikipirate

Ken King said:
If these guys are relying upon radar you might have a chance.   Recommend you grab Radar Principles by Skolnik...

Kenny, you know I luv ya, but Skolnik? I developed the APG-71 and the APG-73 and never had to crack that boring piece of shiat. Pure 1950's. Better to read 'Principles of Modern Radar' by Raytheon, nee Hughes. Besides, what is the traffic offender to do? Prove to the court his innocence with a LaPlacian or a 4th-order Runge-Kutta?

If you're pulled over and the officer is talking pure smack, ask to see his radar calibration log. Prior to every shift a radar car is supposed to calibrate the radar with a tuning fork held in front of the waveguide. As a citizen you are entitled to see the log by law. Copy down the last two or three entries on paper. If it is business as usual, you can look Joe Law in the eye and say, "Write me that ticket, but if you do, every ticket since xx/xx/04 will be thrown out of court or reversed."

[Not sure of the frequency of the tuning fork, but if it is a standard 'middle A' the displayed frequency on the radar gun should be 440 Hz/ 31.389Hz/MPH or 14 MPH...close enough to where the 4th harmonic is 55MPH.]

The last time I was pulled over was in Hughesville at 0200 on a Saturday night many moons ago. I was still wearing full desert cammies. The officer asked, "Where are you coming from?" I looked up at him and said, "Iraq" through clenched teeth with a fairly nasty tone of voice. Dodged that 58 in a 45.The cop was actually fairly apologetic.

Here is a (maybe valid?) scenario for all of the techno-geeks out there... Anyone who runs a GPS unit in their car...(From Joe Geek with a GPS mapping system to Joe Trucker with a GPS following system)...might be able to download a velocity history? I have never had the scratch to splurge on one of those toys, but if it could disprove a speeding ticket it may be a good investment.

Last edited by a moderator:

willie

I, unfortunately, would travel RT 4 at around bar closing time and every Thursday night would be pulled over for "weaving". I have no idea why it was Thursday's. This went on for years. Before that, they stopped me for "registration check" but that became unconstitutional or whatever so they had to shange tactics. They never gave me a real ticket but I've got enough warnings to wallpaper a mansion.

As Hessian said "You cannot beat city hall...so stay far away from it!
04-08-2002 09:42 PM "

Quit night work while living in Calvert.

Another item about our picky law enforcers:

My driving was 85% at night so the car went through a lot of headlights and tail lamps. I only redeived work orders in Calvert County. Having spare lamps with you in Calvert County won't get you crap!

All the advice about checking the cops radar etc. is interesting but have you guys ever spent any time observing what goes on in traffic court? It is up to the Judge and what mood he/she is in and has little to do with facts. Court is great for those that can play super apologetic for something they didn't do but want to escape points.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's my understanding the the ticket gets automatically thrown out if you show up in court to dispute it and the cop that ticketed you is a no-show. Is that right?

Because it would seem like if everyone ticketed would choose to go to court, this would either A: tie up the cops so bad they'd they'd quit giving out frivolous tickets, or B: at least you'd get out of the ticket.

I know, I know - who has time for that crap? I was prepared to go to the Supreme Court for my seatbelt ticket, then I caved and paid it because it was easier and less time-consuming. :ohwell:

vraiblonde said:
I know, I know - who has time for that crap? I was prepared to go to the Supreme Court for my seatbelt ticket, then I caved and paid it because it was easier and less time-consuming. :ohwell:
Just think... had you gone the court route... Charlize Thurman could be playing your part in a movie about that "landmark case" this very day...:ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
kwillia said:
Just think... had you gone the court route... Charlize Thurman could be playing your part in a movie about that "landmark case" this very day
:lmao: Yep, another missed opportunity.

willie

vraiblonde said:
It's my understanding the the ticket gets automatically thrown out if you show up in court to dispute it and the cop that ticketed you is a no-show. Is that right?
A true statement.

Last edited:

ACESRT04

THE OTHER
The bad thing about this is the MD state police do NOT have to let you look at the radar gun but I'm not sure about local cops. Also when you are pulled over for ALL cops you have the right to ask when the radar was calibrated and who calibrated it. If the cop said he did it himself ask him when he last had training to do this. If you ask these questions ahead of time he may second guess giving you a ticket. Also if you notice anything under 10 miles an hour is only 1 point and normally under 100 bucks. So when I do get a B.S. ticket like that I normally pay and remind the cop that "protecting and serving doesn't pay does it?"

Mikeinsmd

tikipirate said:
Here is a (maybe valid?) scenario for all of the techno-geeks out there... Anyone who runs a GPS unit in their car...(From Joe Geek with a GPS mapping system to Joe Trucker with a GPS following system)...might be able to download a velocity history? I have never had the scratch to splurge on one of those toys, but if it could disprove a speeding ticket it may be a good investment.
Here's another idea.... If you use a standard over the shelf GPS, they always record the peak speed attained. Just make sure you reset it everytime you climb in your car.

Last edited:

gigi6

Mikeinsmd said:
Here's another idea.... If you use a standard over the shelf GPS, they always record the peak speed attained. Just make sure you reset it everytime you climb in your car.

Bought my GPS at BJ's for under $500. Yes, if you check the "trip computer" you can find out your speed and then download it to your home computer and print it out. This may help in court..........but in this county - who knows.

meme

The Smart Hooker
Every ticket I have ever gotten was from a cop in Calvert County. Needless to say, even though I paid the tickets, my drivers license is suspended in the state of Maryland (for having to many points.) Good thing I'm not in Maryland right now. Not sure how long it's suspended for, they sent me a notice saying it was suspended almost being here in FL for a year. :lol:

Honey

vraiblonde said:
I heard that law has been changed. That even if he doesn't show up you still have to pay the fine and or get the points.