Something for the Kids!

ladyhawk

St. Marys County Airport, Lexington Park MD....

Young Eagles Program

It does not cost anything,
the only rules are:

You have to be under 17 years of age.
You have to have a parent with you.

Experience the world above us!

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
ladyhawk said:
St. Marys County Airport, Lexington Park MD....

Young Eagles Program

It does not cost anything,
the only rules are:

You have to be under 17 years of age.
You have to have a parent with you.

Experience the world above us!

I think that is done by the Civil Air Patrol isn't it?

onebdzee

off the shelf
Dutch6 said:
What time does this start? Who do we contact and where at the airport?

:yeahthat: I was thinking the same thing

Then again, if it's today....there's no chance that I'm going to go :hot:

Dutch6

"Fluffy world destroyer"
onebdzee said:
:yeahthat: I was thinking the same thing

Then again, if it's today....there's no chance that I'm going to go :hot:
I'll put up with the heat because the boy would really love this!

ladyhawk

Geek said:
http://www.youngeagles.org/news/events/default.asp?month=8#YEevents

This is the only info I could find online

Lady hawk could you tell us a little more please?

Basically from what I understand, they take the kids up in the plane for an hour... so its not an all day event. (and I'm kind of new so I'm not sure but it could be 1/2 hour...) I received a phone call from my husband that the guys are out there and they didn't have very many kids. So I told him I would post something online. I really didn't expect to get a response so quickly! :lmao:

ladyhawk

ladyhawk said:
Basically from what I understand, they take the kids up in the plane for an hour... so its not an all day event. (and I'm kind of new so I'm not sure but it could be 1/2 hour...) I received a phone call from my husband that the guys are out there and they didn't have very many kids. So I told him I would post something online. I really didn't expect to get a response so quickly! :lmao:

Okay I just got off the phone with my husband.......

They teach the kids about the planes, they take them up for 1/2 hour and they actually let the kids fly the plane! (there are controls on both sides of the cockpit) The last flight is at 12:30 which is why it ends at 1:00 PM!

All you have to do is sign the waiver for the kids to go up. These guys have hundreds of hours of flight time, their planes are inspected annually by the FAA (just imagine if we had to do this with our cars! LOL)

Anyway, I would recommend it to any child especially the boys under 15! Sorry, that wasn't meant to sound sexist I just know more boys that would love to do this than girls!

Last edited:

diehardstroker

The young eagles program is operated by the EAA (experimental aircraft assn.) and has had over 1.3 million kids fly. It's a great opportunity for them to learn about aircraft and aviation. The EAA runs these about once a month so if you cannot get down there today, keep checking, I'm sure we can start posting the flight dates earlier to give you a chance to plan ahead.
The terminal is air conditioned! Boys and girls both enjoy the thrill of flight! Open to all 8 - 17!

ladyhawk

Jeff said:

I don't know that they are part of the Civil Air Patrol. The guys I know that do this are pilots that either work at the base, are retired and own their own planes and just want to share their interest with our communities.

For all I know, they may very well be part of that group, but I'm not really sure... I know another program I've seen where they put themselves on a call list. Its called Angel Flight. They provide free transportation for different patients and their families all across the United States. Kidney transplants, Lukemia stuff like that... I thought that was really nice. Its like having air taxis available. (smiling)

diehardstroker

Oops, forgot.... Go to the St. Maries Airport, almost all the way to the end of the road. Look for Piedmont Aviation - Learn to fly signs

Piedmont Flight Center
44174 Airport Road #200
California, MD 20619
Phone: 301-373-4505

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Jeff said:

I took my kids to this in NH YEARS ago.. and it was run by a group led by Chuck Yeager.. and the Experimental Airplane Pilots..

GREAT program. They took my kids for a flight, and my (at the time) 12 year old was allowed to take the controls, and the pilot asked where they lived and flew them over our house. My 9 year old was in the back seat.

(oops *itsbob*)

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
BadGirl said:
I took my kids to this in NH YEARS ago.. and it was run by a group led by Chuck Yeager.. and the Experimental Airplane Pilots..

GREAT program. They took my kids for a flight, and my (at the time) 12 year old was allowed to take the controls, and the pilot asked where they lived and flew them over our house. My 9 year old was in the back seat.

(oops *itsbob*)

I think the CAP does something similar but it more of a deal where they have to join. They become Cadets.

ladyhawk

Jeff said:
I think the CAP does something similar but it more of a deal where they have to join. They become Cadets.

The kids are not required to join anything here. It is just a way to peak their interest and show them something they may never see! The world up there is so much different. And if you could ever get lucky enough to be up when the sun is setting and it is a bit cloudy, Its just (taking a deep breath) WOW..

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
ladyhawk said:
The kids are not required to join anything here. It is just a way to peak their interest and show them something they may never see! The world up there is so much different. And if you could ever get lucky enough to be up when the sun is setting and it is a bit cloudy, Its just (taking a deep breath) WOW..

Understand. Love flying. I need to get mine over there but only have them every other weekend. I did not relaize these nice folks did this very often. I just thought it was a once a year kinda thing. Do they have a dedicated website were we can watch for it and send other people to?

I'd also like to know whether or not the at least accept donations or not.

Last edited:

ladyhawk

Jeff said:
Understand. Love flying. I need to get mine over there but only have them every other weekend. I did not relaize these nice folks did this very often. I just thought it was a once a tear kinda thing. Do they have a dedicated website were we can watch for it and send other people to?

I'd also like to know whether or not the at least accept donations or not.

I have a feeling that I may have already taken on the task of putting the information out to you guys as I did this morning. Only more in advance than this! :lmao:

Or My husband may see your request and talk to them about possibly doing something like that! Although for me right now, with my Board duties, work and keeping up with the CRE website and my family... I think I would prefer the posts for now... :wench:

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
ladyhawk said:
I have a feeling that I may have already taken on the task of putting the information out to you guys as I did this morning. Only more in advance than this! :lmao:

Or My husband may see your request and talk to them about possibly doing something like that! Although for me right now, with my Board duties, work and keeping up with the CRE website and my family... I think I would prefer the posts for now... :wench:

Ok was just curious. Even if they just keep the national website updated and you can just throw links around, at least someone who asks the same questions might be able to figure out what is going on.

I guess we had ya jumping for a minute there huh? :jameo: