Votes: 10 17.2%
  • I like it here.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I love it here.

Votes: 20 34.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Surf City Baby

Seems some regulars don't much care for Southern MD or for Southern Marylanders. What's your opinion?

I'm curious. I'm a native Californian, have lived in Charles Co. for less than three years. Other than a good case of culture shock, which I'm just about over, I find nothing wrong with the area. In general, most folks' politics are more conservative than mine; there are more churchgoers, more smokers, more gun owners, than I ever knew or saw back home. But those differences are neither good nor bad. I find customer service in some areas back home to be better than service here, and in some areas it's worse. When I've had reason to call the sheriffs, I've found the officers far less condescending than were the police officers I had to call once back home. Road rage and disregard for the environment are worse here; the air is far, far better, as are most folks' dispositions, generally. I can't find decent Mexican food. But there are so many trees, flowers, birds and critters on my own acre here. I'll take the trade-offs.

What do you think of Southern MD?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I said I loved it there. The past tense is because I live in Frederick now. But the best friends I ever had in my life are in St. Mary's. I was a single come-here Mom and I never lacked a place to do Christmas, Thanksgiving and other "family" holidays. And I NEVER felt that standoffish good ol' boy network that everyone talks about.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oh yeah - we have a TON of restaurants (good ones, too) up here but I was just as happy in St. Mary's having dinner at the Willows every time I went out. There's no John Nucci in Frederick. :frown:

K

Kizzy

That is good that you have adjusted to the change Surf City. I answered with “I love it here.” I have only heard 2 people complain about this area, ST and Olive Oyl, which leads me to believe that they are miserable people who hate everything including their own birthdays. Happiness is what you make it and if you’re an azzclown with no friends, it can be a miserable place to live, just ask Olive Oyl and ST. Of course a nice sunny and close beach would make me very happy, but for the time being, I am fairly settled.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by cariblue
I found John to be terribly invasive and rude.
Rude is John's middle name. :lol: When I was dating, I used to make my dates pass the "Nucci Factor". We'd go to dinner, John would start...what? Flirting probably isn't the right word because sucking on someone's neck goes past that. If the date lost it, bye bye to him. Larry offered to rent me out, which told me he was a keeper. :lol:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by IM4Change
I have only heard 2 people complain about this area, ST and Olive Oyl, which leads me to believe that they are miserable people who hate everything including their own birthdays.

Gee, and everyone says that stereotyping is bad.

Only 2 people say they hate it here? I dunno, I see a lot of posts about people complaining like crazy. Be it builders, drivers, sheetz, bottle rockets in the yard, ATVs, water management, quality of housing construction, road work that never seems to end, the list goes on.
I was always a very happy person until coming to somd. Somd didn't offer what I liked, and it tooks its toll on me, so I left. If you like it, fine. Enjoy it. I love where I'm at now because it offers everything *I* need. Is it perfect? Of course not. Will I live here forever? Who knows.
But people shouldn't hate because people have different tastes than them. I was able to learn this (thus my lack of bashing somd), I would hope others could do the same.

But considering the somdsucks site, I don't think i'm only 1 of 2 people who didn't like it there.

As far as IM4Change's comments about lack of friends? All the friends in the world wouldn't change the fact I had to drive an hour to shop, received constantly bad customer service, had idiot left lane drivers, etc. People always tried to find other excuses of why I didn't like it there, which I just don't understand. And then there is the "those things happen everywhere you go!" but it was at a much higher rate in somd than what I was used to.

K

Kain99

I'm hoping and praying that we don't have this same tired old fight again today. :frown:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Kain99
I'm hoping and praying that we don't have this same tired old fight again today. :frown:

Yes. It is amazing how people will ask a question about somd, or even post a poll about it, then get upset when someone offers an opinion other than theres. People love to talk about how great diversity is, as long as they agree with the people in question. :rolleyes:

K

Kizzy

"those things happen everywhere you go!"

That is exactly what I was thinking here, and most of the complaints here about

builders, drivers, sheetz, bottle rockets in the yard, ATVs, water management, quality of housing construction, road work that never seems to end

are just part of life no matter where you live.

I notice that whenever you live in a largely populated area, you will run across rude customer service. Right now, I think customer service has improved. There isn't a sign up in every window looking for help since the economy has gotten so strained. The area is growing and I know the road construction gets to be a pain. I once heard somebody refer to Maryland as the road cone capital of the United States, but that is the price you pay for progress.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I like it here. I have been here about 13 years and have no plans on going anywhere. As IM4 said, a closer beach would be better, but it is what you make of it.

K

Kain99

Speaking of closer Coastal Beaches....For as long as I can remember there have been discussions regarding a bridge from here to the Eastern Shore.

Anyone heard anything about that recently?

K

Kain99

Originally posted by RoseRed
I like it here. I have been here about 13 years and have no plans on going anywhere. As IM4 said, a closer beach would be better, but it is what you make of it.

Now I'm seeing Double! :biggrin:

F

Flo

I was born and have lived in Southern Maryland most of my life. Both my mother's and my father's families are Southern Maryland's original settlers.

Bored with small town farm living, after high school, I thought I would try out the city life. Was I ever wrong!! Like the saying, "You can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl!" I have lived in Alexandria, Va., Marlow Heights, Temple Hills, and Clinton, Md.....and the city life did not work for me, so I therefore moved back home!

As my husband and I both work full time; me in D.C. (14 hour days), and he sometimes working 7 day weeks, it is sometimes hard to find time to socialize. I enjoy making friends and don't ever think I have been rude to anyone, or unsociable, unless of course they came across as having an attitude. I believe a lot of Southern Marylanders (born and raised here) feel the same way.

There is a lot to see and do in Southern Maryland. It may not be what you were use to where you were from, but, if you are not happy, by all means make a change. If I wasn't happy, I sure as heck don't like to be miserable, and try taking everyone else down with me....Get a life, as it is too short, and be happy:smile:

:huggy:

Surf City Baby

Originally posted by Kain99

FWIW, I certainly didn't post this thread in order to start it.

Unfortunately, one can find incivility everywhere. Fortunately, during my time so far in So MD, it's been limited to message boards. :smile:

Last edited:

Surf City Baby

Happiness is what you make it . . . it can be a miserable place to live . . .

So can anywhere else. Life is what you make it, I agree. Attitude may not be everything, but it sure as hell counts for a lot.

Of course a nice sunny and close beach would make me very happy, but for the time being, I am fairly settled.

I'm getting my beach in three weeks. I'm going home! My eldest nephew is graduating from high school (oh, my god, am I getting old) and I wouldn't miss it for the world. It's been almost two years since I've been home, a year since I've seen any of my family. I'm beside myself with anticipation!

Ponytail

I've only been here for about 2 months, and I love it.

I like being close to the water. Clean air, quiet area. granted, not a whole lot of nightlife or other things for me to do (that I have found yet) outside of boating, or motorcycling. But I know I'll find it as time goes on.

I have been to the west coast on several occasions, and I didn't care for it, other than people attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle.
The air quaility out there is so bad, there's no need to smoke.

My friends come here from the West coast are always shocked to see the number of people, specifically women, that smoke.

one problem I doo have with people in general here, and obviously it's not EVERYONE, but I see too many people blatantly litering. This is a beautiful state, and the litter is unbelievable.

The politics here are a little screwy, but they are everywhere I guess. Just different struggles here.

I have lived in 3 other states on the east coast, and I am the kind of person that can pretty much live anywhere.

But I have been extremely happy here...so far.

K

Katie

I answered I love it here.

There are a few things that I don't like, BUT most places have that. Right now I am hating the rain, but that isn't the counties fault.

What I do love here far outweighs what I don't like.

And don't pay attention to Smalltown, because he is just Smalltown.

Surf City Baby

Originally posted by SmallTown
Yes. It is amazing how people will ask a question about somd, or even post a poll about it, then get upset when someone offers an opinion other than theres. People love to talk about how great diversity is, as long as they agree with the people in question. :rolleyes:

Hmm... I started this thread, and posted the poll, and I've posted nothing that's anything like what you suggest, ST. Are you mistaken? If not, perhaps you can point out that I have done so. Thanks.

F

Flo

Originally posted by Ponytail
I've only been here for about 2 months, and I love it.

I like being close to the water. Clean air, quiet area. granted, not a whole lot of nightlife or other things for me to do (that I have found yet) outside of boating, or motorcycling. But I know I'll find it as time goes on.

I have been to the west coast on several occasions, and I didn't care for it, other than people attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle.
The air quaility out there is so bad, there's no need to smoke.

My friends come here from the West coast are always shocked to see the number of people, specifically women, that smoke.

one problem I doo have with people in general here, and obviously it's not EVERYONE, but I see too many people blatantly litering. This is a beautiful state, and the litter is unbelievable.

The politics here are a little screwy, but they are everywhere I guess. Just different struggles here.

I have lived in 3 other states on the east coast, and I am the kind of person that can pretty much live anywhere.

But I have been extremely happy here...so far.

I also have a problem with litter. Could never understand why someone has to do so. Guess it doesn't faze some folks, but it disgusts me to see our roadways disgraced by trash! :burning: