Laplata schools

robinsonhj

There is a chance that I will be moving back to southern Maryland at the beginning of the year or next spring. I used to live in Waldorf and moved in 2001, before the boom hit. I know I will not move back to waldorf because from what i hear it has gotten pretty bad. I'm focusing on the laplata area. Any suggestions on schools? I have a 7yr old and 3yr old.

thanks

camily

Peace
robinsonhj said:
There is a chance that I will be moving back to southern Maryland at the beginning of the year or next spring. I used to live in Waldorf and moved in 2001, before the boom hit. I know I will not move back to waldorf because from what i hear it has gotten pretty bad. I'm focusing on the laplata area. Any suggestions on schools? I have a 7yr old and 3yr old.

thanks
Matula is great! My niece went there. On the flip side, I went to LPHS. :crazy:

rdkarob

robinsonhj said:

thanks

Your best bet, if you are moving back is to look in the Calvert area. The schools in LaPlata are ok but they will get worse within time. Look how Waldorf was just a few years back, now my neice is afraid to go to school, she is 15 and goes to Stone. Sorry, but I wouldn't send my child to a public school anywhere in Charles county

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
robinsonhj said:

thanks
The La Plata area has nice schools, but just remember they are in Charles County. Their school system is ridiculous.

robinsonhj

yeah, a few people were telling me about calvert, but isn't calvert a little far for communting unless you are working @pax?

rdkarob

robinsonhj said:
yeah, a few people were telling me about calvert, but isn't calvert a little far for communting unless you are working @pax?

That depends on where you need to go, the traffic on rt 5 is horrific and so is 210. However, if you have not visited Charles County lately even White Plains area, and you want your kids to have a good education and safe environment, go to northern calvert. Lots of charles countians are moving to Calvert because of the schools and safer area, although 10 years from now, I think anywhere in So Md will be bad. parents are not parenting, so....

camily

Peace
rdkarob said:
That depends on where you need to go, the traffic on rt 5 is horrific and so is 210. However, if you have not visited Charles County lately even White Plains area, and you want your kids to have a good education and safe environment, go to northern calvert. Lots of charles countians are moving to Calvert because of the schools and safer area, although 10 years from now, I think anywhere in So Md will be bad. parents are not parenting, so....
You have a grim outlook on life. JMO.

robbie

My son goes to McDonough in Pomfret even though we live in Waldorf. He loves it and I'm satisfied. (Honors, AP good sports etc.)
My problem is getting my daughter out of Waldorf for Middle School. Hoping to go to Somers or Picowaxen also but the real estate market really sucks right now.
If I didn't have one in high school though, I would be in Calvert, no matter what the drive!

rdkarob

camily said:
You have a grim outlook on life. JMO.

Nope, love life! Hate the fact that parents want to be friends with their kids and think "lil' johnny" does nothing wrong. Waldorf is horrible, traffic and crime.

by the way, I went to laplata as well, graduate in 86. been there lately, not at all what it was like when I went. relative works at North Point and refuses to send her child to any CC school! What does that tell you.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
rdkarob said:
Your best bet, if you are moving back is to look in the Calvert area. The schools in LaPlata are ok but they will get worse within time. Look how Waldorf was just a few years back, now my neice is afraid to go to school, she is 15 and goes to Stone. Sorry, but I wouldn't send my child to a public school anywhere in Charles county

:yeahthat:

Rents/housing prices are about the same in both counties now. Even the Ranch Club is 10x safer than Waldorf/La Plata nowdays.

rdkarob

vegmom said:
:yeahthat:

Rents/housing prices are about the same in both counties now. Even the Ranch Club is 10x safer than Waldorf/La Plata nowdays.

Sure am glad someone agrees with me, or you have a "grim" outlook on life as well.

camily

Peace
rdkarob said:
Sure am glad someone agrees with me, or you have a "grim" outlook on life as well.
I didn't just mean this thread. You always seem so negative. As I said, JMO. Don't loose any sleep over it man.

rdkarob

camily said:
I didn't just mean this thread. You always seem so negative. As I said, JMO. Don't loose any sleep over it man.

No sleep lost, believe me. Could careless what you think however, the reason for all the negativity is I grew up in charles county, been here a long time and the last 6 years of growth, crime, traffic and just the dam# kids that run around Waldorf have given me a sour taste in my mouth. Yes, we are looking to move and No my kid does NOT go to Public Schools, if we move to Calvert, she will then go to public. If you think that this area has not changed for the worst you are sadly mistaken. Just think what Clinton was like 15 years ago, not too bad, but Waldorf will be just as bad in another year or 2. This was a great place to raise kids, now its not, just a fact. More so, I think it is the parenting of these kids, I dont get being friends with your kids. :buttkick:

rdkarob

robinsonhj said:
Thanks for the info. Where in calvert should I look?

there are lots of places -

Owings
Huntingtown
Prince Frederick - be careful though some of the old neighborhoods are questionable.

Saint Leonard

There are a few Real Estate Agents on this site that will help you. The prices are going down as well, I guess it is a good time to buy, I am not an expert in that area. Bunch of my friends from the LaPlata area have moved over there and love it, much cleaner. Wait til you hit Waldorf, drive by the shoppers Food on 301, what a mess on the side of the road, nothing but trash. Good luck and I am sure you will enjoy your time in Calvert, we stay with friends most weekends and love it over there.