Paranoid America

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
Land of the paranoid

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Iraqi-Americans removed from flight for speaking Arabic

[/font]NBC News reported Thursday on an incident at the San Diego airport in which "an American airlines flight to Chicago was delayed because a passenger was scared of several Arabic-speaking men on board."

"Those men she heard talking? They were Iraqi-Americans, in town to train US Marines at Camp Pendleton," explained NBC's Brian Williams. The men were removed from the plane and questioned briefly before being released. The flight was canceled and all passengers caught other flights the next day.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Believe it or not, but that makes more sense than frisking your grandmother and taking away her knitting needles

forestal

I'm the Boss of Me
Not really. Knitting needles are a dangerous weapon.

The Arabic Language isn't. It just goes to show how stupid the American Public is.

aps45819 said:
Believe it or not, but that makes more sense than frisking your grandmother and taking away her knitting needles

rack'm

Jaded
In todays times, they should of known that talking in their native tongue is a bad thing, they should of spoke English.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
forestal said:

The Arabic Language isn't. It just goes to show how stupid the American Public is.
Yes really
When a gray haired, 70 year old 100 lb woman has a set of knitting needles I don't fear that she will assualt me.
ALL hijackings and bombings done on US territory in the last 10 years were committed by young middle eastern males.

What's stupid is ignoring that
Thanks for being publicly stupid AGAIN :lol:

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
rack'm said:
In todays times, they should of known that talking in their native tongue is a bad thing, they should of spoke English.

You are correct, it is their fault. They should have known better. This is a failing that many Iraqi-Americans have. The challenge is that even if they HAD spoken English they would have spoken with a disagreeable accent and the result would most probably have been the same. Moreover, some domestic citizens have difficulty expressing themselves in their native tongue and that puts them at a disadvantage when traveling on an American aircraft.

Here's what the U.S. Department of State had to say about it in 2006.

IRAQ FOCUS: Report Says Iraqi Language May Be Barrier
March 26th, 2006
WASHINGTON, DC -- A new State Department report released this week said that language barriers may be one factor in the country's reconstruction woes.
"Iraqis use a strange, incomprehensible series of meaningless phonemes to communicate. Needless to say, it's very difficult to understand," the report said. "Iraqis may communicate much more efficiently with a language like English, which is easy to learn and use."
State Department Deputy Secretary Ronald Zoellick explained, "There may in fact be no one 'Iraqi language,' but they may even speak a number of different strange languages, if you can believe that. All the more reason for them to standardize on the English language for their own use."

Last edited:

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
forestal said:
Land of the paranoid

[font=Times New Roman, Times, serif]Iraqi-Americans removed from flight for speaking Arabic

[/font]NBC News reported Thursday on an incident at the San Diego airport in which "an American airlines flight to Chicago was delayed because a passenger was scared of several Arabic-speaking men on board."

"Those men she heard talking? They were Iraqi-Americans, in town to train US Marines at Camp Pendleton," explained NBC's Brian Williams. The men were removed from the plane and questioned briefly before being released. The flight was canceled and all passengers caught other flights the next day.

Wonder if the flight was bound for Dearborn?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
rack'm said:
Agree. Normally I don't care when people speak a foreign language (unless I want to evesdrop) but you'd think Ayrabs in today's environment would be aware that we don't really like them all that much anymore.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
forestal said:

Yeah, you're right Forcedstool. Middle Easterners flying on our planes would never hurt us, would they? I've never trusted those little old ladies though. They are dangerous.

This just goes to show us how stupid you are.

Kerad

:jameo: :jameo: :jameo:

Attachments

• av348-arab-on-plane.jpg
    av348-arab-on-plane.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 121

Christy

b*tch rocket
forestal said:
It just goes to show how stupid the American Public is.

Just as stupid as American women having to cover themselves in many Muslim Nations. :shrug:

I believe that one should always try and be sensitive to the culture they are in. It goes both ways ya know?

Kerad

Huh.

Well, as I remember, Timothy McVeigh was a Redneck American.

Soooo...

Everytime we see a Redneck American in a moving truck...we should call the cops.

Everytime I hear a redneck accent...off we go!!!

USA! USA! USA!!!

:patriot:

Christy

b*tch rocket
Kerad said:
Huh.

Well, as I remember, Timothy McVeigh was a Redneck American.

Soooo...

Everytime we see a Redneck American in a moving truck...we should call the cops.

Everytime I hear a redneck accent...off we go!!!

USA! USA! USA!!!

:patriot:

Timothy McVeigh wasn't on an airplane. Besides, there is still plenty of hysteria and suspicion that goes on when it comes to redneck Americans. It's called the anti-gun movement. :razz:

Kerad

Christy said:
Timothy McVeigh wasn't on an airplane. Besides, there is still plenty of hysteria and suspicion that goes on when it comes to redneck Americans. It's called the anti-gun movement. :razz:

:lmao:

So...just for the sake of conversation...

Seeing a couple of country boys driving a Ryder truck into the city wouldn't make you think twice? While hearing an arab language on a plane would?

Do you not see a "thing" , there?

Christy

b*tch rocket
And besides Kerad, it isn't if they were drug off the plane, strip searched, and thrown into the clink. They were briefly questioned and they went on their way. Why is that so absurd to you? The whities get it all of the time. I know several caucasions who are pulled aside for questioning every single time they try and get on an airplane because their name matches a name on the no fly list.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Kerad said:
:lmao:

So...just for the sake of conversation...

Seeing a couple of country boys driving a Ryder truck into the city wouldn't make you think twice? While hearing an arab language on a plane would?

Do you not see a "thing" , there?

Quite frankly, I wouldn't think twice about either scenario, but I don't think it's that big of a deal that it may unnerve someone else. I think the whole issue is being hugely blown out of proportion. People get questioned every day at airports all over the world, not just in the US. BFD. :shrug:

Kerad

Christy said:
And besides Kerad, it isn't if they were drug off the plane, strip searched, and thrown into the clink. They were briefly questioned and they went on their way. Why is that so absurd to you? The whities get it all of the time. I know several caucasions who are pulled aside for questioning every single time they try and get on an airplane because their name matches a name on the no fly list.

:nono:

That's not the point.

The point is...I guess...that since 9/11, being suspicious of every Muslim on a plane is "natural".

I understand...and I don't argue that.

However....after the Oklahoma City bombing...

Why isn't it just as "natural" to be suspicious of Rednecks in a Ryder truck? Or Rednecks near a federal building?

There are a hell of a lot more Rednecks in America then Muslims.

What should we do about them?

Christy

b*tch rocket
Kerad said:

That's not the point.

The point is...I guess...that since 9/11, being suspicious of every Muslim on a plane is "natural".

Why isn't it just as "natural" to be suspicious of Rednecks in a Ryder truck? Or Rednecks near a federal building?

It is the point, and you are grasping at straws when you compare the two. After the Oklahoma City bombing, they were looking for suspicious rednecks. They found him and put him to death if memory serves me correctly. :shrug:

The fact of the matter is, it was Muslim men who were hijackers, and to play the apologist and completely ignore that as a factor in "profiling" is foolish to say the least.

And as a side note, I imagine there are many more redneck Americans questioned prior to boarding an airplane than Muslims, all due to not wanting to "profile' and get the Muslim community in a snit.

Dork

Highlander's MPD
Kerad said:

That's not the point.

Here's a question for you. Who is a bigger threat to us in 2007? A redneck or a group of radical muslims? Most rednecks just wanna kill a deer or two in the fall. Most RADICAL muslims want to kill us all. Not all Muslims, but a large enough group that we need to watch out. Timothy McVeigh was a dangerous messed up redneck but most are harmless unless you are a wild turkey or deer.

Kerad

Christy said:
It is the point, and you are grasping at straws when you compare the two. After the Oklahoma City bombing, they were looking for suspicious rednecks. They found him and put him to death if memory serves me correctly. :shrug:

The fact of the matter is, it was Muslim men who were hijackers, and to play the apologist and completely ignore that as a factor in "profiling" is foolish to say the least.

And as a side note, I imagine there are many more redneck Americans questioned prior to boarding an airplane than Muslims, all due to not wanting to "profile' and get the Muslim community in a snit.

I'm really not arguing with you...but I say if we are going to profile (as a country)...we need to get on board and stretch the search for all profiles.

That would make us safer...yes?

We should profile against Muslims for hijacking planes with boxcutters.

We should profile against Rednecks for bombing federal buildings.

We should profile against husbands for killing wives.

We should profile against African-Americans for killing African-Americans.

We should profile against European-Americans for killing European -Americans.

We would profile against European- Americans for killing American-Americans...but we pretty much killed them all long ago...so....eh.

I think I made my point....