Media distrust...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...is all the rage theses days...in the media.

What, with the rip off dude at the New York Times, the re-hash of all the other liars over the recent years and the endless analysis of WHO? WHAT? WHEN? WHERE? WHY? ...and...HOW CAN THIS BE???

And this pm, Bill Schneider, political analyst extraordinaire on CNN had this to add...(paraphrasing)

"...and a new poll shows that the group that most mistrusts the media is the group that did not got to college!!!! GASP!!!...In this group almost 70% said they expect lies and distortions from the media!!!..."

Bill, or, BS, if you prefer, accentuated this "story", dishonest media style, as though this un-washed mass WAS the problem, not the media.

Then they showed the poll...The group that IS college educated???

59% expect the media to lie.

Vrai and I argue over whether or not they KNOW what they are doing. She always says "they simply are that blind to their own actions". I always say "Nah! NOBODY is that delusional!"

So, I "learned" three things today.

70% of college UN-educated people have a clue.

A college education costs 10% of the whole the clue they had before they went to college.

And...the media still don't have a clue.

I won't say I learned my babe is right again. Happens to often to be noteworthy.

:hohum:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Larry Gude
Vrai and I argue over whether or not they KNOW what they are doing.
I will accept your apology whenever you're ready to offer it up. :cool:

What kills me is that the news guys are making such a big deal over Jayson Blair - "Imagine that! Media people who lie and distort the truth! :yikes: :duh:"

I got my first taste of the media making stories more interesting than what they really are when I was in high school. There was a fight between a guy, who happened to be white, and another guy, who happened to be black. The Lincoln Journal-Star had a front page story on the "race riot" that was going on at my school.

My relatives were like "What the hell is going on at that place!?!" When the fact is, had they seen the crowd gathered around to root their favorite warrior on, they would have seen that there were just as many white guys on the black guy's side and vice versa. No race riot - just two guys duking it out. :duh:

B

Bruzilla

Here's why I distrust the media:

1. Snowballing Stories. This was the big thing during the build up to Iraq. It starts by someone like me staging some stupid protest and calling a reporter at a local media outlet and inviting them to come out on a slow news day. The local guy comes out, files a story based on a need to get "all sides of the issue" out, and the snowball starts. The next stop is someone at a media outlet further up the food chain gets wind of my little protest and it changes from "Bruzilla Protests Against Military Action in Iraq" to "Protests Against Iraq Action Growing", which is true because my protest grew the count from zero to one.

Stage three is other media outlets hear that protests are growing, and then they start asking administration officials about how they feel about the growing number of protests. Then their response pushes the story further along as the media now reports that "Administration Officials Not Worried About Rising Protests." Now more and more people are fixated on "all these protests" even thought there may be only one.

2. Telling One Side of the Story. This is one that is really ticking me off about the tax cut, and even FNC is guilty about it. All they talk about is how much money people, especially rich people, are getting back but never, ever mention how much money they are paying in. Saying that a person is getting $7,000,000 back invokes far more negative emotions than saying "They're getting $7,000,000 back, but they're still forced to pay $43,000,000." That second half of the story invokes sympathy for the rich and the media can't have that.

3. Experts and Consultants. These guys are the worst part of a desperate media. These guys usually have no idea what's going on, and end up driving stories even though their basing their assumptions on outdated information. Then when they turn out to be wrong, the media (the same people who gave them their pedigree as a reliable source) the media makes no distinction between bogus information from their experts and the information coming through official sources. During the sniper case, the real FBI profilers never said anything, it was the media experts who said the shooter would be white. Yet, many reporters made remarks about how wrong police had been in their profiles.

4. Allowing People to Lie Without Calling Them On It. Watch anytime that a member of NOW or NARAL is on a newscast and hear about a woman's constitutional right to an abortion, and see if the interviewer says "Ah, a woman has a right to privacy, not to abortion."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Bruzilla
3. Experts and Consultants.
This is my personal pet peeve - especially when they're talking about something I'm very knowledgeable about because I know for fact that they don't have a clue and are just talking out their azz. They bank on most people in la-la-land being too stupid to realize it.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Media spin

:mad: Here's a story where they try and make you feel sorry for the perps to forget about the victim.

Bad situation turns tragic for 2 mothers
TITUSVILLE -- They were single mothers whose friends and family said were simply caught up in a bad situation.

But what investigators said started out as a shoplifting run for a stylish swimsuit has brought murder charges for a 21-year-old woman working as a nursing assistant and a 16-year-old mother of a 1-year-old girl.

Keith Poore, a 39-year-old Merritt Square mall security guard, suffered fatal injuries Saturday after being struck with a car in a shoplifting incident. Luchreasy Reese, 21, and Denise Anderson, 16, are charged in the incident.

"I feel like it was just an accident that went bad," said Tonya Burch, a 24-year-old friend of Denise Anderson and Luchreasy Reese.

"They should be charged with stealing and that's about it. It's a shame (Poore) died, but he shouldn't have jumped in front of the car."

Not an accident

demsformd

I think that conservatives need to find something new to complain about besides the immigrants, the trial lawyers, and the media.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by demsformd
I think that conservatives need to find something new to complain about besides the immigrants, the trial lawyers, and the media.
...and aborticide, and campaign irregularities, and weak national defense, and freak judges, and forced association, and and and...

I think liberals need to find something new to complain about besides conservatives.

demsformd

Originally posted by vraiblonde

I think liberals need to find something new to complain about besides conservatives.

Conservatives complain about things that do not matter. Liberals, moderates, and most Democrats complain about the things that do like the lack of equality for women, the hatred of immigrants and their cultures, a general sense of intolerance in this nation, a national debt that is soaring to uncontrollable amounts, the loss of 2 million jobs....

SamSpade

Originally posted by demsformd
, the hatred of immigrants and their cultures, a general sense of intolerance in this nation, ..

Oh yeah - THERE'S something that a few acts of Congress would wipe out. Don't forget "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin".

If you want 'tolerance', try practicing some - start with some group you don't like - you know, like conservatives. REALLY hard to expect tolerance while giving NONE.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Yeah, Dems, because all those things you mentioned are so much more important than national defense and violent crime rates. :duh: (Ouch! Cari, grab my eye, would ya?)

And you can quit with your patronizing view of women any time. I happen to BE a woman and I'm perfectly equal, thankyouveddymuch.

Surf City Baby

Re: Media spin?

Originally posted by Sharon
:mad: Here's a story where they try and make you feel sorry for the perps to forget about the victim.

:really: Hardly. I read the article and I don't feel sorry for the women at all. In fact, I was incensed by this quote:

"They should be charged with stealing and that's about it. It's a shame (Poore) died, but he shouldn't have jumped in front of the car."

I don't get the impression the author of the article was trying to spin sympathy at all. All I noticed was that it was a lousy situation, front to back. There's not much on this earth that's as &%$#*-!%$$#! stupid as that a man was killed because a couple of idiots decided to steal a bathing suit, and then didn't have the brains (or the ovaries) to put on the brakes.

"Shouldn't have jumped in front of the car," my ###. I'd like to see that person try to rationalize this to the man's family.