"3:10 to Yuma"

BlackSheep

Looking forward to seeing this flick! It opens today. :yay:
Based on an Elmore Leonard story and a 1957 screen version starring Glenn Ford. Great Western drama doesn't erupt from the barrel of a gun so much as burn from the depths of a human heart.
Starring:Ben Foster, Christian Bale, Dallas Roberts, Logan Lerman, Russell Crowe and Peter Fonda

jenbengen

Watch it
BlackSheep said:
Looking forward to seeing this flick! It opens today. :yay:
Based on an Elmore Leonard story and a 1957 screen version starring Glenn Ford. Great Western drama doesn't erupt from the barrel of a gun so much as burn from the depths of a human heart.
Starring:Ben Foster, Christian Bale, Dallas Roberts, Logan Lerman, Russell Crowe and Peter Fonda

I'm not normally into those kinds of movies, but I saw the preview at the movie theater and it looked REALLY good. :yay:

DotTheEyes

Movie Fan
View the trailer...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhsnAt9Qd7Y

As of late, the release of westerns, films set in the world of gunslinging outlaws and lawmen, saloons and the range, has been so infrequent the genre has been pronounced dead. But is it? If every upcoming western is as good as director James Mangold's 3:10 to Yuma (or close), I hope not. The film stars Russell Crowe as Ben Wade, a recently-captured outlaw who terrorized the Southern Railroad, and Christian Bale as Dan Evans, a drought-plagued rancher desperate to bring him to justice for the reward. Evans' mission to deliver Wade to Contention City, Arizona where the titular locomotive waits (complicated by Wade's still-free band of thieves and murderers) becomes a brutal and unpredictable ride towards fate.

James Mangold is not interested in reinventing the genre or its epic mythos. Instead, he simply concentrates on shooting this story as best he can. This results in a film which never lapses into pretentious pondering, but features rip-roaring, gut-wrenching action sequences filled with suspense and drama and a cast of characters who are colorful and fascinating, none more so than Ben Wade and Dan Wades. The evolution of their relationship, which begins as captive and captor, is riveting and poignant. Both Russell Crowe and Christian Bale are at the top of their game and deliver outstanding perforances. The former is especially impressive in his essaying of charisma belying deadly intensity.

All in all, 3:10 to Yuma is the best film I have seen this year (at least thus far). It's a perfect example of the separate elements, from acting to cinematography to directing to editing to musical scoring to screenwriting, being perfect and coming together to form a whole which is very, very easy to recommend.

Attachments

• Yuma1.jpg
    Yuma1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 73
  • Yuma2.jpg
    Yuma2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Yuma3.jpg
    Yuma3.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Yuma4.jpg
    Yuma4.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Yuma5.jpg
    Yuma5.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 76

Pandora

We are going to see this later in the week. I cannot wait! I love Russell Crowe and the 50's version of this movie was fantastic. Some critics are saying it is the best movie they have seen all year.

Cletus_Vandam

Spoiler Alert!

I saw the movie last week. On a scale of one to ten, I have to give it a 7.

I am a huge fan of westerns, but this one holds no candle to the likes of Tombstone, or even Deadwood.

I think the biggest problem with the movie was that there wasn't a true "bad guy". Crowe turns out to be a good guy at the end. I kept wanting him to shoot Bale in the head and Bale's son to see it all and shoot Crowe.

There were some parts of the movie that were good, but only a 7/10 for me.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Cletus_Vandam said:
I saw the movie last week. On a scale of one to ten, I have to give it a 7.

I am a huge fan of westerns, but this one holds no candle to the likes of Tombstone, or even Deadwood.

I think the biggest problem with the movie was that there wasn't a true "bad guy". Crowe turns out to be a good guy at the end. I kept wanting him to shoot Bale in the head and Bale's son to see it all and shoot Crowe.

There were some parts of the movie that were good, but only a 7/10 for me.
Now I don't have to see it because I know how it ends.

DotTheEyes

Movie Fan
***Spoilers***

(Highlight to read)

Cletus_Vandam said:

I thought the moral grey zone in which Ben Wade (Russell Crowe) operated was a fascinating element of the film, so I have to disagree with you. His alternating charisma and brutality made him a very unpredictable and entertaining character, I thought.

Besides, there was a true villian: Charley Prince (Ben Foster), the outlaw who assumed control of the gang after Wade was arrested. He was very cold-blooded and menacing.

DotTheEyes

Movie Fan
September is a great month for the western genre. 3:10 to Yuma is fantastic. And there's also The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (long, but cool title) with Brad Pitt. It seems superb. You can watch the trailer herehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZot_K5GgYs. It's playing in select cities now, but should expand nationwide soon.

Cletus_Vandam

DotTheEyes said:
***Spoilers***

(Highlight to read)

I thought the moral grey zone in which Ben Wade (Russell Crowe) operated was a fascinating element of the film, so I have to disagree with you. His alternating charisma and brutality made him a very unpredictable and entertaining character, I thought.

Besides, there was a true villian: Charley Prince (Ben Foster), the outlaw who assumed control of the gang after Wade was arrested. He was very cold-blooded and menacing.

I didn't say the movie was terrible, it was good, just that it wasn't great. I gave it 7 out of 10.

You do have to admit it was no where as good as Tombstone. And, it's been a while since I watched it, but I'd even go as far as saying that Young Guns was a better flick.

C

czygvtwkr

I just saw this and I believe it to be one of the best modern westerns made.

I really liked Tombstone but it was more of a Blockbuster than a western IMHO.

Didn't care all that much for Unforgiven.