Can a Cop answer this question for me?

Peter Forsberg

What is the fine for throwing a lite cancer stick out the car window? I see 4 or 5 a day when leaving work. Do they care that it is very dry outside and fires can start very easily in these kinds of conditions.

B

Bronwyn

Peter Forsberg said:
What is the fine for throwing a lite cancer stick out the car window? I see 4 or 5 a day when leaving work. Do they care that it is very dry outside and fires can start very easily in these kinds of conditions.

Not a cop but I think it's just the standard littering fine.
I know that on base they will pull you over for that in a heart beat.

smcop

Peter Forsberg said:
I am a cop, but couldn't tell you what the fine is. What ever the fine for littering would be is what it is. The problem is that fine is in an obscure part of the transportation article, so many officers, including me, don't bother to look it up. I haven't seen anybody throw a cigarette out of a vehicle in several years. Last time I did, I wrote the ticket.

Peter Forsberg

Wow

smcop said:
I am a cop, but couldn't tell you what the fine is. What ever the fine for littering would be is what it is. The problem is that fine is in an obscure part of the transportation article, so many officers, including me, don't bother to look it up. I haven't seen anybody throw a cigarette out of a vehicle in several years. Last time I did, I wrote the ticket.
Wow like I said I see it several times a day going to and from work. I'm sure Cops have other things to worry about I was just curious.

belvak

Happy Camper
smcop said:

Take a drive up Rt. 5 about 5:30-6:00 in the morning. Sorta looks like fireworks there are so many being tossed! My biggest gripe other than the danger of starting fires, is that I am half afraid anymore to leave my sunroof open. One day the guy in front of me tossed one out of his sunroof and it just barely missed coming in mine. :jameo:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
belvak said:
Take a drive up Rt. 5 about 5:30-6:00 in the morning. Sorta looks like fireworks there are so many being tossed! My biggest gripe other than the danger of starting fires, is that I am half afraid anymore to leave my sunroof open. One day the guy in front of me tossed one out of his sunroof and it just barely missed coming in mine. :jameo:
Maybe he was trying to get you to back off his bumper. :shrug:
There is NO WAY a car in front of you can get a butt in your sunroof unless you're trying to save gas by drafting :lol:

Rael

Supper's Ready
belvak said:
I see a couple each morning as well. I'm a smoker, but not in the car. But if I did, I'd ashtray the butt instead of tossing it... 0.02

belvak

Happy Camper
aps45819 said:
There is NO WAY a car in front of you can get a butt in your sunroof unless you're trying to save gas by drafting :lol:

I wasn't on his bumper. The light had just turned green and we were beginning to accelerate... It had a nice arc on it though! :lmao:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
I hate it when there is someone in the car in front of me smoking with the window down. Makes my truck smell like smoke. Maybe they should ban people smoking in cars :shrug: That would resolve the littering problem :lmao:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Magnum said:
I hate it when there is someone in the car in front of me smoking with the window down. Makes my truck smell like smoke. Maybe they should ban people smoking in cars :shrug: That would resolve the littering problem :lmao:

Don't even go there. :lmao:

beamher

smcop said:

that sounds unbelievable

beamher

belvak said:

try rt. 4 during the morning commute......... i don't like when people toss cigarettes out the window put doing it while the vehicle is moving is just stupid :smack: and inconsiderate

MLGTS08

live.LAUGH.love
beamher said:
try rt. 4 during the morning commute......... i don't like when people toss cigarettes out the window put doing it while the vehicle is moving is just stupid :smack: and inconsiderate
:yeahthat: also at night when they throw it and it scares the crap outta you then you realise what it is.

twobit

aps45819 said:
I had one hit my hood - not far from sunroof territory. I was probably three car lengths behind the other car at about 50 mph or so. Not quite the recommended 1 car length per 10mph, but not exactly drafting either.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Not a cop, but:
§ 21-1111 (d) Refuse on highway or public bridge or in public waters.- A person may not throw, dump, discharge, or deposit any trash, junk, or other refuse on any highway or public bridge or in any public waters.
It's a two point offense on your license:
§ 16-402. (6) Any violation of § 21-1111 of this article ...................2 points
And jail, fine, or both:
§ 10-110. Litter Control Law.
(c) Prohibited.- A person may not:

(1) dispose of litter on a highway or perform an act that violates the State Vehicle Laws regarding disposal of litter, glass, and other prohibited substances on highways; or

(f) Penalty.-
(1) A person who violates this section is subject to the penalties provided in this subsection.
(2) (i) A person who disposes of litter in violation of this section in an amount not exceeding 100 pounds or 27 cubic feet and not for commercial gain is guilty of a misdemeanor and on conviction is subject to imprisonment not exceeding 30 days or a fine not exceeding $1,500 or both.