Well said, Well said

kalmd

I don't disagree with the wage difference between SoMd as opposed to PG and DC. Those areas are more dangerous and have more crime than we do, so the officers should get paid more. It would take a little extra money to get people to work in those areas.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Why should they be considered in a class by them selves, I'd guess a quarter of the county work second jobs to make ends meet.

kalmd

aps45819 said:
:shrug: just about any job will pay more in DC than a comparable job here.

True. I don't like my commute to DC everyday, I do it for the money.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
kalmd said:
Cops and firemen get screwed on that, I think there is a requirement that they be DC residents for the city jobs.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
aps45819 said:
Cops and firemen get screwed on that, I think there is a requirement that they be DC residents for the city jobs.

Nope...unless they've just started it. There was talk (at least for the firemen) but I don't think it was enacted.

belvak

Happy Camper
aps45819 said:

My old neighbor from when I lived in PG County was, and still is, a DC Firefighter. :smile:

Thor

kalmd said:

DING! Winna!

I would take this one step further. I used to be a DC MPD officer. I enjoyed every last minute of it. But once someone took notice of my computer skills I was offered a job in DC working with networks. I could not refuse, and my pay went from 29K to 65K within the course of a week, and this was 15 years ago..

Now I am stuck. I mean really stuck because I hate the IT industry. I hate everything about it. But the problem is now I can't go back because the salaries in IT has gone thru the roof if you have the skills and now my family is living well above the means of a police officer.

It really sucks 'cuse I would go back in a heartbeat if I could afford to.

Last edited:

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
Merlin99 said:
Why should they be considered in a class by them selves, I'd guess a quarter of the county work second jobs to make ends meet.

:yeahthat: I have 2 part time jobs, plus my full-time job. :shrug: