Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 69

Thread: By popular demand: The Feral Cat Thread

  1. #41
    R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you! SouthernMdRocks's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCrazy
    Yeah...I only know of a rescue in Calvert that takes them in...but not for adoption (to my knowledge anyway...)
    I know of a rescue that takes care of the feral cats running around a tree farm. They make sure they get all the neccessary care and try to adopt out the young ones that aren't too wild.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Location
    in my own little world
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernMdRocks
    I know of a rescue that takes care of the feral cats running around a tree farm. They make sure they get all the neccessary care and try to adopt out the young ones that aren't too wild.
    Yep, some of the kittens can be saved and tamed. Husband found some kittens when they were tearing down a bldg, a rescue group took them, they let him use a trap and he trapped the Momma cat too. The rescue group had her spayed, the kittens were going to be adopted out...

  3. #43
    Song of the South Winn Dixie's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Location
    South
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucklesack
    Why do you have Barn Cats?

    Because you want / need to keep the "pests" down (a "pest" to you, could be some others pets).

    Do you feel the torture, your barn cats inflict on the mice/rats/possums isnt Animal Cruelty? and dont try to say Cats arent cruel, they will play with a mouse and eventually kill it even when they dont eat it.

    You justify having animals that are knowingly cruel to other animals, yet get upset at someone else that doesnt want what he determines Pests around.

    the only difference is your "Definition" of Pets and Pests
    Barn cats don't sit around looking for mice to kill. In fact, they are usually well fed cats who, by their mere presence on the farm, keep mice away. Now that doesn't mean they don't kill a mouse once in a while, but even mice get smart and move on to safer havens.
    "Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage's whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is the process of setting man free from men."
    - Ayn Rand

  4. #44
    R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you! SouthernMdRocks's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Winn Dixie
    Barn cats don't sit around looking for mice to kill. In fact, they are usually well fed cats who, by their mere presence on the farm, keep mice away. Now that doesn't mean they don't kill a mouse once in a while, but even mice get smart and move on to safer havens.
    Isn't that the truth, my cats are a little on the chubby side.

  5. #45
    R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you! SouthernMdRocks's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucklesack
    No doubt, but you and SouthernMdRocks have avoided my point, the fact that Feral Cats are Pests. And just as with other Pests sometimes it is neccessary to kill them in order to remove the problem.

    The ONLY DIFFERENCE is that you see cats as Pets and cant or wont distinguish that they can also be PESTS. You approve of using Cats to remove the Pests at the barn, AND in a less humane way, than shooting the pests outright. Cats will and do torture the pests, ESPECIALLY if they are well fed chubby kitties.

    Mice, Rats and Possums (just as Cats) can be other peoples Pets, you maynot like them, but its true. to you they are Pests. the only difference is the perception between who's Pet and who's Pest.
    Nope, I didn't avoid your point at all. Sure feral cats can be pests but there are other alternative ways to dealing with them vs. the old coot running around the school yard shooting them.

    Feral cats make great barn cats if they aren't too crazy, it gives them a purpose (so they are no longer "pests") or the ones that are too wild when caught get put to sleep, more humane then using them for target practice.

    I use to have mice and hamsters as pets. The ones running around the barn being "pests" surely aren't anyones pets. I can say that I seldom find killed mice around my barn, thankgoodness I don't find rats,,,therefore I guess either my cats are keeping them away or they are atleast eating them rather then waste their kill. My guess is they are staying away since my cats are fed daily.

  6. #46
    R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you! SouthernMdRocks's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucklesack
    And once again, you missed the point.

    A feral Cat and a mouse in your barn, ARE THE SAME THING. PESTS.

    You approve and condone, using your Cats to kill one type of Pest (the MICE), and since your cats are chubby and well fed, that means most likely they are killing them slowly, but definetly not humanely (sp?)(even could say torturing them) and not for food.

    yet you dont approve of someone killing another Pest quickly and Humanly and cant come to grips with the fact that the Feral cats are no different than the mice/rats/and possums (let alone squirrels, birds, frogs etc) that your cats can and do kill (even if you dont see them)
    You are just !! Your point was not MISSED, just not agreed with. Whether or not that feral cat is a "pest" is the subject to the opinion of the person dealing with it.

    If indeed it is someone's pest then send it to the SPCA and have it dealt with in a humane way. I don't think the SPCA will take the pest field mice in, therefore mother nature takes care of that, ie..prey vs. predator. Might not be humane to the mouse but just a fact of life. I hear what you are saying but just don't think you can equate a person shooting cats for whatever reason with an act of mother nature.

  7. #47
    R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you! SouthernMdRocks's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Nucklesack
    so will the SPCA come out? or is it up to the person who has to deal with the Pest Feral Cat to take the Feral Cat to the SPCA?
    They'll come out to get them, so will several other rescues as well.

  8. #48
    Song of the South Winn Dixie's Avatar
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Location
    South
    Posts
    590
    Quote Originally Posted by Winn Dixie
    Barn cats don't sit around looking for mice to kill. In fact, they are usually well fed cats who, by their mere presence on the farm, keep mice away. Now that doesn't mean they don't kill a mouse once in a while, but even mice get smart and move on to safer havens.
    Wow, what do you think the chances are that two people think I'm a POS within a minute of each other:

    By popular demand: The... 10-17-2006 09:56 AM And your handle should be POS
    By popular demand: The... 10-17-2006 09:55 AM and your handle should be POS


    Not to say it hasn't happened before, but not quite that close together.
    "Civilization is the progress toward a society of privacy. The savage's whole existence is public, ruled by the laws of his tribe. Civilization is the process of setting man free from men."
    - Ayn Rand

  9. #49
    R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you! SouthernMdRocks's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Winn Dixie
    Wow, what do you think the chances are that two people think I'm a POS within a minute of each other:

    By popular demand: The... 10-17-2006 09:56 AM And your handle should be POS
    By popular demand: The... 10-17-2006 09:55 AM and your handle should be POS


    Not to say it hasn't happened before, but not quite that close together.
    Must be the same old compulsive bottom feeder.

  10. #50
    Registered User
    Member Since
    Aug 2006
    Location
    in my own little world
    Posts
    1,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Winn Dixie
    Wow, what do you think the chances are that two people think I'm a POS within a minute of each other:

    By popular demand: The... 10-17-2006 09:56 AM And your handle should be POS
    By popular demand: The... 10-17-2006 09:55 AM and your handle should be POS


    Not to say it hasn't happened before, but not quite that close together.
    Sorry WD... You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Winn Dixie again.

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |