Guantanamo Bay

R

roscoe69@verizo

Anyone have anyone they know in the armed services deployed to Guantanamo Bay Cuba ? My son in law Is heading there in May '08, just trying to get a feel for the general conditions.

Thanks in advance!

dustin

UAIOE
I knew a guy that was on an IA deployment there (Navy). I believe his words were "Better than having IED's blow up next to you in Iraq I suppose." with a :shrug: at the end. He couldn't talk much about it though. Security reasons...

Is your son in law in the Navy?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Guy I work with just got back after 18 months there. Doesn't seem to have changed much since I was there in the late '70s. Tropical island, nice beaches, dried up golf course with mine fields in the roughs, HUGH banana rats, can't go off base but you can catch hops to nearby islands for $10.

awpitt

Main Streeter
roscoe69@verizo said:
Anyone have anyone they know in the armed services deployed to Guantanamo Bay Cuba ? My son in law Is heading there in May '08, just trying to get a feel for the general conditions.

Thanks in advance!

I was there about twenty years ago for REFTRA. There’s some really nice snorkeling there. They’d just built the McDonalds which was a big deal at the time. I was there in the winter which meant hot during the day but a refreshing cool down at night.

LCDj

Lou
Gitmo

I was there for refresher training in the mid 70's. From what I observed I recommend the following:

Not a good place for a person with a family
Get updated on dangerous marine species
Do not play around with the armed U.S. Marine guards, they do not play games.
Do not go off the path into the mine fields (which are marked)
Take R and R trips (as many as you can)
Watch the booze, easy place to become an alcoholic
Don't be stupid, keep your nose clean do not foul up your career