Aluminum Welding

Anybody do aluminum welding around here? I have 2 pieces for my boat that need a 1/4" x 3" x 7" or 10" piece of flat stock welded on.

I tried the aluminum welding rod I got from Lugnut (used with a propane torch) and I couldn't get it to work. Want to do it right.

Now to get with Lugnut to return the rods he gave me.

Pete

Repete
huntr1 said:
Anybody do aluminum welding around here? I have 2 pieces for my boat that need a 1/4" x 3" x 7" or 10" piece of flat stock welded on.

I tried the aluminum welding rod I got from Lugnut (used with a propane torch) and I couldn't get it to work. Want to do it right.

:lol: That won't work. You are lucky you didn't mess it up because aluminim has a very low melting point, it goes from solid to liquid really quick. Might want to check body shops, they should have a heliarc machine.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Check with Three Mules Welding. They might be able to do it or give you someone who can.

PJumper

huntr1 said:

Aluminum welding is done with a special welding machine, which incorporates the use of nitrogen to have a clean weld. Ask around for an Aviation Structural mechanic (AMS) and they should be able to help you out.