Oct. 20th: Young Eagles at St. Mary's Co. Airport

dgates80

Land of the lost
Hi everyone,
The local EAA Chapter 478 is hosting a Young Eagles Rally on Oct. 20th at St. Mary's Airport.

What's Young Eagles? It's an opportunity for kids ages 8 to 17 to fly with a volunteer EAA member pilot and airplane as an introduction to the exciting world of aviation. These are intended as short local flights and are educational in theme. It also happens to be a TON of fun -- and I don't know who gets the bigger kick, the pilots working with the kids or the Young Eagles!

The cost? It's free! Our chapter member pilots offer their time, skills, and airplanes to do this for the kids.

For more information on the Young Eagles program see the Young Eagles website at www.youngeagles.org

So, just come on by the St. Mary's Airport terminal building Saturday, Oct. 20th from 8 am until 1pm, we hope to see you and your kids there!

bohman

I took a flight with that group once when I was 17. It's a very cool program. Took off from a grass strip in a small plane, and I got to take the controls briefly while we were up.

dgates80

Land of the lost
bohman said:
I took a flight with that group once when I was 17. It's a very cool program. Took off from a grass strip in a small plane, and I got to take the controls briefly while we were up.

That's great! Out of curiousity, what do you do now, it it aviation related in any way? If so, was the early exposure to aviation via the Young Eagles program a factor?

I have met SO many aviation professionals that do say that were made aware of aviation as a career field due to this program.

Thanks for your comment, bohman!

bohman

dgates80 said:
That's great! Out of curiousity, what do you do now, it it aviation related in any way? If so, was the early exposure to aviation via the Young Eagles program a factor?

I have met SO many aviation professionals that do say that were made aware of aviation as a career field due to this program.

Thanks for your comment, bohman!

I work a few hundred yards from a runway, but sadly I don't do any work that puts me in a plane. So I guess they didn't get me hooked. But I think it's a great program, even if a kid doesn't wind up in aviation. It broadens your horizons to experience flight in a different way than a coach seat in an airliner. And I can see how many people will want to stick with aviation after one of these flights.

Do you have hours that this will be done? I am a Cub Scout leader (and my sons did this last month, so cool!), I will be sure to mention it to parents....

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
dgates80 said:
Hi everyone,
The local EAA Chapter 478 is hosting a Young Eagles Rally on Oct. 20th at St. Mary's Airport.

What's Young Eagles? It's an opportunity for kids ages 8 to 17 to fly with a volunteer EAA member pilot and airplane as an introduction to the exciting world of aviation. These are intended as short local flights and are educational in theme. It also happens to be a TON of fun -- and I don't know who gets the bigger kick, the pilots working with the kids or the Young Eagles!

The cost? It's free! Our chapter member pilots offer their time, skills, and airplanes to do this for the kids.

For more information on the Young Eagles program see the Young Eagles website at www.youngeagles.org

So, just come on by the St. Mary's Airport terminal building Saturday, Oct. 20th from 8 am until 1pm, we hope to see you and your kids there!

Do the parents ride along or just the child?

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
sanchezf said:
Do the parents ride along or just the child?

Usually just the child. My boy loved it especially when the guy did some loops, a barrel roll, and a low level HP fly by. After that I had to go buy the kid a leather jacket.

:razz:

bohman

High EGT said:
Usually just the child. My boy loved it especially when the guy did some loops, a barrel roll, and a low level HP fly by. After that I had to go buy the kid a leather jacket.

Shoot, I need to be 17 again. I didn't get any of that stuff. I wasn't in a high-performance plane.

ETA: :whoosh: You got me.

Last edited:

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
High EGT said:

Wow that sounds like fun...

Thanks

dgates80

Land of the lost
Aerobatics? Not so much!

High EGT said:

But seriously folks...... we don't do that at all on Young Eagle flights.

I have given about 250 Young Eagle flights myself, and believe me, in the interest of keeping the interior of my airplane, ummmm, shall we say clean? we absolutely do NOT perform any sort of aerobatics. Not to mention that this would be not authorized in the types of airplanes usually used for these flights -- the FAA would highly diappprove!

I have flown sport aerobatics though and in the right airplane and with approprite instruction it is a absolute hoot! :yahoo: Done right it is very safe as well.

The event is 8am until 1pm.

I have upon occasion taken the parent along with the child, but I do not encourage this.

I try to also discourage more than one kid per airplane to try and offer a one-on-one experience. In particular I avoid siblings or "BFF's" as this trends towards being a social situation rather than an educational one. Also, this means somebody has to sit in the back!

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
dgates80 said:
But seriously folks...... we don't do that at all on Young Eagle flights.

I have given about 250 Young Eagle flights myself, and believe me, in the interest of keeping the interior of my airplane, ummmm, shall we say clean? we absolutely do NOT perform any sort of aerobatics. Not to mention that this would be not authorized in the types of airplanes usually used for these flights -- the FAA would highly diappprove!

I have flown sport aerobatics though and in the right airplane and with approprite instruction it is a absolute hoot! :yahoo: Done right it is very safe as well.

The event is 8am until 1pm.

I have upon occasion taken the parent along with the child, but I do not encourage this.

I try to also discourage more than one kid per airplane to try and offer a one-on-one experience. In particular I avoid siblings or "BFF's" as this trends towards being a social situation rather than an educational one. Also, this means somebody has to sit in the back!

:yeahthat:

AA996

We brought our two kids to last month's YE day at St. Marys. They're still talking about it! We had to frame the certificates and everything. I must admit, I was jealous of the kids as there were some really cool machines to choose to fly in, a pristine antique Aircoupe, a beautiful classic Tri-Pacer, a sleek Mooney, and a hot-rod homebuilt RV-4. For an airplane geek like me it was nirvana just looking at the planes. The EAA has a winner in the Young Eagles program, I hope you guys have a great weather and a good turnout this time. And thanks for donating your time and your airplanes for such a good cause.

TexasSunflower

Support Our Troops!
dgates80 said:
Hi everyone,

WOOOHOOO! My son's 9th birthday is the next day! That would make an awesome birthday present!! I can't wait to see his reaction when we take him!! :banana:

Geek

Dukesdad said:
Do we need to contact anyone ahead of time or just show up?

Just show up. We loved it. What a classy bunch of gentlemen. I wonder if my boy is allowed to go again?

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
I just wanted to bump this thread to make sure folks interested don't miss this opportunity.

kalmd

Does the parent of the child have to be present? I was thinking of bringing my son and his friend, but then thought they probably need parental permission and I couldn't do that for the friend.

dgates80

Land of the lost
kalmd said:
Does the parent of the child have to be present? I was thinking of bringing my son and his friend, but then thought they probably need parental permission and I couldn't do that for the friend.

Generally, yes, the parent needs to be present. I will check and see if a released form presigned by the parent and brought with them would be OK.

I will get back to you on this one....

dgates80

Land of the lost
Dukesdad said:
Do we need to contact anyone ahead of time or just show up?

Just show up! Our contingincy plan if we get overwhelmed with responses is to take contact information and set up flights either on a one-on-one basis with our volunteer pilots or at a future Yong Eagles event. Young Eagle flights do not *have* to happen at organized rallies, though it's best that way as we get all set up to make out first flight certificates, have ground crews (Thanks, Civil Air Patrol Cadets!) etc. St. Mary's County is kind in letting us use the airport terminal building space.

I also have a lot of cool airplane instrument panel posters that we also give away -- donated by Sporty's Pilot Shop in Ohio, by the way, on a national basis: They easily do runs of these 10,000 at a time.

This is all done by VOLUNTEER pilots with their planes, gas, and time. These are private aircraft that cost about $100 per hour to operate counting gas, maintainence, and insurance, (some more than that!) not to mention the time. I gotta hand it to these guys, they're great!

So, just come on down!