Democrat vs. Republican

Makavide

Not too talkative
Possible repost -

A teenage girl was about to finish her first year of college. She considered herself to be a very liberal Democrat, but her father was a rather staunch Republican. One day she was challenging her father on his beliefs and his opposition to taxes and welfare programs. He stopped her and asked her how she was doing in school.

She answered that she had a 4.0 GPA but it was really tough. She had to study all the time, never had time to go out and party. She didn't have time for a boyfriend and didn't really have many college friends because of spending all her time studying.

He then asked, "How is your friend Mary." She replied that Mary was barely getting by. She had a 2.0 GPA, never studied, but was very popular on campus and she went to all the parties all the time. She often didn't show up for classes because she was hung over.

Dad then asked his daughter why she didn't go to the Dean's office and ask why she couldn't take 1.0 off her 4.0 and give it to her friend who only had a 2.0. That way they would both have a 3.0 GPA.

The daughter angrily fired back, "That wouldn't be fair, I worked really hard for mine and Mary has done nothing."

The father slowly smiled and said, "Welcome to the Republican Party."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Good analogy, Make :cheers: We did something similar with our daughter in trying to explain the welfare system. I said, "What if you went to the ice cream place with your friend and you had money but she didn't?" Em sez, "I'd buy her an ice cream or share with her." I said, "What if Daddy and I made you buy her an ice cream or forced you to share with her?" She sez, "I wouldn't like it and I'd be mad."

B

Bruzilla

Don't forget the other side of that analogy. When your daughter sacrifices for her friend, and shares her ice cream, her friend feels grateful and thankful for your daughter's actions. If you force her to do it, and you start forcing her on a regular basis, that same feeling of gratitude becomes one of expected benefit and soon she thinks she's entitled to the ice cream since it's always been given to her in the past. And, since it is you, the parents, who are forcing your daughter to provide the ice cream, the feeling of gratitude shifts over to you.

It's the same deal with recipients of entitlement spending. The Government is the entity they are thankful to because The Government is viewed as the source of the benefit. They don't see that the real source is the working people putting up the money.

demsformd

Ah, yes, let us get rid of all welfare please. I don't know about you guys but I want more homeless and destitute people!!

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by demsformd
Ah, yes, let us get rid of all welfare please. I don't know about you guys but I want more homeless and destitute people!!

I say we put all the homeless is some small section of the country, then drop a bomb on them. The ones that survive, we'll give them free food. Hey, worked great in Iraq.

demsformd

Originally posted by SmallTown
I say we put all the homeless is some small section of the country, then drop a bomb on them. The ones that survive, we'll give them free food. Hey, worked great in Iraq.

Here, here. And then with criminals...forget giving them fair trials with due process. Just have a mob trial in which all the spectators choose guilt or innocence and then we go out in the town square and shoot 'em. How does that sound?

Pete

Repete
Here, here. And then with criminals...forget giving them fair trials with due process. Just have a mob trial in which all the spectators choose guilt or innocence and then we go out in the town square and shoot 'em. How does that sound?

All this from a GPA annalogy? Hmmmmm do you have a deeper issue?:biggrin:

demsformd

Originally posted by dpete2q
All this from a GPA annalogy? Hmmmmm do you have a deeper issue?:biggrin:

Yes I do. Whenever there is an alleged criminal, people on this board jump to conclusions without understanding the evidence and say kill him. I think that that shows a lack of deep thought and deliberation on the matter.

Pete

Repete
Yes I do. Whenever there is an alleged criminal, people on this board jump to conclusions without understanding the evidence and say kill him. I think that that shows a lack of deep thought and deliberation on the matter.

I didn't see anything about alleged criminal, just GPA and Ice Cream and of course the typical response from the Ryken student.