Housing Assistance Questions

somdchica

Hi, Im not sure if I am putting this in the right forum but was wondering if anyone in somd has had problems with the housing assistance around here. I am currently being given the round around it seems like and would like to know if anyone else has had the same problem. Im trying to get as much information on this as possible and please feel free to e-mail as this is very important to my situation at the present moment. BTW I am in St. Mary's County if anyone can relate to this area.

somdchica

No, not like welfare but section 8 vouchers (aka HUD). I am getting the complete run around with this program that I feel like I am losing my mind. I would like to be able to do something about it and help future people in my situation. And I will tell you a little about it. I applied for section 8 and had to wait a little over 6 months to be accepted, thereafter I had to attend a 2 hour briefing to recieve the voucher. The voucher lasts for 60 days and within that time frame you need to find a landlord willing to accept. Im sure you all know there is about a 3 month to a year waiting list in most cases here. Thankfully, I finally found a place and rushed in to get it inspected, which is a requirement. Well it took 2 weeks for them to inspect it and I had been told how much my portion was going to be out of my pocket for the rent. It was higher than what I am paying now living with roomates. I asked why and she included my overtime pay and excluded my daycare costs. Meanwhile I have taken so much time off work for this and gas milage as well. Im not sure if this is making any sense but it goes further than that and I am extremly frustrated with this system. I am basically wanting peoples opinions or stories to tell me if they have had similar problems. Sorry for wasting space if your not interested in reading this.

SxyPrincess

I don't have any first-hand experience with Section 8 vouchers, or housing assitance. My guess is that because the demand is so high, HUD doesn't want to waste their time with one person. If you can't locate housing within the specificed time given, they will pass the opportunity to someone else. :shrug:

Best of luck and I hope everything works out for you. :cheers:

http

I'm confused. Is your 6 month period over? Did you get accepted? Have you looked for Section 8 housing? Or are you just trying to find a landlord willing to accept Section 8 vouchers? I can't imagine St. Mary's would run out of Section 8 housing...

http

I just called SMC HUD and they don't have a list themselves of properties. I think that's what you need to find, correct? Its my understanding that every county and municipal, I suppose, must always support a proportionate number or Section 8 or affordable housing units to the needing population to get yearly State grants. Man, if you were in Calvert County, you'd be gold, we've even got waterfront affordable housing! But that's another story, I bet you I can find listings for you.

somdchica

Im sorry to make this confusing but i dont have the exact words to put it. I did get accepted, my 60 days are almost over and I was lucky enough to find a place. Not the best of place but a starting point is what I would like to call it. The thing is, is I found this place a little over 2 weeks ago and they are just now inspecting it today. Which makes me wait long and the landlord has to wait as well. So here I am being given these deadlines and the housing athorities are able to take their time with it. They also havent stuck with the same story they started out with. I get different answers from different people and there is definent bad communication going all around. My mom even called the housing department and they gave her some of my information which I found to be rude since they didnt know who they were talking to in the first place. Gee I feel like I am going on and on here. I just want to be able to talk to someone that is in the same situation as I am. I would also like to point out that when they figure up the numbers to how much they are going to pay and how much I will pay, the even included my overtime and could care less about the regular bills I already have. I didnt realize how hard this was until I was put in the situation of being a single mom and not making enough money due to the fact my husband didnt feel like being married anymore. I never thought it would be easy but was lead to believe that these programs were put into place to help people.

somdchica

Thank you for your inquiry, but I have a pamplet about 10 pages long I estimate of apartment listed in the area, however I have to call all those places to see who accepts section 8. Unfortunately I found about 2 or 3 good place that do accept it. HUD does not keep track of who accepts it and who doesnt, your left with the work and time take off because of it. However, thank you for your inquiry.

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
Originally posted by somdchica
[ The thing is, is I found this place a little over 2 weeks ago and they are just now inspecting it today. Which makes me wait long and the landlord has to wait as well. So here I am being given these deadlines and the housing athorities are able to take their time with it. They also havent stuck with the same story they started out with. I get different answers from different people and there is definent bad communication going all around. My mom even called the housing department and they gave her some of my information which I found to be rude since they didnt know who they were talking to in the first place. Gee I feel like I am going on and on here. I just want to be able to talk to someone that is in the same situation as I am. I would also like to point out that when they figure up the numbers to how much they are going to pay and how much I will pay, the even included my overtime and could care less about the regular bills I already have. I didnt realize how hard this was until I was put in the situation of being a single mom and not making enough money due to the fact my husband didnt feel like being married anymore. I never thought it would be easy but was lead to believe that these programs were put into place to help people. [/B]

When we left NC we thought about renting our house out through Section 8. I went to a few information meetings to find out how it works. They explained in great detail that they are over worked and short staffed with inspectors and to prepare for a wait once you find the tenant to the time the inspector comes. My bet is this landlord is aware that there would be a waiting period and should therefore understand it is not your fault. As to the income and debt information, I suggest you call the Federal office or visit their website for more detailed information on what is or is not included in making the determination of what you will pay. Sometimes local offices have alot of turn over in personnel and not everyone knows all the regulations yet. Like you said it is a starting point and you can look elsewhere once you lease is up. Also, I suggest if you're not already getting it that you pursue child support.

Good Luck!

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by http
I can't imagine St. Mary's would run out of Section 8 housing...

St. Mary's is in the middle of a housing crisis. There is very little housing of any sort, much less section 8. I live in an development that isn't even finished and a neighbor of ours bought their house for $162K and sold it 6-8 months later for $175K and they have a horrible lot.

St. M's has a problem getting teachers b/c (besides the contract disputes) there isn't much housing in the area to encourage people to move here. One teacher I knew, lived in someone elses' basement with his wife and child b/c there was no where else.

somdchica, you may also want to look into child care vouchers, available through Social Services. If you qualify for Sec 8, you MAY qualify for that too. It may not be much but it'll help.