So, What's Happening?

Ender

Undercover Geek
It's been a while since I came to this forum, as I've moved back to England. Although, I have to admit being back in St.Mary's County was ...interesting. There has been a large number of changes that I definitely did not expect. How about I give an overview as to what I remembered and what's changed? (just a few things to kick the thread into gear)

Friendly's - There used to be a Friendly's in front of the Target in Lexington Park, right next to the Chik-Fil-A. It's no longer there.

Best Buy/Whole Area Around it - This has all been put there. The only thing that was there when I left St.Mary's (originally) was a Lowe's and plans to put in a movie theater there.

Some new businesses in Leonardtown 'Square' - I fell in love with Oga's - quite possibly the best Singaporean Noodles I've ever had in my life. I find myself missing them greatly when I get my 'chinese craving'. The Brewing Grounds was much appreciated, as I'm a computer geek but none of those of whom I was staying with had access to 'proper' internet [ie: over 56k dial up].

Bert's is still alive and kicking: That place is the heart of St.Mary's, at least to me. They've been there since I was a young, young child and I still remember going there on Fridays or Sundays with my family to grab a burger or pizza. I didn't get a chance to eat there, and I really regret not going there for a bite.

Numerous Changes: The magnitude of Wawa's that's been thrown up out of nowhere. The destruction of the once-beloved Halfway House (to replace it with a Wawa) was something that devestated me. My grandparents used to take me there from time to time as a boy to grab their all-you-can-eat breakfast buffet...I do miss their french toast.

So what are some of the things you miss about 'old' St.Mary's County, if anything? I miss the old way of getting to Hughsville - now it's turned into a death trap to navigate to some of the places I remembered. The old Quik Shop that was there was very sentimental to me, as it was where my Mom worked from a cashier to the supervisor of most of the Quik Shop chain (this was back in the mid-90's - she passed away in 1997). Interesting to see a new Harley Davidson shop right along the stretch though.

I've seen how my old high school (LHS) has changed, as well as my once-loved Technical Centre. It's interesting to see that St.Mary's is pushing itself forward; but at what cost to the actual rural area? I know I'm rambling....but at the end of the day -

What do you miss about old St.Mary's County?
How do you feel about the massive changes that have occurred throughout the years?

And lastly: I did fall in love with Linda's Cafe in Leonardtown Square while I was there. Probably one of the best breakfasts I had while staying around in that area!

Ciao le ve.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Friendly's - There used to be a Friendly's in front of the Target in Lexington Park, right next to the Chik-Fil-A. It's no longer there.

Maybe my brain isn't working right this morning but I can't recall that being there???

Bonehead

Anyone remember the Hub ? How about the two theaters that were here one was where the new post office is now and the other was in a big quonset hut type building. How about when Evan's Seafood was worth eating at ? How about the elephants trunk ? So much has been bulldozer for bullshiat.

verucasalt

Does anyone remember way back when there was a seafood resturant in LP city iin the square (where BWB is)? Does anyne remeber the name of it?

Ender

Undercover Geek
Yeah, I used to love Friendy's - there was one near the furniture shop (Raley's?) in Waldorf, but I think it got closed down. I still remember when "Brewing Grounds" used to be an old Laundromat with a Ms.Pac-Man machine was there. I used to go to Capt.Leonard's because my aunt used to work there - but, haven't been there really in about seven or eight years.

I still remember the Mckay building in Leonardtown wasn't there and the italian restaraunt near it used to be a Perkins. Perkins used to be where almost everyone went, until they realized that there were some really creepy things going on when you least expected (like a sausage I had that ended up tasting like washing-up liquid [dishwashing liquid]).

It's quite interesting that Pizza Hotline was still there. I used to love that place back in the day (great subs, awesome pizza). The shock was mainly the fact that Four Star Pizza has an all-you-can-eat buffet in Leonardtown. It used to just be a little dinky shop near the printing shop. =)

I could go on, just curious as to how things were.

ImnoMensa

What do I miss about St. Mary's County? I miss the hundreds of oyster boats that used to go out every fall, back when there were some oysters to catch. The buy boats who used to come and buy those oyster on the water ,and the way the boats raced to be first in line. That was something to see.. The waterman is now a dying breed, and the buy boats are gone.

I miss the local bars and grocery stores which have all but dissappeared. Places where friends met and spoke of local issues.

I miss the old church festivals. I miss the old gravel country roads when you drove thru a Ford instead of over a bridge.

I miss when you called the police and Sherriff Miedzienski showed up with his wife in his 57 Ford and took care of the problem.

When you could go to the local grocers and drop a dime in the slot machine.

When there was a funeral everyone pulled over and waited till it passed by.

Too many things to mention. Certainly going back wahy before there was a Friendly's in Lexington Park.

Do I remember the Hub? Yes, and the Singer Sewing store behind it. I remember the two Theaters in Leonardtown, and bowling on the 2nd, floor of Dukes. I remember Fenwick Ford, and when Bell's sold International Tractors at the now closed used car lot. I remember the John Deere dealership on the back street of Leonardtown. When Charlotte Hall was a military School and Leonard Hall sent boys to march in Inaugural Parades. I remember when new cars came out and the dealers hid them up until the unveiling. I remember the boat races on Sunday when they raced anything that would float.

How do I feel about the new changes to St. Mary's? Some I like , some I dont like,but there is no going back. Thats for sure.

Ender said:
Bert's is still alive and kicking: That place is the heart of St.Mary's, at least to me. They've been there since I was a young, young child and I still remember going there on Fridays or Sundays with my family to grab a burger or pizza. I didn't get a chance to eat there, and I really regret not going there for a bite.

I miss Bert actually owning Bert's. Someone else owns it now, but they kept the name. It's not the same. :ohwell:

MLGTS08

live.LAUGH.love
Speedy70 said:
I miss Bert actually owning Bert's. Someone else owns it now, but they kept the name. It's not the same. :ohwell:
:yeahthat: I used to work there people would come in all the time asking for Bert... for awhile his daughter was a manager there she was great! When she left the place started to slowly go downhill. As for the new owners :boo: not pleasent to work for.

I forgot to mention that I miss the Farmer's market actually being a Farmer's market (aka Amish market). Now it's mostly junk for sale.

keekee

verucasalt said:
Does anyone remember way back when there was a seafood resturant in LP city iin the square (where BWB is)? Does anyne remeber the name of it?

Bay Cargo? That wasn't all that long ago...

I used to work at the Ben Franklin in Leonardtown! :banana:

...and used to hang out in the arcade (basement) at Lucianos... :lmao:

kalmd

Wow, I remember when Korner Karryout used to be the Shell Station. And the place next door (Woodburns I think it is now) used to be Stones Carryout. We always got ice cream there. And Capt Leonards used to be a little store (can't remember the name anymore) run by Marvin and Tilly Wood. We always walked there and got penny candy. And the Wonder bread store/Stone's butcher used to be Johnny Wood's grocery store.

Tikibar

Wayne from Maine
LP City really has changed alot. I remember hanging out at the Tropics (the old Night Life behind it). That was one of the best bars ever.

And what about Pat's bar, and the Rio?

I had some great times back when I was stationed at Pax. What ever happened to Ted Banis insurance, is Ted still around?

How about the movie theater near where Pat's bar used to be?

I used to love tuesday night all you can eat pizza at bambinos.

Could go no forever........duke

Ender

Undercover Geek
Yeah, I remember dear old Duke's. I used to get those awesomely pro milkshakes they had back when I was a toddler [still remember the deliciousness!]. I remember Korner Karryout; it was a pretty nice place to grab a soda or two when you're driving down the road in preparation to a long-winded drive. I still remember this great pizza/italian place that used to be in Leonardtown Square. It was run by a small family and they eventually moved away and that sub/sandwich shop ended up taking over (can't, for the life of me, remember the name of it). They probably had the best pizza in St.Mary's County while in business.

I'm not sure about all of the changes. St.Mary's County always had a unique feel about it. Sure, it was 'once' away from the city trend and had its close-knitted community. Only problem with such a community is that everyone knows everyone and there's too much drama with that. But now it seems that Lexington Park has become a mini-city in and of itself. There's a level of weirdness about St.Mary's now, like it's not like anything how it used to be. The only thing that remains are the crazy people who think you should know them because of their last name(s).