Red light cameras

observer

I used to be against red light cameras because of the big brother aspect. But now I have seen too many selfish idiots running lights that something has to be done. I am willing to be photographed myself if by chance I run a light, but knowing that all these idiots are getting their just due makes it worth it.

:tantrum

B

Bronwyn

I used to be against red light cameras because of the big brother aspect. But now I have seen too many selfish idiots running lights that something has to be done. I am willing to be photographed myself if by chance I run a light, but knowing that all these idiots are getting their just due makes it worth it.

I doubt that we will get red light cameras in SOMD any time in the next decade.

R

RadioPatrol

I saw something recently about the 20k or was it 40k :faint: cameras in the London area, and the police still cannot keep crime down ...............

:snacks:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's good...

...because we're only going to see more and more cameras. Everywhere.

smcop

They are already here in Charles County. One just North of Hughesville, and the other on 301/5.

ImnoMensa

Never heard of a red light. We dont have those here in the 7th.

I wouldnt mind seeing a IED for people who cant take their turn at the 4 way stop in Clements though. The new mini circle in Chaptico is fine for cars but hell on Tractor-Trailers. Maybe if it had been built a little bigger.

awpitt

Main Streeter
There's already one just north of Waldorf at the Wawa intersection. They should put more up. If folks don't want there picture taken, don't run red lights.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I see cameras on lights at several stop lights in PF, I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for running them though so I don't know what the deal is with them. Also the light at Cove Point Rd. has them.

B

Bronwyn

I see cameras on lights at several stop lights in PF, I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for running them though so I don't know what the deal is with them. Also the light at Cove Point Rd. has them.

Those aren't red light cameras.

awpitt

Main Streeter
You might be confusing traffic sensors with cameras. The sensors are those small looking things that are attached to the top of the stop lights and point to the oncoming traffic. These are what tell the traffic light system that there are cars waiting. Actual red light cameras are mounted in the median and point to traffic from the rear.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
You might be confusing traffic sensors with cameras. The sensors are those small looking things that are attached to the top of the stop lights and point to the oncoming traffic. These are what tell the traffic light system that there are cars waiting. Actual red light cameras are mounted in the median and point to traffic from the rear.

O ok, those things are sensors? Huh, look just like a camera to me.

MMDad

Lem Putt
O ok, those things are sensors? Huh, look just like a camera to me.
There are traffic cameras that allow SHA to monitor traffic. Theoretically, they can adjust the timing of signals to compensate for traffic problems.

If you are talking about the white cameras, about 18" long on top of the signals, that is what they are.

In St. Mary's they also have the sensors for emergency vehicles. They are black with two sensors, one on top of the other. Probably 6" tall.

Most traffic light sensors around here are inductive loops buried in the pavement.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
There are traffic cameras that allow SHA to monitor traffic. Theoretically, they can adjust the timing of signals to compensate for traffic problems.

If you are talking about the white cameras, about 18" long on top of the signals, that is what they are.

In St. Mary's they also have the sensors for emergency vehicles. They are black with two sensors, one on top of the other. Probably 6" tall.

Most traffic light sensors around here are inductive loops buried in the pavement.

That is what I thought. The ones I am talking about look just like cameras and they are at lights that have the sensors in imbedded in the road.

LexiGirl75

100% Goapele Head!

Oh... so no wonder I haven't been getting any tickets and I thought they were yellow light cameras meaning if you cross the yellow light in a speed where you could've stopped for the red light then that's a violation. I bet all the commuters probably wondered why I always broke like a banshee out of hell when the light changed. It was because of those SENSORS. :doh:

Sorry all who I've affected. :flowers:

OldHillcrestGuy

Those aren't camera's they are a device for ambulances and fire trucks to control the light when approaching with lights and sirens, makes the light turn green for the approaching vehicle. Controllled by device inside the appartus. For the life of me Im having a brain cramp can't think of what they are called.:doh:
Not all fire companies have them.

SamSpade

Well I know there are a couple in Waldorf, because we've been issued tickets for red light running there, and they've sent pics of the car to prove it.

Not sure where they were, but I think one was at the corner of Mattawoman Beantown and Rte 5, and the other I think was at the Bryantown Mall.

ohstate

They are already here in Charles County. One just North of Hughesville, and the other on 301/5.

My husband got zapped by this camera. He was behind a big bus and couldn't see the light change. He just followed the bus through the light assuming it was green, since the bus was booking.

In the photo, you can see that the guy in the lane next to him stopped and was almost rear ended by another bus. It is an inch from the guy's bumper.

Now he knows not to follow the buses/trucks too closely through there. Although we almost never take that road. We're usually going down Rte. 4, but he was headed to St. Mary's for the RCS on a Friday after work. Live and learn :)

OldHillcrestGuy

Well I know there are a couple in Waldorf, because we've been issued tickets for red light running there, and they've sent pics of the car to prove it.

Not sure where they were, but I think one was at the corner of Mattawoman Beantown and Rte 5, and the other I think was at the Bryantown Mall.

They are all around the county mostly in Waldorf. The light in Bryantown has them so does the Mattawomen Beantown and 5 and most of the lights on 301 through Waldorf, Acton, Berry and Smallwood to name a few.