A-1 Driving Academy

keekee

Don't go there.

I have said good things about A-1 in the past, and now I feel the need to set the record straight.

Son #1 took Driver's Ed there a couple of years ago, and they were great.

But everything changed with Son #2, who took Driver's Ed there recently.

First, we showed up for the class on the first night, and the place was locked up. We waited outside for 20 min until someone from an adjoining office came out to tell us that the entire class had been cancelled and would be rescheduled for the following month.

Ok, maybe something happened, I gave them another chance... We signed up for the following month.

Son #2 completed the classroom portion over a month ago, and has yet to hear from them to schedule his "behind the wheel" time... although I have already paid for it! Neither of the phone numbers listed in the phone book seem to work. It rings for a while, then gives a squeeling sound like you reached a fax machine, then goes to a dial tone.

:war:

sockgirl77

They used to schedule the behind the wheel time while the kid was still in class. They used to pick them up from school and they'd drive until it was time for driving class to start.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

They used to schedule the behind the wheel time while the kid was still in class. They used to pick them up from school and they'd drive until it was time for driving class to start.

Not anymore i guess. I took my driver's ed at CSM which was great, best place out there i'm told (and i've venture to agree), but i've known people with similar A-1 experiences. They just wait months sometimes (after finishing the classroom portion) before you finally get scheduled to get behind-the-wheel training.

keekee

Yep, that's how it used to be. They were great.
I don't know what happened, but things have gone downhill...

DJaxx

I went there years ago and it sucked!!! The first time I was behind the wheel with the instuctor, we drove to her house. She made me wait an hour while she showered!!! I felt uncomfortable as her husband was also there and kept yelling at her about me being there. Weird....

MLGTS08

live.LAUGH.love
I went a few years back they were ok during class time but when it was time to drive we had a big problem... a month went by still no driving. My mom knew the owner so she gave him a call and I drove with him. Who knows how long I would have waited...

meme

The Smart Hooker
I went to A-1 (way back in the day.) That really sucks what they did to you. I wouldn't use them either now.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

I went there years ago and it sucked!!! The first time I was behind the wheel with the instuctor, we drove to her house. She made me wait an hour while she showered!!! I felt uncomfortable as her husband was also there and kept yelling at her about me being there. Weird....

betcha he'd have been even madder if you'd gotten that shower with her... :lmao:

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
I went to A-1 several years ago. We scheduled drive time while we were in the class and didn't have a problem following through. The thing that struck me as off was that the instructor kept showing us how to steer with our knees...because you had to have your hands free to dip your chicken nuggets.

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
Well I see you got your 300$ worth of Drivers ED. But dont complain to loudly since your dealing with a MD policy supported by the majority. I guess...

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
You know, the whole premise of paying for a driving school is just unimaginable to me.

I had a whole semester of driver's ed in high school. It was required after you turned 15. The only way out of it was to get a parent's / doctor's note saying you were never going to drive due to religious or medical reasons. So, the first part of the semester was watching films, taking written tests, crawling around cars to locate "important things". Then the last half was driving, parking lots, town. highways, etc. And if you didn't pass your class, you had to repeat it until you did. Then you would get a certificate with carbon copies that you had to take to the DMV to get your learner's permit, then license. If you didn't have your certificate, you didn't even get to fill out the paperwork for your learner's permit.

So, if a "poor" southern state can afford to make this kind of education available, why can't Maryland? :confused:

keekee

Well I see you got your 300$ worth of Drivers ED. But dont complain to loudly since your dealing with a MD policy supported by the majority. I guess...

I didn't mind paying the $300. But that's supposed to include 6 hours behind the wheel...

I guess... I hope... we will hear from them eventually. But even a call saying, "Hey we're backed up, we'll get back to you by such&such date", would have been nice. And it would be nice if their phone worked.

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
I didn't mind paying the $300. But that's supposed to include 6 hours behind the wheel...

I guess... I hope... we will hear from them eventually. But even a call saying, "Hey we're backed up, we'll get back to you by such&such date", would have been nice. And it would be nice if their phone worked.

Dont spread this around but I and my wife got our DE while in HS school for free. And even got a school credit...

keekee

Dont spread this around but I and my wife got our DE while in HS school for free. And even got a school credit...

Me too... Mr. Simmons... but times do change you know...
At LHS there was also a smoking area where the daycare is now.
Hope the kiddies don't find any ancient cigarette butts. :cool:

BernieP

Resident PIA
:lmao: me too, it was part of our PE along with health etc. We had PE five days a week all four years but that was a long time ago.

Back to the driving schools. I've heard similiar complaints about Drive Safe (and worse). We used CSM and it was as you would expect; run professionally sort of like a school. I would highly recommend them (as people did for us).

Woodyspda

I went to A-1 several years ago. We scheduled drive time while we were in the class and didn't have a problem following through. The thing that struck me as off was that the instructor kept showing us how to steer with our knees...because you had to have your hands free to dip your chicken nuggets.

Ahhhh this explains why my premiums are double here compared to my last residence.

MDChick

:lmao: me too, it was part of our PE along with health etc. We had PE five days a week all four years but that was a long time ago.

Back to the driving schools. I've heard similiar complaints about Drive Safe (and worse). We used CSM and it was as you would expect; run professionally sort of like a school. I would highly recommend them (as people did for us).

Drive Safe. HA! I saw a Drive Safe car (instructor alone) doing at least 80 while cutting in and out of traffic on rt. 4 last week...