Need info on Sueing

On_the_Water

I would like to here from anyone who has, has been, knows of, or known someone who has been sued for slandering or knows what you need to sue someone for it. So anyone who knows a lawyer or is one please help me out as I am expirencing some difficulty with a former employer. Thank you to anyone who can help out.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The first thing a lawyer will ask is, what damages have you incurred? Most lawyers won't touch what the average Joe considers "slander" - "Somebody posted mean stuff about me on a chat room!"

So first figure out how you have been harmed, and what that would be worth in monetary value. Then figure out if it's enough that a lawyer would roll himself out of bed for it.

cmfam7

I would like to here from anyone who has, has been, knows of, or known someone who has been sued for slandering or knows what you need to sue someone for it. So anyone who knows a lawyer or is one please help me out as I am expirencing some difficulty with a former employer. Thank you to anyone who can help out.
I have used Sam Baldwin for a few things he is very good at what he does and will tell you upfront if he can help or not. Not sure if he has done anything with slander or not but he should be able to help. He is in Lexington Park if you need the number let me know.

K

kris31280

The first thing a lawyer will ask is, what damages have you incurred? Most lawyers won't touch what the average Joe considers "slander" - "Somebody posted mean stuff about me on a chat room!"

So first figure out how you have been harmed, and what that would be worth in monetary value. Then figure out if it's enough that a lawyer would roll himself out of bed for it.
Let's say the former employer is damaging the reputation of someone in a particular field they intend to open a business in. Would that be something that would be worth a lawyer rolling out of bed for?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Let's say the former employer is damaging the reputation of someone in a particular field they intend to open a business in. Would that be something that would be worth a lawyer rolling out of bed for?

If the employee was an idiot who didn't know what the hell they were doing, that would be a matter of opinion and not slander.

I get businesses all the time wanting to sic a lawyer on me because someone in the forums gave them a bad review and I wouldn't delete it. My response is always, "Go ahead."

JustTheFax

On the Right Side.
First thing to find out is, if it is true then the court will not award.

Second thing is if it is a lie, and someone has suffered a loss due to the lie than maybe the court will award.

M

Mousebaby

Here's a question...

If someone you know, just because you have done business in the past with them, starts telling you all kinds of stuff about the business owner they no longer work for. Would you call that business owner and tell her/him that this person is out there telling all your business to practical strangers and I thought you should know, or would you keep your mouth shut??? :popcorn:

On_the_Water

Ok the former employer is slandering on the no longer exsisting employee. The current employee is now laid off at their current job, due to the acusations that the previous employer(owner)has stated to the State of Maryland about them. This particular employer owner failed to mention that her herself was also once and employer of the particular employee who is now laid off at their current job. She made a statement to the state of MD who is under going investigation at the current employer office on the employee saying they hired them while they were not licensed by the state of MD, but only another state in their profession. Now the investigation could bring fines and charges to the employer and employee. But she herself also employed the employee knowing they were not licensed in their profession by the State of MD. And had been saying things to her clients as they use her services about the former employee.

Last edited:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Ok the former employer is slandering on the no longer exsisting employee. The current employee is now laid off at their current job, due to the acusations that the previous employer(owner)has stated to the State of Maryland about them. This particular employer owner failed to mention that her herself was also once and employer of the particular employee who is now laid off at her current job. She made a statement to the state of MD who is under going investigation at the current employer office on the employee saying they hired them while they were not licensed by the state of MD, but only another state in their profession. Now the investigation could bring fines and charges to the employer and employee. But she herself also employed the employee knowing they were not licensed in their profession by the State of MD.

Do you cut hair or do nails?

MMDad

Lem Putt
Ok the former employer is slandering on the no longer exsisting employee. The current employee is now laid off at their current job, due to the acusations that the previous employer(owner)has stated to the State of Maryland about them. This particular employer owner failed to mention that her herself was also once and employer of the particular employee who is now laid off at her current job. She made a statement to the state of MD who is under going investigation at the current employer office on the employee saying they hired them while they were not licensed by the state of MD, but only another state in their profession. Now the investigation could bring fines and charges to the employer and employee. But she herself also employed the employee knowing they were not licensed in their profession by the State of MD.

Doesn't sound like slander, but it is a twisted mess. Whistleblowing to the state isn't slander.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ok the former employer is slandering on the no longer exsisting employee. The current employee is now laid off at their current job, due to the acusations that the previous employer(owner)has stated to the State of Maryland about them. This particular employer owner failed to mention that her herself was also once and employer of the particular employee who is now laid off at their current job. She made a statement to the state of MD who is under going investigation at the current employer office on the employee saying they hired them while they were not licensed by the state of MD, but only another state in their profession. Now the investigation could bring fines and charges to the employer and employee. But she herself also employed the employee knowing they were not licensed in their profession by the State of MD. And had been saying things to her clients as they use her services about the former employee.

If it's true (that you were not licensed properly), then it's not slander.

However you can try and rat off the previous employer and get some revenge.

smcop

This would not constitute slander. For it to be slander it has to be a malicious lie and there has to be some way to show a loss. If a former employer is providing factual information about you, then there may be privacy rights violations but no slander.