How would you feel if...

Is it ok to quarter a deer in a parking lot of a grocery store?

• Ew, thats disgusting, take your deer cleaning elsewhere. Its not my business if it spoils or not.

Votes: 33 57.9%
  • Sure. The meat is better tasting and better for you than the stuff sold in that store anyhow.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I don't really care either way, its not like I have to look at the deer if I don't want to.

Votes: 12 21.1%

• Total voters

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Someone was cutting up a deer to put on ice in the parking lot of a grocery store?

I ask because my friend and I went up to Ocean city (well, we actually stayed just outside in Rehobeth, Delaware) to go Sika deer hunting on Assateague Island. He got one and he field dressed it, weighed it in, and then we headed up to Food Lion to get ice. It was going to be another 20 minute trip or so back to where we were staying and we didn't want the meat to spoil so we got the ice and he was working on quartering it up in the parking lot in order to get it in the coolers and on ice (it was darn hot on Monday...don't remember the temperature exactly though).

Apparently some customers had a problem with that and the manager walked over and asked us to take our business behind the building because we were turning customers away or something. We did as we were asked because that actually got us in the shade too. Then not five minutes later, DNR pulls up and checks to make sure everything was taken legally, which it was. All turns out fine there and my bud finishes up the deer and we head on our way.

I'm all for someone calling DNR about it because I hate seeing poachers anywhere and this was a situation where it was better to be safe than sorry and call DNR. I'm curious though, would anyone on here have a problem seeing a deer be cut up outside of a grocery store, or any store for that matter?

smoothmarine187

Someone was cutting up a deer to put on ice in the parking lot of a grocery store?

I ask because my friend and I went up to Ocean city (well, we actually stayed just outside in Rehobeth, Delaware) to go Sika deer hunting on Assateague Island. He got one and he field dressed it, weighed it in, and then we headed up to Food Lion to get ice. It was going to be another 20 minute trip or so back to where we were staying and we didn't want the meat to spoil so we got the ice and he was working on quartering it up in the parking lot in order to get it in the coolers and on ice (it was darn hot on Monday...don't remember the temperature exactly though).

Apparently some customers had a problem with that and the manager walked over and asked us to take our business behind the building because we were turning customers away or something. We did as we were asked because that actually got us in the shade too. Then not five minutes later, DNR pulls up and checks to make sure everything was taken legally, which it was. All turns out fine there and my bud finishes up the deer and we head on our way.

I'm all for someone calling DNR about it because I hate seeing poachers anywhere and this was a situation where it was better to be safe than sorry and call DNR. I'm curious though, would anyone on here have a problem seeing a deer be cut up outside of a grocery store, or any store for that matter?

I'm sure a mom with her 5 year old daughter that just watched bambi would love to see you tards hacking up a deer in the middle of a parking lot.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Evidently somebody does :lol:
Had one tied across the hood/fender of a '61 Chevy Impala and stopped at a Howard Johnson's on the way home. We parked right by the front door and got real good service. They fed us and had us out of there in record time :lol:

itsbob

I bowl overhand

I think I would have gone around the back of the building to begin with

It doesn't bother me so much, and if I saw it I'd feel like I was living where I should be living.. BUT not something I'd want my 2 year old to see.

Crow Bait

Everything sounds legit... seems like it turned out alright. It was nice of the store manager to offer the area behind the store for you to finish up. MD-NRP was just doing their job.

However, as a hunter I have to say that it is up to us hunters to consider that there are many Non-hunters watching us. We really should do our best to keep our practices out of the public eye, so that we don't create any more Anti's. I'm all for showing kids where real meat actually comes from, but a grocery store parking lot, probably isn't the best place.

Just remember - as a hunter - what you do can effect the rights of other hunters.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

yeah, we thought about it afterwards and figured it would have been smarter to go around back in the first place, but we didn't really think of that at the time lol. Live and learn i suppose.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
Why, yes, please dismember your prey in the parking lot. It will ensure the brainwashing of my vegetarian offspring sticks. :evil:

J/K although yeah, most people these days don't think about what meat is. I would rather have people eating mature animals that were hunted for food than factory farmed animals any day. At least you plan to eat what you hunt and don't just kill animals for trophies :barf:.

Nanny Pam

I know it wouldn't bother me at all. BUT if I had a kid with me, I wouldn't want the kid to see it.

You know.....the Bambi thing, and all ......

Chain729

CageKicker Extraordinaire
If you think carving up an animal is disguisting, you're not human- you're a vegan. Meat doesn't grow on trees in nice little packages.

Speaking of which, I would feel horrible if my little princess got nightmares watching daddy gruesomely hack up the apple and pear trees to get the fruit.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

By the way... congrats on a successful hunt!

thanks.

and vegmom

yeah, i don't ever kill something that isn't intended to be eaten or at least donated to an organization called "Hunt for the Hungry" where meat is donated to those less fortunate. I hate when people kill the animals just for fun. His dad's coworker killed a little tiny fawn just to do it and was going to dump it on the side of the road so we at least took it and got what meat there was to make some use of this unnecessary death.

Chain729

I know it wouldn't bother me at all. BUT if I had a kid with me, I wouldn't want the kid to see it.

You know.....the Bambi thing, and all ......

Guess it was mean for my uncle to tell my 5 or 6 year old cousin that that nice, juicy hamburger was Bambi, huh?

Floyd2004

-Void-
In a parking lot... I mean I really wouldnt care and I wouldnt call anyone about it but there is a time and place for everything.

I think there were guys moving a deer this morning near the entrance to Webster field. Im sure some were grossed out but I didnt think too much about it.

Chain729

ya think? :shrug:
I know if you told my grand-daughter that, she'd probably ask to see the guts!
:tomboy:

I didn't understand why the little baby was crying (I was like 12). As far as I'm concerned, "Bambi" is a talking steak. IMO, If you have a problem with that, you need to learn about the food chain and be welcomed to the human species :shrug:

Give your grand-daughter a hug for me. Unlike some people around here, she has a grasp for what being at the top of the evolutionary ladder means.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you think carving up an animal is disguisting, you're not human- you're a vegan.

I am a human, not a vegan, and I think carving up animals is disgusting. In a parking lot, no less. :lol: Should have gone around the back of the grocery to begin with.

Meat doesn't grow on trees in nice little packages.
Of course it doesn't grow on trees :rolleyes: It grows in MEAT COUNTERS in nice little packages.

Chain729

I am a human, not a vegan, and I think carving up animals is disgusting. In a parking lot, no less. :lol: Should have gone around the back of the grocery to begin with.

Of course it doesn't grow on trees :rolleyes: It grows in MEAT COUNTERS in nice little packages.

:lol: How to get the skin and fur off of steak should be taught by third grade.

MLGTS08

live.LAUGH.love
If I saw someone cutting one up in a grocery parking lot all hell would have broke loose. I think that is absolutely disgusting.