Commute to Montgomery County area

Seamaid

I'm considering taking a job in Wheaton, I live in north Calvert County. Anyone take this trip reguarly and if so, what route do you take. I was thinking of taking route 4 to 495, off on Georgia Ave, but I was thinking that there could be an easier way?

SamSpade

I'm considering taking a job in Wheaton, I live in north Calvert County. Anyone take this trip reguarly and if so, what route do you take. I was thinking of taking route 4 to 495, off on Georgia Ave, but I was thinking that there could be an easier way?

In the morning, your only alternative would be to take 301 north to 50 and get on the Beltway from there. And that wouldn't be better, since 50 is awful in the morning, and 301 has traffic lights and congestion. Worse, traffic nearly always backs up once you pass 95 North and doesn't get any better until 270.

Unless you're taking weird hours, I really wouldn't recommend the commute. I did the commute from Lusby to Suitland for years, and I'd love to get those hours of my life back, not to mention the gas expense.

OC LOVER

How far of a commute is it

How far is it from Calvert to Wheaton? Traffic around here is horrible to say the least. Good luck!

Seamaid

Thanks for the reply and information. They are offering a compressed work schedule. So Mon thru Thurs, 10 hours a day, to be split up however, probably, 7 to 5:30. I was thinking if I got there earlier and maybe went to the gym up there, I could leave my house at 5 am and beat some of the traffic. Is the traffic just as bad at 5 am?
I hear what you are saying, you lose alot of your "life" driving up and down the road!

In the morning, your only alternative would be to take 301 north to 50 and get on the Beltway from there. And that wouldn't be better, since 50 is awful in the morning, and 301 has traffic lights and congestion. Worse, traffic nearly always backs up once you pass 95 North and doesn't get any better until 270.

Unless you're taking weird hours, I really wouldn't recommend the commute. I did the commute from Lusby to Suitland for years, and I'd love to get those hours of my life back, not to mention the gas expense.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I mapquested it and it says 47 miles one way.

What time of day? I used to travel from Lanham to White Oak (which is closer than Wheaton) and it was a nightmare and that was almost 20 years ago. Distance isn't the issue as much as the traffic.

Commuting stinks. I'd try to avoid it at all costs of you can.

D

dems4me

I mapquested it and it says 47 miles one way.

Do you have 4-5 hours a day to waste driving? No kids to worry about or relationships? Plenty of money for vehicle maintenance and gas? Your free time will be slashed so that you have no time during the week other than sleeping, eating, commuting and working and then your weekends spent catching up on things you couldn't get done during the week. :yay:

Seamaid

Well, the earliest I could start work would be 7 am (I work for the State) but I was thinking I could join a gym close to the job and then go into to work, so I could leave at 5 am from Calvert. Your right the traffic is the issue, in your experience, was traffic at 5 am the same as it might be at say 6 or 7 am?

What time of day? I used to travel from Lanham to White Oak (which is closer than Wheaton) and it was a nightmare and that was almost 20 years ago. Distance isn't the issue as much as the traffic.

Commuting stinks. I'd try to avoid it at all costs of you can.

Seamaid

No children to consider with this commute, but I agree with you, the free time will be gone, except for each Friday, since it will be a compressed work schedule.

Do you have 4-5 hours a day to waste driving? No kids to worry about or relationships? Plenty of money for vehicle maintenance and gas? Your free time will be slashed so that you have no time during the week other than sleeping, eating, commuting and working and then your weekends spent catching up on things you couldn't get done during the week. :yay:

D

dems4me

No children to consider with this commute, but I agree with you, the free time will be gone, except for each Friday, since it will be a compressed work schedule.

Your hours look good, cut my time estimate in eariler post in half :lol: I've found in commuting - the time of your commute is key :lol:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Its not that bad. Up until a few weeks ago I was driving to ROCKVILLE and Gaithersburg everyday. 78 miles one way. I rarely hit traffic in the morning, I would be on the Beltway right at 5 or so. Coming home was tough at times,after the Beltway it was all backroads for me. Sometimes I would cut through silver spring then through Dc if the Beltway was screwed up.

D

dems4me

Thats what I was figuring, 2 hours to get home, that sucks :(

Just make sure you get a good stereo system or even a satellite radio, or get some books on cd or something. You will get used to it. :smile:

Seamaid

So the 5 am part really helps then. I was thinking as an alternative to the compresed work schedule, if I worked Mon thru Fri from 7 to 3pm. Still I could leave at 5 am go to the gym and get to work at 7 and leave at 3 pm. The coming home traffic would be better then than at 5 pm.

Your hours look good, cut my time estimate in eariler post in half :lol: I've found in commuting - the time of your commute is key :lol:

Magnum

Should be Huntin
On gym days I leave my house around 2 40. I go to a 24 hour gym in Clinton. I am on the Beltway right at 5 and its wide open. I can make it up to my exit on 270 in about 30 - 35 min.

Seamaid

Thats good to know about the gym and commute. I think if I tried to go to the gym after the commute home, I'd just keep driving!

On gym days I leave my house around 2 40. I go to a 24 hour gym in Clinton. I am on the Beltway right at 5 and its wide open. I can make it up to my exit on 270 in about 30 - 35 min.

kbeachcat123

Jack Russells RULE!

Did you say 2:40 AM? ? ? ? ? ? Holy smokes! what time do you go to bed??

Magnum

Should be Huntin
Thats good to know about the gym and commute. I think if I tried to go to the gym after the commute home, I'd just keep driving!
that's why I hit it in the morning, there is always some excuse to skip the gym in the evenings. Being that my gym is 24 hour it let's me get in at 3:20 or so, workout till 4:30, get ready for work then hit the Beltway.

Now I am driving to NE DC, its closer but takes just as long due too the speed cameras