Chickens or ducks

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Which make better pets? I don't want a lot of either so which works better in smaller groups, are easier to keep. I think ducks are cuter but I'd be afraid that living on the water they'd swim away? I only want like 2 or 3 and there's a chicken coop on the farm already.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Dare I ask...

Which make better pets? I don't want a lot of either so which works better in smaller groups, are easier to keep. I think ducks are cuter but I'd be afraid that living on the water they'd swim away? I only want like 2 or 3 and there's a chicken coop on the farm already.

...what the attraction of a chicken or a duck would be as a pet?

camily

Peace

If you get them as a baby and raise them there I believe they come back to the same spot every year if they do leave.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
...what the attraction of a chicken or a duck would be as a pet?

I'm not exactly sure what the attraction is other than they're small and I can keep them close to the house. I don't want goats or anything like that that I'd have to keep out in the barn and let out in a field.

Jameo

What?!
I'm not exactly sure what the attraction is other than they're small and I can keep them close to the house. I don't want goats or anything like that that I'd have to keep out in the barn and let out in a field.

Sinces when do you on a farm? :confused:

nevermind - I don't wanna know :lmao:

smoothmarine187

:faint: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
You're assuming I'm doing anything tomorrow which I'm not. I'm just trying to figure out what I want when I get there. There's nothing wrong with a little research and planning!

As usual, you are counting your chickens before you get your ducks in a row.

D

dems4me

Pixie I've had both as pets when I was living in LaPlata... ducks are cuter and quite friendly (at least Pekings are), they'd let me pick them up and pet them, etc.. and they followed me EVERYWHERE :lol: However, they are MESSY. If you have water for them it will need to be changed frequently as they like to dip their food in water to eat it... also it's true about them chitting every 7 seconds... if they are close to the house, then you are trackign in all this unsanitary "chit" into the house.

Chickens make for great pets and would get my vote because they are less needy and less maintenance. They make for great pets - but not soo great if you get a male and have neighbors or get one that crows all day. Also the female hends willgive you eggs you can use for cooking. The only use I found for duck eggs was for baking cakes or a meatloaf where the consistance was a little different and lots of yoke.

Most important with both of these animals is to make sure it is safe at night from opposums, foxes and other critters. The chicken will roost itself up off the ground safely, however with the ducks I had lock them in a big enclosure everynight for their safty.

Good luck :yay: