Television/Internet in St. Clements Shores

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Television/Internet in St. Clements Shores + I'm making an offer on a house

What Cable and High Speed Internet services are available in St. Clements Shores?

I'm going to make an offer on a home there and I'm just curious.

Last edited:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Not sure off hand, but go to Verizon, Comcast, and other sites to check it out - there's usually an option where you can enter a zip code and it'll tell you what's offered there.

Isn't St. Clements Shores way out there?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
It's south of Leonardtown on 243,
I'd actually have a view of St. Clements Bay on the Potomac.

It's a fixer-upper at 135K, and an old home... 1954.
It's also kind of small, only about 950 sq. ft., but it does have a detached 2 car garage and the location is beautiful.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by sleuth14
What Cable and High Speed Internet services are available in St. Clements Shores?

I'm going to make an offer on a home there and I'm just curious.
Cable TV and Internet - GMP. I haven't had cable in 8 years now and we are outside any known DSL service.

Which house?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Re: Re: Television/Internet in St. Clements Shores

Originally posted by Ken King
Cable TV and Internet - GMP. I haven't had cable in 8 years now and we are outside any known DSL service.

Which house?

it's 22311 Leonard St.
What's GMP?

JabbaJawz

Be about it
You know who GMP is - based out of Hollywood. They change names all the time...were Western Shore last, and I can't remember what they were before that.

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
DirecTV offers digital internet through their satelitte. I don't know how well it works. I do know that you can't get TV reception in a thunderstorm.:burning: But it's better then having a huge antenna on your roof.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Television/Internet in St. Clements Shores

it's 22311 Leonard St.
What's GMP?
GMP is the local cable company that has had about 10 names in 15 years. They bought out HSAnet a couple of years ago and have cable Internet in St. Mary's.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Re: Re: Re: Re: Television/Internet in St. Clements Shores

GMP is the local cable company that has had about 10 names in 15 years. They bought out HSAnet a couple of years ago and have cable Internet in St. Mary's.

I take it you live in the St. Clements area?
How do you feel about it?

The home I'm looking at is really small with about 900 sq. ft. of living space- the bedrooms are only 11x11, 13x8 and 9x8. But what sold me on it was the water view, the flat lot, the two car garage, and the fact that the owners are going to do a lot of repair work (painting and carpeting, and they've already done some new doorframes and some new windows and added a bay window) before it's sold.

I made a rough sketch.

Attachments

• image2.gif
    image2.gif
    9.1 KB · Views: 140

Ken King

PREMO Member
Originally posted by cmcdanal
DirecTV offers digital internet through their satelitte. I don't know how well it works. I do know that you can't get TV reception in a thunderstorm.:burning: But it's better then having a huge antenna on your roof.
I've had both DirecTV and the DishNetwork for 8 years and have only been without reception about 30 minutes in that entire time.

The satellite Internet is steep. About $600 for the setup and $60 a month or you can pay $100 a month for a year and then it drops to $60 a month after that. I guess the high speed cable connection costs about the same (might be more) by the time you factor in the extended basic service.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Television/Internet in St. Clements Shores

I take it you live in the St. Clements area?
How do you feel about it?
Yep, since 1965. Bought my Dad's house when he decided to move. I'm biased but I love it down here. Homeowners Association dues are $45 a year and optional (only need to pay if you plan on using the beach, piers, boat ramps).

The home I'm looking at is really small with about 900 sq. ft. of living space- the bedrooms are only 11x11, 13x8 and 9x8. But what sold me on it was the water view, the flat lot, the two car garage, and the fact that the owners are going to do a lot of repair work (painting and carpeting, and they've already done some new doorframes and some new windows and added a bay window) before it's sold.

I made a rough sketch.
You can always remodel once you are in and decide how you want to set up your home.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Ken,

what about flooding in that area?
is flood insurance available and about how much does it run?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Television/Internet in St. Clements Shores

You can always remodel once you are in and decide how you want to set up your home.

I would probably have to build equity before I could get a loan for major improvements. Plus, being so close to the water (and in SOMD in general), I'm guessing there's piles of permits that I would have to get to make any additions.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Ken,

what about flooding in that area?
is flood insurance available and about how much does it run?
If that property floods St. Mary's County will be devastated. You're a good 30 to 40 feet above sea-level. Occassionally Rt. 243 will get slightly flooded out near the Food Lion but you can always get out via Bayside Rd. There are only a handful of houses in St. Clements Shores that need to worry about flooding (waterfront property). We didn't need it for our mortgage and I'm only a couple hundred yards away from the house that you're interested in.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Television/Internet in St. Clements Shores

I would probably have to build equity before I could get a loan for major improvements. Plus, being so close to the water (and in SOMD in general), I'm guessing there's piles of permits that I would have to get to make any additions.
Permits? For interior work, don't think so. You know don't ask, don't tell.

Ken King

PREMO Member
Got to go, T-storms are starting to build up and I ain't smoking another computer.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Permits? For interior work, don't think so. You know don't ask, don't tell.

I was thinking more along the lines of an addition to the rear of the house...

This is a rought sketch (1st pass) of what I have in mind... but this is years down the road, if I choose to stay...

Attachments

• image4.gif
    image4.gif
    5.8 KB · Views: 86

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Originally posted by Kain99
Gotta test my new UPS! :smile:

Sleuth I hope you get the house. You're gonna love it there! At first you will experience massive culture shock... People on this end actually care about their neighbors and know everyones name. It'll be o.k. you'll get used to the friendliness. :wink:

I hope the house is a good one...
Being that it's older... I don't want to end up with a money pit...

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Sometimes, older homes are much more solid than newer ones. I looked at a home in Wildewood that was on one of the first few streets developed, and it was solid. In looking at the basement, the floor joists were closer together than today's law requires. I'm sure the older home you're looking at is pretty solid even though it's not sparkling new.

No matter what, buy a home as quickly as you can. I bought mine when I was 24. I was fortunate enough to buy with the intention of staying there forever, and not as an investment. But when I just had it appraised for refinancing, I'm glad I bought it when I did. (St. Mary's housing very valuable.) I save as best I can, but I probably wouldn't have saved the same amount of $$ that it has appreciated.

So, even if you don't buy this one, buy something soon. You won't regret it!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Oz
Sometimes, older homes are much more solid than newer ones. I looked at a home in Wildewood that was on one of the first few streets developed, and it was solid. In looking at the basement, the floor joists were closer together than today's law requires. I'm sure the older home you're looking at is pretty solid even though it's not sparkling new.
:yeahthat: My home was built in 1954 and is solid as a rock!