What to fish for in rivers, tributaries of bay?

Gunn317

This is the first year I've been a dedicated fisherman, now that we've owned a boat for a couple of years. We fish in the lower Potomac and St. Mary's River areas mostly. We were out yesterday and didn't catch a thing. (Oh, and I'd like to thank the weatherman for totally screwing up the water forecoast out there...thanks!)

I've followed Ken Lambs nearly-weekly reports to figure out what to fish for and what bait to use, etc. (St. Mary's County Local Fishing Report 10-15-07) But the last couple of reports are not mentioning these areas much, mostly focusing on Bay activities. I assume this is because the cooler waters is making the fish head south and out of the bay.

So...what are left to fish for in the Potomac (around St. George's Island) and the St. Marys rivers? Sounds like Flounder are gone; Croaker are pretty much gone. This accounts for 90% of our caught fish this year. Are there any Rockfish, Bluefish in the St. Mary's?

I'd still like to fish, and catch something (!), when the weather is rough and we're limited to the St. Mary's (like yesterday).

Thanks!

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

you'd be safe going for rockfish right now, blues may not still be running as much as it is getting colder, but i'm not positive because i've really (quite unfortunately) slacked off fishing in these past couple of years. I'd say your best bet right now would be to get some peelers and go fishin for some good ol' rockfish.

Edit:
hmm, well according to that fishing report, the bluefish are still running strong. I question this a little bit but i guess it really isn't THAT cold yet. just seems like it should be lol. your best bet will still be the rockfish right now though but if you wanna get in a last couple weeks of blue-fishing, now would be the time i guess.

Crow Bait

Blues and stripers were running yesterday.

Try to catch some small spot, then anchor over structure that is holding fish. Liveline spot with a 5/0 circle hook and flouro carbon leader... make sure to allow the fish to take the line for at least 3 seconds, then reel them in. In the bay we got our limit of stripers by 10am (14 fish), and some blues to boot.

There is also a trolling bite using hoses for bluefish. Finding the fish and going to correct speed will be the hardest part.

This time of year can be fantastic for first light skinny water striper fishing. Any shallow water structure should be holding fish at first light. Poppers, plugs, and jigs should be productive until the sun is completely up. Spend some time exploring the shallows and you might surprise yourself!

Potoman Rivers Anglers Club

Go join the group (free) Potoman River Anglers Club

Their web board is VERY informational - you will see a lot of BS'ing and ribbing going on there, but the people on there are really, really great. They can help with locations, lures, setup, what is biting on what... these guys really help each other out. :buddies:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
We went out Saturday trolling for blues and had to best luck in the late afternoon on eels. All the fish were 6 lbs and up. As wew were heading back in there were TONS of birds working from north of St. Jerome's Creek all the way down to the point.:burning: BUT the fish we did catch were extremely tasty that night with our crabs.

Look for the rock to start their winter migration south in a couple of weeks.

R

Rienell

We don't have a boat but want to catch some Rockfish (are these actually Stripers?) really bad. Can anyone recommend a good charter?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
We don't have a boat but want to catch some Rockfish (are these actually Stripers?) really bad. Can anyone recommend a good charter?

Check your pm box.
Rockfish=Striped Bass=Stripers (but we don't call them that here too often)

Haven't been up in Allens Fresh lately. Wonder how the catfish are biting?

I don't know about there, but my son's friend and his dad caught 53# and a 64# pound cats in the Potomac near Ft. Belvoir. They live lined some kind of fish (black something or other)I never heard of using trolling rods. He said all hell breaks loose when they hit.:lmao: I'll bet!

Gunn317

Thanks for all the info. I did join the link the Potomac River Anglers Club; great forum pertaining to just what I was looking for and where I will be doing most fishing. Hopefully I can learn something. I haven't been out since posting this, but have purchased a few new items and hope to get out before I need to winterize the boat!!

Thanks for all the info. I did join the link the Potomac River Anglers Club; great forum pertaining to just what I was looking for and where I will be doing most fishing. Hopefully I can learn something. I haven't been out since posting this, but have purchased a few new items and hope to get out before I need to winterize the boat!!

Glad to hear! These guys are a top-notch group and will help you out... they even radio each other while out on the water to give others reports.

Good Luck!