Out of County Children going to School.......

Giantone

............in Charles county ,Westlake ,McDoungh and Lacky are getting hit hard as are all the middle schools.My neighbor has kids picked up from her house every day ,who can we call the Board of Ed won't do a thing.This is costing "us" the tax payers a lot of money.:mad::burning::cussing:

Plan B

The cost of living near PGC and SE DC.
Same reason illegals risk coming here to work; it's mo better.
Get used to it. Sorry. More taxes would fund enforcement...
Look at it as foreign aid.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
If I'm not mistaken, it costs those parents around $7K per year to send their kids to Charles County public schools, so it isn't free. The school board has to approve it to make sure they have the "extra" seats to put their out-of-county butts in so as not to displace in-county students. If they are sneaking them in, then that's cheating and they should be sent packing.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
............in Charles county ,Westlake ,McDoungh and Lacky are getting hit hard as are all the middle schools.My neighbor has kids picked up from her house every day ,who can we call the Board of Ed won't do a thing.This is costing "us" the tax payers a lot of money.:mad::burning::cussing:
Could it be a re-zoning thing? When I started high school I went to McDonough and my neighbor went to La Plata. He was grandfather'd into the old zoning and I started a new zoning year.

nachomama

All Up In Your Grill
If I'm not mistaken, it costs those parents around $7K per year to send their kids to Charles County public schools, so it isn't free. The school board has to approve it to make sure they have the "extra" seats to put their out-of-county butts in so as not to displace in-county students. If they are sneaking them in, then that's cheating and they should be sent packing.

You are correct. I don't believe they cover this issue extensively on their website, as it would be a case-by-case basis, but they do enforce that students attending schools are in fact county residents, and if they are not, they must pay an out-of-county tuition.

This is a small blurb on their website that covers the topic, albeit vaguely.

Charles County Public Schools - Register Your Child For School
Planning to move
Families planning to move into Charles County within 90 days of the first day of school may enroll their children in Charles County Public Schools with special permission from the Department of Student Services. The family must notify the school when they complete the move. Tuition may be charged on a per diem basis as a result of failure to move by the agreed upon date.

red_explorer

Pg

In PG in the 80's, it was $12000 for kids in the District to go to PG County Schools. Same with Montgomery.

robbie

Then tell me why I can't move my kid from a middle school in Waldorf to one in LaPlata. I'll even pay some. Doesn't seem fair at all!!
Unless we sell our house, we cannot switch her middle school.

vegmom

Bookseller Lady
Are you sure they are out of county or just out of the regular school zone?

If it was a child care issue of some sort most counties allow transfers on that basis up thru middle school.

I live in Lusby, but my daughter goes to school in Prince Frederick because work and daycare are here.

Most of these kids parents use their relatives address within the county to get them into the county schools - when you go and report it the school board says "we will investigate it" and it falls down the cracks...

It really fries me! :burning:

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Is your neighbor licensed by the state to do child care? If she has children at her home more than 20 hours a month (an hour per day) she is required to be licensed through the office of child care. You can report her through them.

UNLESS the kids are relatives, then neither the school nor the state will care. But if she's doing a favor for a friend who is not a relative, she can be busted.

Plan B

On one hand sit back and think about your argument. On the other hand sit back and ponder the fact that the federal government says that illegal immigrant children, not from another county mind you, but from another country, will be educated at your expense.

And you voted for some of these people!

:killingme

Just love mean people sporting the Cross on their avatar.

AndyMarquisLIVE

It shouldn't happen...

... at all.

All of the schools are way overcrowded and MD isn't getting us the proper funding because our growth (which is the highest in the state, still) fell under expectation by like 70 people.

North Point, one of the largest high schools in the nation, is already building trailers. THEY'RE OVERCROWDED! :yikes:

Yeah, letting out-of-county kids go to school here, great idea. :rolleyes:

There's more to it, I just don't want to go into it.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
What about all the schools that have trailers instead of class rooms?

This week the Charles County Commissioners raised the cost per seat for builders to $16,500 per lot. Seeing as the builders are paying for seats for paper schools not built yet, makes one wonder what happened to all the money already paid? Is that how the Commissioners pay for the trailers?:sarcasm:

K

Kain99

I seriously doubt anyone in the neighboring counties would opt to send their kids to school in Charles.............. Call me crazy but WOW! :killingme

This week the Charles County Commissioners raised the cost per seat for builders to $16,500 per lot. Seeing as the builders are paying for seats for paper schools not built yet, makes one wonder what happened to all the money already paid? Is that how the Commissioners pay for the trailers?:sarcasm:

Are they throwing the bidding process out the window?

This leads me to believe the builders for the new schools for the next few years have already been chosen?

I thought a school needs to be built - it is put out to bid - school is built... cycle starts again. Or am I missing something?

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
I seriously doubt anyone in the neighboring counties would opt to send their kids to school in Charles.............. Call me crazy but WOW! :killingme

This behavior is what the voters wanted and got. With most top County administrators fleeing a burning building, the processes of government are grinding to a halt. After the proposed Special Session that O'Malley wants, it will get even worse if his proposals are enacted.

:jerry: