sewage contamination

mazda4

I was reading Wolfgang Commiss and his concern for contamination of our water from sewage spills and malfunctioning septic systems. For those of you who have given him a hard time on this issue you should do some research. He is 100% correct in his assessment and has a clear understanding of who is responsible for the problem. He also understands that citizens should be up in arms and must have government and private industry start fixing this problem "NOW."

In the 1970's and 80's I worked for Montgomery County going to seminars and listening to State and Local Government (Charles County) attempt at solutions to allow septice use for development. I remember they were touting an inovative system to be used for an auto parts building, saying it would last for many years. In less than a years it was malfunctioning and stayed that way until public sewer came along. If my memory serves me that did not happen for between 15 and 20 years.

I know the soil conditions and very shallow ground water table is a major obstical for development for both Charles and St. Mary's Countyies. These counties have allowed development over the years where only public sewer should have been used.

I would suggest both these health departments do an exhaustive sewer survey to determine where and how many failing systems and public sewer overflows there are and start the process of cleaning up our water ways.

Mr. Wolfgang you are a patriot.

Mazda4

R

residentofcre

The majority of our drinking water in Southern Maryland comes from a closed aquifer. The bay and the river may be in danger but so far our drinking water is pretty safe down here... Or that's what I hear anyway...