What Are Fair Rates For Skilled Trades Contractors

RadioCtrlDWife

What do you all think is a fair hourly rate for a well seasoned professional independent licensed contractor such as an electrician, computer fixer, air conditioning/ heating mechanic, or plumber to charge for on site service at your home?

What is a fair rate for their skilled assistant, helper/ person in training?

What is a fair minimum charge and or trip charge here in St Mary's for a service call?

This one is silly, but I am curious; Does a uniform or a company shirt with a name embossed on it make you more comfortable about the trades-person working in your home?

Thanks in advance
Bill

JOKER

Great Mills Rd
air conditioning/ heating mechanic $75 - $85 per Hr
Skilled Helper $15 - $35 per Hr
Service Call (Depends on Below) $31.00 - $85.00
after hours,
Emergency,
Regular working hours,
Weekends
Holidays

As far as uniform, who cares!, they could come NEKKID
as long as they come quick, do a professional job and fix my A/C
when it's broken and the weather is 99 degrees.

cwo_ghwebb

No Use for Donk Twits
What do you all think is a fair hourly rate for a well seasoned professional independent licensed contractor such as an electrician, computer fixer, air conditioning/ heating mechanic, or plumber to charge for on site service at your home?

What is a fair minimum charge and or trip charge here in St Mary's for a service call?

This one is silly, but I am curious; Does a uniform or a company shirt with a name embossed on it make you more comfortable about the trades-person working in your home?

Thanks in advance
Bill

As a computer technician I charge $25 per service call and generally $50/hour for general work. However, I had specific rates for specific work such as virus removal, hardware installation etc. As far as the company name on the shirt thing, that may help if one is unfamiliar with any companies/individuals that do that type of work. I would rather have an established company fix my roof or build a deck. I believe in this area, most of us know our neighbors and community better then those that live in urban areas and which individuals who do work independently are reliable. But I agree, in emergencies cost is not a consideration although I may feel a bit ripped off after the fact. In my case, word of mouth is the best advertising and keeps me verrrry busy.

GopherM

Darwin was right
As a computer technician I charge $25 per service call and generally $50/hour for general work. However, I had specific rates for specific work such as virus removal, hardware installation etc. As far as the company name on the shirt thing, that may help if one is unfamiliar with any companies/individuals that do that type of work. I would rather have an established company fix my roof or build a deck. I believe in this area, most of us know our neighbors and community better then those that live in urban areas and which individuals who do work independently are reliable. But I agree, in emergencies cost is not a consideration although I may feel a bit ripped off after the fact. In my case, word of mouth is the best advertising and keeps me verrrry busy.

If no uniform at least show up dressed appropriately. don't come to the house all "gangstered up" and expect the homeowner to be comfortable having you around. Two young men showed up at my place to install DirecTV a while back. Gophette was home alone and they are driving a beat up old van, no company markings, low low pants with drawers showing, do rags, but had the proper invoicing documents. That is not a professional image any reputable company wants to project. I am sure they were independent contractors for DirecTV, but the image sticks to them as well.

Do a good job and I am comfortable paying what the job is worth. dress appropriately and I am more comfortable allowing you into my house.

OldHillcrestGuy

Showed up at my place to install DirecTV a while back. Gophette was home alone and they are driving a beat up old van, no company markings, low low pants with drawers showing, do rags, but had the proper invoicing documents. That is not a professional image any reputable company wants to project. I am sure they were independent contractors for DirecTV, but the image sticks to them as well.

Do a good job and I am comfortable paying what the job is worth. dress appropriately and I am more comfortable allowing you into my house.

Contractors for Direct TV, proably the guys from Jedi Communications out of Leonardtown, hope they did nice job for you, because what they did for me was second rate. Called Direct TV to complain about them, asked them to not send them back to correct all the problems, but they did. Second time they did fix the sloppy job they did first time.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Define...

Thanks in advance
Bill

...'fair'.

GopherM

Darwin was right
Contractors for Direct TV, proably the guys from Jedi Communications out of Leonardtown, hope they did nice job for you, because what they did for me was second rate. Called Direct TV to complain about them, asked them to not send them back to correct all the problems, but they did. Second time they did fix the sloppy job they did first time.

These guys were not from the local area (from around the district somewhere) and they were mostly inexperienced. They were polite and were pretty much figuring it out as they went. Had to call DTV back and definitely told them not to send the same company back. Different guy out of Waldorf came back the next day and cleaned up the mess. Took him about 3 hours to get it right.