Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I was thinking about this at work today:

In general, is the able-bodied using the handicap stall in a restroom
on par with using a handicap parking spot? I admit I have done the
former, but sometimes with a bit of guilt and trepidation. :whistle:

-H
Is it labled "Handicap Only"? If so yes, if not it is open for anyone's use as at that time of need everyone is on equal footing.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

I was thinking about this at work today:

In general, is the able-bodied using the handicap stall in a restroom
on par with using a handicap parking spot? I admit I have done the
former, but sometimes with a bit of guilt and trepidation. :whistle:

-H

ha, the two aren't really comparable. one is a crime to use w/o the necessary pass, the other isn't. When (if ever) i have to use the handicapped stall, i try to get my business done as fast as possible just in case a really handicapped person comes in, but i also figure it this way...they'll be having to wait either way if there were another handicapped person in there so whats the difference?

edit!

i've never noticed if any of them say "handicapped only".. do these exist?

vbailey

vbailey
I use the Handi cap stall in the ladies room when it is the only stall free and there is not a handi cap person in need of it. It only takes a minute to pee. I think the reason why it says Handi Cap is because it has the bars installed to help people who have trouble standing, and is bigger for wheel chair. The other stalls do not have that, so they label it so you know which one has it available.

vbailey

vbailey
I do not believe it is a crime. But I do believe it to be a crime to use the mens room. Which I have to admit I have done that when there has been no line and a long one at the ladies restroom. Of course with a look out person!!! LOL!!!

SoMDGirl42

I've used the handicapped stall many times, especially when I have the little one in tow or in the stroller. We don't all fit in the regular stall.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I think it means that it is handicapped accessible, not only.
That's the point, unlike handicap only parking, the bathroom stalls in question are just setup to assist the handicap and not dedicated for their sole use.

ImnoMensa

I believe that in many cases handicapped stalls are a mandatory regulation, They have to be there for the use of the handicapped,but they are not for their sole use.

Many times they are the only ones where the lock works. I like locks that work in public restrooms.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We have no wheelchair handicapped persons in my building at work, therefore it is fair game. Besides, there is a chair in there in case you want to change clothes, you don't have to put your change of clothing on the floor. Ewww.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I believe that in many cases handicapped stalls are a mandatory regulation, They have to be there for the use of the handicapped,but they are not for their sole use.

Right - similar to a handicap ramp in addition to stairs. There's no sign that says "Walking people not allowed" and you do not need a permit to use that facility.

Handicapped parking spots, however, are designated for handicapped use only, and you will get a ticket and fine if you do not have a handicapped sticker or plate.

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
If it's the only stall available with a long line of non-handicapped people, I'm in it like flies on rice. I will never park in a handicapped parking space, but I have been severely tempted to call a soccer mom in at Giant when I've seen her do it on numerous occasions. What is that number you call?

bcp

In My Opinion
If it's the only stall available with a long line of non-handicapped people, I'm in it like flies on rice. I will never park in a handicapped parking space, but I have been severely tempted to call a soccer mom in at Giant when I've seen her do it on numerous occasions. What is that number you call?
If shes cute,, call me.