BIO DIESEL Grease fuel

male20674

Does anyone use it in their vehicle. Could u imagine if the contractors of SOMD used it how beneficial it would be? I am asking that first the state and county vehicles be switched to alternative fuels and then starting with companies such as the trading post. If it becomes more common around here it will catch on.

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
Does anyone use it in their vehicle. Could u imagine if the contractors of SOMD used it how beneficial it would be? I am asking that first the state and county vehicles be switched to alternative fuels and then starting with companies such as the trading post. If it becomes more common around here it will catch on.

And why would anyone listen to you? :confused:

male20674

why wouldnt they entertain the idea. Maryland is know for the Chesapeake Bay and seafood. We fight for the Bay. Its a trickle down Effect. Less co2 in the air would benefit everyone. There needs to be tax breaks for businesses to get involved.

the kit for a ford f250 is only 1800 and its worth it.

Sparx

why wouldnt they entertain the idea. Maryland is know for the Chesapeake Bay and seafood. We fight for the Bay. Its a trickle down Effect. Less co2 in the air would benefit everyone. There needs to be tax breaks for businesses to get involved.

I thought part of the charm of it was that you didn't need to modify your vehicle?

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08

I believe I heard the County is going to try it.

male20674

I thought part of the charm of it was that you didn't need to modify your vehicle?

if you run biodiesel (a mix of diesel and cooking oil) I believe that you dont need to change anything. To run off of straight Cooking oil you will need to do minor mods to the car because cooking oils do not flow properly until the engine is at a certian temperature.

Normally to run off of straight cooking oil you must start the vehicle using diesel and then once the engine is warmed up (couple mins) you flip a switch and run it off of cooking grease.

if you run biodiesel (a mix of diesel and cooking oil) I believe that you dont need to change anything. To run off of straight Cooking oil you will need to do minor mods to the car because cooking oils do not flow properly until the engine is at a certian temperature.

Normally to run off of straight cooking oil you must start the vehicle using diesel and then once the engine is warmed up (couple mins) you flip a switch and run it off of cooking grease.

Right. And modifying the vehicle in any way violates your warranty. If you modify something that pertains to emissions systems, you violate federal and state regulations as well. You want to be able to run the new fuel in an unmodified vehicle.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Right. And modifying the vehicle in any way violates your warranty. If you modify something that pertains to emissions systems, you violate federal and state regulations as well. You want to be able to run the new fuel in an unmodified vehicle.

...and the state boys will come a knockin on your door because you're not paying the "free" state tax money on your fuel.

It's only good for the environment if the politicians get paid

...and the state boys will come a knockin on your door because you're not paying the "free" state tax money on your fuel.

It's only good for the environment if the politicians get paid

Yes. I just saw that on Tv, forget what I was watching. They said if bio-fuel were to take off, we would be required to pay tax on that fuel. How they would control home-grown fuel is beyond me.

SpeedyG

The trading post could get by on Bubbys deep fryer oil alone.:lmao:
Running cars on used fryer oil.

Certainly brings new meaning to the phrase "Go Greased Lightnin'" doesn't it. :lol:
:lmao:

Bonehead

You all are talking about two different things. Bio diesel is a processed form of oil which removes all the glycerine from the oil and can be burned directly in a disesel engine with some consequences. It will "eat" regular rubber components and is a strong solvent and will plug fuel filters for a while if you switch to it in an engine that has been run on dino diesel.

Burning filtered dewatered vegetable oil requires modification to a diesel engine. Normally the diesel is started and run for a while until the engine reaches about 160 degrees and then the engine coolant is used to pre heat the oil before it is switched over to the injection system. You may get away with running straight cold oil but you will wind up with "coking" on the injectors and rings due to unburned fuel. And forget burning it in the winter even here. It turns to a jello same with Bio diesel to an extent.

Tomcat

Anytime
I don't see them catching everyone using homebrewed biodiesel. The ones I've read about had web pages on do it yourself and were really promoting it. I've seen a few cars with big stickers in the back window proclaiming running for free on used cooking oil. If I were going to do it I'd just do it and not make a big deal about it. I bought my first Mercedes diesel with the thought of running it on used cooking oil. Once I checked into it more, the "free fuel" isn't very free. A standard conversion kit was around $1200 for the car. Then the tanks and filters to prepare the oil, then purchasing Methonal in bulk (do you have a license to transport hazmat?) With my driving habits, ride the bike in nice weather, use the car for the rest, I figured it would take me about 4 years to break even on my free fuel. Here's a few links for those interested. Biodiesel forum-BioDieselNow - Renewable biodiesel fuel - Maryland, Virginia, & DC Biodiesel Initiative
Willie Nelson's Biowillie- http://www.biowillieusa.com/index.php
Grease Car Conversions- Greasecar Vegetable Fuel Systems
I can't find it now, but I remember reading that the Navy Exchange service station near the Pentagon was selling biodiesel. If anyone is really interested I've got a couple of Mercedes diesels for sale here- Mercedes clearance sale: - ShopForum

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Only while the "grese" is free.. It's just like corn, it's ALMOST a viable option, as long as your neighbor doesn't want to do it too..

If you and your neighbor want to do it there isn't enough oil for the both of you.. THEN you are going to get charged for it, and since it will be a rare commodity at that point, whereas you can go to the local station and get gas, the price will be higher than gas.

BioDiesel, and Vegetable oil are great ideas IF you are the only one doing it.

The more people that do it, the less viable and sustainable the process is.

Bonehead

Tomcat - cool another mercedesshop forum junkie. I have an 85 300D and and an 85 TD both daily drivers.

Novus Collectus

Bio diesel does not reduce CO2 emissions.
You must mean less sulfur emissions.

Novus Collectus

Only while the "grese" is free.. It's just like corn, it's ALMOST a viable option, as long as your neighbor doesn't want to do it too..

If you and your neighbor want to do it there isn't enough oil for the both of you.. THEN you are going to get charged for it, and since it will be a rare commodity at that point, whereas you can go to the local station and get gas, the price will be higher than gas.

BioDiesel, and Vegetable oil are great ideas IF you are the only one doing it.

The more people that do it, the less viable and sustainable the process is.

True. Just how like the push to make corn into ethanol has driven up the price of corn based food. And how the increased used of ethanol has lead to the price of corn based ethanol to be more expensive than gasoline usually.
Unless you own a soybean farm, grow your own oil and process it yourself, someday biodiesel will cost you way more than real diesel if it catches on.