SOMD The Babysitting that is our K-12 Education system.

res9405

You see here is the thing. My kid goes to school and is ushered into a prison state where the "Teachers"(Baby sitters) are not under any accountability system other than the "GOOD OLD BOY" system. :duel:

What is wrong with this? Well simply put I am told that I have no right to ask questions of her teachers with out first arranging an entire TEAM meeting with every teacher that she has. I can’t even get a message to the teacher in question because Calvert County teachers will not use the EMAIL system unless it benefits their cause.

I am at a loss and don’t understand when we as parents lost our ability to hold the government supplied (OUR TAX Dollars paid for) education system EMPLOYEES accountable for their actions.

When you approach the office staff at these so called schools you are often met with contempt and a direct meanness. When I was growing up if my Father or Mother had met this type of contemptibly from a school district employee it would have justified immediate dismissal as a school employee. Example #1: when my wife called to leave a message for a teacher that my daughter had the school secretary said that she did not have the time to waste taking messages. When this same secretary was questioned face to face about the incident in question she claimed that it never happened and call my wife a LIAR. Well little did she know that my wife had recorded the entire conversation and presented it as evidence of her contemptuous behavior she stated that my wife deserved being ignored because she was being unreasonable. To add to our belief that we were being disregarded and even after we had presented our evidence to the principal at the time, that principal did NOTHING about this secretary as she is still working in that same office and at the same position. We were told that he would investigate the incident. Oh and by the way we were never contacted again about this issue. Typical say you will do something and never follow through attitude that I find all over the Education system of this back water state.

Example#2: My daughter was INJURED at school and we heard nothing about it until she was allowed to call her mother at home. WHY was it that she had to call us at home and that the SCHOOL who is responsible for her welfare was not the one who called us?

Over and over I hear similar complaints from parents about the lack of RESPECT afforded to the people who are paying their pay checks. Does anyone else feel like they are being disregarded, disrespected by the staff at their child’s school. If you do feel the same way maybe we could all approach the States Education Board about the lack of professional accountability and Respect for those parents who are now demanding accountability. As the PARENTS who are being forced to send their children to these schools we somehow feel as though they are doing us a FAVOR by treating us as an imposition when we inquire about our children when in their care!
!

Dukesdad

I have two kids still in school. One at LHS and one at LMS. I have found ALL of their teachers to be VERY responsive to questions regarding classwork, homework and school in general.
We make use of the email stysem they have set up to question teachers and what ever the name of the new software program is to track work...

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Be careful recording phone coversations. It is illegal to do that in Maryland without the knowledge of both participants in the conversation. It would be really easy for someone, especially someone you already have an antagonistic relationship with to sue you and win.

It definately sounds like you have valid complaints. There is a lot wrong with the school system. The problem is the teachers and administrators KNOW there are things that are wrong, but they are under so much pressure to be accountable for this and that, be PC, be diverse, leave no child behind, :blahblah:

There is an increasing number of homeschoolers as a result. You may want to look into it. More and more it is a viable alternative to the problems of the public school system.

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
My kids go to school in Calvert and I have NEVER had the problems you described. I have always been welcomed into the school. The secretarys at both schools are always friendly. If I want to talk to one of their teachers I go in and talk to them. I have never been turned away.

Not all of them use email and I am okay with that.

MMDad

Lem Putt
My kids go to school in Calvert and I have NEVER had the problems you described. I have always been welcomed into the school. The secretarys at both schools are always friendly. If I want to talk to one of their teachers I go in and talk to them. I have never been turned away.

:yeahthat: Of course, we didn't wait until something was wrong before we made ourselves known to the schools. It's amazing how much better things work when you take an active part in your child's education, instead of waiting until something happens and whining about it.

cdsulhoff

Same here. I never had a problem with the schools either. At least not any my kids go to.

res9405

Thanks for all of your comments. My opinion will not change from my experience though. I will say that we have every right to prove what we say and I dont believe that when the police put a wire on a person to record what they are saying that they disclose to the person being recorded that they are bbeing recorded. Besides, when you are confronted with deceit and accusation one is entitled to do what is necessary to prove who is the real liar!
If the person being recorded was on the up & up then they would have nothing to fear by being recorded. But being recorded or not is not the issue here. What I find so unusual is that the so called EDUCATORS in Calvert County or more specifically at Southern Middle School lack in the como dept. There have been many emails sent and only on a very few occasions has a reply been received. The Frustration here is in NOR getting what we as the taxpayer are paying for. A school is no different than any other Government agency. A taxpayer is entitled to an answer when a question is asked. A RESPECTFUL answer. What is not provided at the school mentioned above is RESPECT.

smilin

BOXER NATION
I have two boys in SMPS and I have never had a problem. I have had meetings with both teams and individual teachers. I communicate with the staff exclusively by email. SMPS is dedicated to education and apparently keeping up with the 21st century.

Last edited:

res9405

My Wife and I have always been at functions for our daughter and provide her with everything necessary to have a good day at school. What we seem to get from the school is very little. However , I must admit that there is always the possibility that the como to the student does not make it to us through our daughter from the school in a timely manner. But it has been my experience that if the teachers would send out an EMAIL with the requirements to all of their students parents who provide an email address that the issues of not being told about things needed for class until the day prior to the requirement would almost solve the last second "I HAVE TO HAVE THIS Tomrrow" problem a thing of the past.

LusbyMom

Thanks for all of your comments. My opinion will not change from my experience though. I will say that we have every right to prove what we say and I dont believe that when the police put a wire on a person to record what they are saying that they disclose to the person being recorded that they are bbeing recorded. Besides, when you are confronted with deceit and accusation one is entitled to do what is necessary to prove who is the real liar!
If the person being recorded was on the up & up then they would have nothing to fear by being recorded. But being recorded or not is not the issue here. What I find so unusual is that the so called EDUCATORS in Calvert County or more specifically at Southern Middle School lack in the como dept. There have been many emails sent and only on a very few occasions has a reply been received. The Frustration here is in NOR getting what we as the taxpayer are paying for. A school is no different than any other Government agency. A taxpayer is entitled to an answer when a question is asked. A RESPECTFUL answer. What is not provided at the school mentioned above is RESPECT.

Why did your wife record the conversation? Were their previous conversations to give her reason to do that? It is illegal to record without the other party's consent.

My kids will be in So Middle in 2 years and we will see how things go. I do expect a response from the teachers and staff and I so far have always gotten it.

LusbyMom

My Wife and I have always been at functions for our daughter and provide her with everything necessary to have a good day at school. What we seem to get from the school is very little. However , I must admit that there is always the possibility that the como to the student does not make it to us through our daughter from the school in a timely manner. But it has been my experience that if the teachers would send out an EMAIL with the requirements to all of their students parents who provide an email address that the issues of not being told about things needed for class until the day prior to the requirement would almost solve the last second "I HAVE TO HAVE THIS Tomrrow" problem a thing of the past.

What did the world do before email? YOu are upset the teachers doesn't email you but it could be your kid isn't bringing the info home?

res9405

I have two boys in SMPS and I have never had a problem. I have had meeting with both teams and individual teachers.

How did you arrange a meeting with a single teacher? There have been several times when my wife was told that the Teachers only meet with parents as a GROUP! I have been to the Group meetings and I too was told that they dont meet on an Individual bassis with parents.

What gives?

res9405

What did the world do before email? YOu are upset the teachers doesn't email you but it could be your kid isn't bringing the info home?

I admit that this may be a possibility. But given the frequency of the conversations with school teachers and other parents of kids that my daughter attends school with. It would seem that she is only one in Many with the same Information neglect. So I dont believe that it is an exclusive failure of the student not to bring home materials. Maybe once or twice thruout the year, but not regularly.

LusbyMom

I admit that this may be a possibility. But given the frequency of the conversations with school teachers and other parents of kids that my daughter attends school with. It would seem that she is only one in Many with the same Information neglect. So I dont believe that it is an exclusive failure of the student not to bring home materials. Maybe once or twice thruout the year, but not regularly.

Is this her first year there?

res9405

No. It is not her first year @ Southern. It is however, her first year with this new Principal. I think that she will improve things. But as far as the older staff. OLD habbits die hard!

MMDad

Lem Putt
Do you honestly think that the teacher should have to email the parent with every assignment the child is assigned? That is just ridiculous. If your child can't keep track of assignment and doesn't bring information home, why would you blame the teachers?

smdgolfer

Try having a child in any type of special education program in Calvert. They'll sing the praises, but they consistently diminish the parent, don't follow standard protocol and are completely unaccountable.

Tina2001aniT

But it has been my experience that if the teachers would send out an EMAIL with the requirements to all of their students parents who provide an email address that the issues of not being told about things needed for class until the day prior to the requirement would almost solve the last second "I HAVE TO HAVE THIS Tomrrow" problem a thing of the past.

IMO you are talking about a MIDDLE SCHOOL kid here, this child needs to be held accountable for bringing information home. His/Her teacher should not have to send you an email because your kid isn't organized/doesn't care. Try :smack: kiddo and see what happens.....

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
I will say that we have every right to prove what we say and I dont believe that when the police put a wire on a person to record what they are saying that they disclose to the person being recorded that they are bbeing recorded. Besides, when you are confronted with deceit and accusation one is entitled to do what is necessary to prove who is the real liar!
I was just giving a bit of advice. The law varies from state to state and I don't know if you are from around these parts or were aware of the law. Police can't tape conversations without a person's knowledge unless they have a court order, which they can only get with probable cause. You aren't the police and you don't have a court order. If this person is as nasty as you say, she could easily decide to sue you in this sue-happy world and you would lose, regardless of what you believe your rights to be, because it IS against the law, whether you want it to be or not.