Looking for a good mechanic

Tikibar

Wayne from Maine
Tired of paying too much money for work to be done on my car!
Any good (and fairly priced) mechanics within short distance of Leonardtown.
New to the area.

ImnoMensa

I guess it depends on what you call good and fairly priced. Any good mechanics shop now will charge you about $70 bucks an hour.

The day of the shade tree mechanic is about gone. Today's modern automobile requires training and modern equipment to get the job done right.

When your car quits now dont bother to open the hood. You aint gonna fix it, just call the tow man. Without modern diagnostic equipment and the know-how to use it you are sucking wind. Such equipment and the men to use it costs money. Training costs money.

Most anyone can change a serpentine belt, some can change a cam belt,but my advice is to seek a place that is well equipped and pay the price, in the long run its cheaper.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I've always trusted Mark's (outside of Pax - Gate 2)

A woman I work with took her car there for repairs and it was broken into. Shattered a window. Marks would not be responsible for it.

I like Jay at Sunoco, northbound 235 just above gate 1.

Vince

I guess it depends on what you call good and fairly priced. Any good mechanics shop now will charge you about $70 bucks an hour.

The day of the shade tree mechanic is about gone. Today's modern automobile requires training and modern equipment to get the job done right.

When your car quits now dont bother to open the hood. You aint gonna fix it, just call the tow man. Without modern diagnostic equipment and the know-how to use it you are sucking wind. Such equipment and the men to use it costs money. Training costs money.

Most anyone can change a serpentine belt, some can change a cam belt,but my advice is to seek a place that is well equipped and pay the price, in the long run its cheaper.
That's why I'm going to buy this when I get some money. Straight bare bones V-8 with AC. No emmision BS and I can fix it.

Attachments

• 70chevy-1.jpg
    70chevy-1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 67

Pushrod

Patriot
I've had problems with Mark's. I switched to a little shop called Four T's Garage on Mercedes drive in California and they have been great everytime I've had to take a vehicle in there. I would never use anyone else now.

I had to have a timing gear in the transfer case of my truck replaced last year, Four T's quoted me $200 lower than anyone else and got the work done in one day. Excellent! Two thumbs way up in my book.

Bonehead

The last time I tried Jay at the Sunoco he did about half of what I asked him to repair wise. Said he didn't have enough staff. Had some problems with tires bought there too. We used him for almost ten years and five different cars. It sucks to see his business go down the drain. But if you don't satisfy the customer guess what they walk away, like I did.

smilin

BOXER NATION
Tired of paying too much money for work to be done on my car!
Any good (and fairly priced) mechanics within short distance of Leonardtown.
New to the area.

R&R Automotive in San Souci, behind Joanne Fabrics, has worked and fixed my cars and trucks. They have fixed them when other garages where doing the Christmas tree method - keep hanging (and Charging$$$) parts until the vehicle runs.
Good mechanics.

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
You said close to Leonardtown....I suggest Pilkertons in Clements (5 miles from Ltown) You may even want to keep on down 242 in the 7th to Hills Auto...Hills is very professional and they really do good work...Pilkertons does to....You'll be OK in the 7th...Just don't steal our stuff....:lmao:

smilin

BOXER NATION
There is another place on Leonardtown Rd., it's past McKay's on the left, behind the Little Amish grocery stand. They are a very good family who are very conscientious and fairly priced.
Sounds strange, Amish garage, but they are very good.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

i'll have to put out there...

do NOT go to Leonardtown Service Center. It is a family owned place, and my parents would always go there, but the bastard charged me over two hundred dollars to replace a dam heater hose (and do an oil change...but still). I had to have it done in that area though or my engine would have overheated, but you can be i won't go back there :yay:

I always go to Hodges and Mattingly Tire and Auto Center. Boon Mattingly is in charge over there and he is very fair about everything. Especially if you know what you want done, i'd say go there. You will not get charged any more than the job is worth and they do a good job in a timely manner.

just my $0.02 though :smile: