Telephone Fishing Survey or Scam?

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Anyone been receiving telephone calls with Caller ID = Unknown Name/Unknown Number claiming to be doing a survey for the U.S. Dept. of Commerce? The first questions (before the click) is How many people in your household go fishing?

The callers sound rushed and unprofessional. If this is a legit survey, they probably shouldn't use the lowest bidder next time.

Crow Bait

Anyone been receiving telephone calls with Caller ID = Unknown Name/Unknown Number claiming to be doing a survey for the U.S. Dept. of Commerce? The first questions (before the click) is How many people in your household go fishing?

The callers sound rushed and unprofessional. If this is a legit survey, they probably shouldn't use the lowest bidder next time.

It's legit. It is how the recreational effort and harvest for all species is estimated for the entire coast. It's a pretty sad effort though, I've never heard of a fishermen getting a call.

Here's some info on the surveys

Recreational Fisheries Statistics - Overview

There's alot of debate about the survey techniques and statistical modelling, but unfortunately it's all we have.

belvak

Happy Camper

Yep, legit. National Survey of Fishing and Wildlife... I got a call from them about 5 years ago and answered all of their questions. Of course, that meant that they called me back every year. Finally, a year or so ago, when they called and asked if anyone in the household had gone fishing in the last year, I just said No and that ended it! You're right, some of the people doing the calling aren't too professional. Phone survey work is a lot like telemarketing... They take who they can get.

oldman

Lobster Land
I got the call just yesterday. How many in the household, just me. Have you fished within the past year, yes. Within the past 2 months, no. OK, thank you. Ain't much a survey??????