Author Dashiell Hammett's house ?

Harvick29

I have heard that the author of The Maltese Falcon was born on Great Mills Road in Lexington Park in the 1800's. Does anyone know whereabouts it is at ? I have driven down that road a zillion times and I have never seen it. I am sort of a history buff and like to do research on my spare time. Thanks.

Spanky

The house ( Hopewell Manor) is no longer there. There is an historical marker on the eastbound side of Great Mills Road, right around the entrance road to Sanner's Lake.

GopherM

Darwin was right
I have heard that the author of The Maltese Falcon was born on Great Mills Road in Lexington Park in the 1800's. Does anyone know whereabouts it is at ? I have driven down that road a zillion times and I have never seen it. I am sort of a history buff and like to do research on my spare time. Thanks.

If you check out the local phonebook you will find that there are still many Hammets still in the county.

Oremus

Dashiell Hammett was born in St. Mary's County, but apparently left as soon as he was of age and never returned. Apparently he felt he couldn't pursue a writing career in St. Mary's and headed to New York City. Read his biography, it's interesting.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Dashiell Hammett was born in St. Mary's County, but apparently left as soon as he was of age and never returned. Apparently he felt he couldn't pursue a writing career in St. Mary's and headed to New York City. Read his biography, it's interesting.

Conceived at the A&E motel??

Arista

Am I on your x-mas list? :lmao:
Most likely not. Sorry. Of the close family (aunts, uncles, cousins) that I see on a semi-annual basis, I don't have a relative on that side named "Mike." If you're a Hammett, you might be one of the "other Hammetts." As I understand it, back in the day two of the brothers had a falling out and the family kind of broke into two 'factions.' We're all related, but we don't really know each other or attend family reunions together. It's like we're two completely different families with the same last name. :shrug:

Danzig

The Sign

Here

Attachments

• hammett.jpg
    hammett.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 156

Dupontster

Would THIS face lie?
Most likely not. Sorry. Of the close family (aunts, uncles, cousins) that I see on a semi-annual basis, I don't have a relative on that side named "Mike." If you're a Hammett, you might be one of the "other Hammetts." As I understand it, back in the day two of the brothers had a falling out and the family kind of broke into two 'factions.' We're all related, but we don't really know each other or attend family reunions together. It's like we're two completely different families with the same last name. :shrug:

We're the cool Hammett's....:howdy: