XM / Sirius

Tomcat

Anytime
Does anyone know if the XM and Sirius antennas are the same? Got a new car that already has an XM antenna, but don't you know I've already got Sirius.

bubble_gum_yum

Does anyone know if the XM and Sirius antennas are the same? Got a new car that already has an XM antenna, but don't you know I've already got Sirius.

I was told that XM & Sirius will be merging in December. Does that mean either antenna will work? :shrug:

Tomcat

Anytime
I know they're waiting FCC approval or something, I need to know if the antenna I've got will work with the radio I've got. I don't want to tear the dash apart to get to the plug to find out.

E

(((echo)))

no...they are not the same, the plug and frequency are different
from what i understand when the merge happens there wont be anything you have to do, all that will change is the programming

I've looked briefly at the two antennas, they appear to be the same on the surface. It won't hurt the unit to plug in an antenna it's not designed for, worst case is that it won't work. I have a sneaky suspicion that they are interchangeable. If the jacks are the same, I'd try it.

no...they are not the same, the plug and frequency are different
from what i understand when the merge happens there wont be anything you have to do, all that will change is the programming

The ones I saw had the same jacks... maybe there are minor difference in the model.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Don't they both operate in the S-band and as such as long as the connectors are the same there shouldn't be a problem.

Tomcat

Anytime
Don't they both operate in the S-band and as such as long as the connectors are the same there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks Ken, that's what I'm trying to find out. If the frequencies are the same or close enough will it work.