Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign the Petition - A Light for Aly Purvis

Quote Originally Posted by hammishsqueak View Post
    Okay, since my boyfriend's father said this, he may or may not be making it up He told me once that the county generally doesn't consider putting up a light somewhere until there have been at least three fatal accidents. He said that there used to not be a light at White Sands and that after a few fatalities they put up a light. Sounds odd to me.
    you are right, they shouldput lights at ALL intersections.

BTW, they have to have some way of determining if there is a need, The engineers can only do so much to keep people from making stupid mistakes.

Rienell
    Well, compare that to the ratio of accidents/deaths at other similar intersections over 3 years and that should warrant the justification for a light.

I know someone will probably come in here and blast me, saying "how many ppl have to die before we put a light in!". If that's the case, we have to put a light at every intersection there's been a death. We can't do that. I'm sorry this girl lost her life, but it was an accident due to bad judgement.. not a DOT inadequacy.

I could get hit in the head by a meteroite within the next three years while walking around, but I'm not going to wear a helmet unless it becomes more common, see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rienell View Post
    Well, compare that to the ratio of accidents/deaths at other similar intersections over 3 years and that should warrant the justification for a light.

I know someone will probably come in here and blast me, saying "how many ppl have to die before we put a light in!". If that's the case, we have to put a light at every intersection there's been a death. We can't do that. I'm sorry this girl lost her life, but it was an accident due to bad judgement.. not a DOT inadequacy.

I could get hit in the head by a meteroite within the next three years while walking around, but I'm not going to wear a helmet unless it becomes more common, see.

Well, why don't you show us where you get the statistics to determine your ratio? While you're at it, why don't you show us how the DOT determines how busy an intersection is. And just as a bonus, maybe you could give us links to those statistics.

Rienell
    Quote Originally Posted by mAlice View Post
    Well, why don't you show us where you get the statistics to determine your ratio? While you're at it, why don't you show us how the DOT determines how busy an intersection is. And just as a bonus, maybe you could give us links to those statistics.
    You didn't even read my post, else you would've seen that I asked those very questions initially. Where is this information found at?
    I'll vote yes, if it's warranted. But I don't think making these sorts of decisions based on emotion instead of rational logic is a good idea. That's all I'm saying... back up the need.

You didn't even read my post, else you would've seen that I asked those very questions initially. Where is this information found at?
    I'll vote yes, if it's warranted. But I don't think making these sorts of decisions based on emotion instead of rational logic is a good idea. That's all I'm saying... back up the need.

Why would you be opposed to having a traffic light at a busy intersection?

6. 11-07-2007, 01:56 PM

why would you want a traffic light at every intersection?

Rienell
    Like I previously mentioned, a light there will back up traffick and cause unnecessary delays. I drive from Prince Frederick to DC everyday; It's hard enough trying to make a simple U-Turn let alone cross completely over ANYWHERE on Rt 4 during peak hours. Not just there.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyjones View Post
    why would you want a traffic light at every intersection?
    I don't think that's what she said.

Like I previously mentioned, a light there will back up traffick and cause unnecessary delays. I drive from Prince Frederick to DC everyday; It's hard enough trying to make a simple U-Turn let alone cross completely over ANYWHERE on Rt 4 during peak hours. Not just there.

Wah. Leave earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by K_Jo View Post
    I don't think that's what she said.
    right, but if we put lights at every intersection there was ever an accident.....

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.