Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 125

Thread: Sign the Petition - A Light for Aly Purvis

  1. #21
    professional daydreamer mAlice's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    37,188
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyjones View Post
    right, but if we put lights at every intersection there was ever an accident.....
    There are fender benders every day. Not really a big deal. But when you have to get into traffic that's 65+mph, from a dead stop, that's another story. I never suggested putting a traffic light at every intersection that there was ever an accident at.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by mAlice View Post
    There are fender benders every day. Not really a big deal. But when you have to get into traffic that's 65+mph, from a dead stop, that's another story. I never suggested putting a traffic light at every intersection that there was ever an accident at.
    you asked why she would be against a light at a dangerous intersection, the obvious answer is that danger is a matter of degrees, and that the SHA has to make decisions based on their data.

    you can't just have a kneejerk reaction to an accident and out up a light. before you know it you have a light at every intersection.

  3. #23
    professional daydreamer mAlice's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    37,188
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyjones View Post
    you asked why she would be against a light at a dangerous intersection, the obvious answer is that danger is a matter of degrees, and that the SHA has to make decisions based on their data.

    you can't just have a kneejerk reaction to an accident and out up a light. before you know it you have a light at every intersection.
    I'm not having a knee jerk reaction. You think I've never driven on that road? I know how dangerous it is.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by mAlice View Post
    I'm not having a knee jerk reaction. You think I've never driven on that road? I know how dangerous it is.
    then why weren't you on here LAST WEEK asking for a light?

  5. #25

    Angry

    Quote Originally Posted by Rienell View Post
    Like I previously mentioned, a light there will back up traffick and cause unnecessary delays. I drive from Prince Frederick to DC everyday; It's hard enough trying to make a simple U-Turn let alone cross completely over ANYWHERE on Rt 4 during peak hours. Not just there.
    ....add a light and you'll cause unnecessary delays. God forbid we actually SLOW DOWN the commuters that fly into DC at 70+ mph every day!

    If you are in that much of a hurry to get into DC, move to PG county. Otherwise, slow down, or accept the fact that lights are needed at the busiest intersections, no matter how much of an inconveience it is for the commuters that choose to drive an hour plus to work each day. You are sharing the road with inexperienced drivers that have no business driving at 70+ mph and SHOULD be delayed (slowed) while driving Rt 4 in the morning.

    The truth of the matter is that we are throwing our [inexperienced] children on to Rt 4 and telling them "be safe", which is close to impossible. They have no protection against the drivers that insist on travelling at high rates of speed.

    If you travel at the speed limit, you are practically run down, regardless of which lane you are travelling in. I've been driving for 30+ years and I am still afraid at times driving on Rt. 4.

    Granted, this accident wasn't caused by excessive speed, but a new driver is less likely to properly navigate a busy intersection than an experienced driver. And, had there been a light at this interesction, she should would have had a better opportunity to proceed through it safely.

    We are no longer a rural county...face the facts and upgrade out roads to accomodate the amount of traffic that use them every day.
    Last edited by riverview; 11-07-2007 at 02:24 PM.

  6. #26
    R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you! SouthernMdRocks's Avatar
    Member Since
    May 2006
    Posts
    4,709
    Quote Originally Posted by riverview View Post
    ....add a light and you'll cause unnecessary delays. God forbid we actually SLOW DOWN the commuters that fly into DC at 70+ mph every day!

    If you are in that much of a hurry to get into DC, move to PG county. Otherwise, slow down, or accept the fact that lights are needed at the busiest intersections, no matter how much of an inconveience it is for the commuters that choose to drive an hour plus to work each day. You are sharing the road with inexperienced drivers that have no business driving at 70+ mph and SHOULD be delayed (slowed) while driving Rt 4 in the morning.

    The truth of the matter is that we are throwing our [inexperienced] children on to Rt 4 and telling them "be safe", which is close to impossible. They have no protection against the drivers that insist on travelling at high rates of speed.

    If you travel at the speed limit and you are practically run down, regardless of which lane you are in. I've been driving for 30+ years and I am still afraid at times driving on Rt. 4.

    Granted, this accident wasn't caused by excessive speed, but a new driver is less likely to properly navigate a busy intersection than an experienced driver. And, had there been a light at this interesction, should would have been able to proceed through it safely.
    My teen didn't get his license till he was 18, believe me even then that was scary. He is still just now getting to learn the ropes of navigating safely with other vehicles. When I am in the car with him I still find myself telling him to pay attention to all of his surroundings. Sometimes he just in his own little world!!

  7. #27
    professional daydreamer mAlice's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    37,188
    Quote Originally Posted by riverview View Post
    ....add a light and you'll cause unnecessary delays. God forbid we actually SLOW DOWN the commuters that fly into DC at 70+ mph every day!

    If you are in that much of a hurry to get into DC, move to PG county. Otherwise, slow down, or accept the fact that lights are needed at the busiest intersections, no matter how much of an inconveience it is for the commuters that choose to drive an hour plus to work each day. You are sharing the road with inexperienced drivers that have no business driving at 70+ mph and SHOULD be delayed (slowed) while driving Rt 4 in the morning.

    The truth of the matter is that we are throwing our [inexperienced] children on to Rt 4 and telling them "be safe", which is close to impossible. They have no protection against the drivers that insist on travelling at high rates of speed.

    If you travel at the speed limit, you are practically run down, regardless of which lane you are travelling in. I've been driving for 30+ years and I am still afraid at times driving on Rt. 4.

    Granted, this accident wasn't caused by excessive speed, but a new driver is less likely to properly navigate a busy intersection than an experienced driver. And, had there been a light at this interesction, she should would have had a better opportunity to proceed through it safely.

    We are no longer a rural county...face the facts and upgrade out roads to accomodate the amount of traffic that use them every day.
    Well said.

  8. #28
    My son will be getting his license in February and I am very nervous. No matter how safe they may try to be, they are in their own little world [inexpereinced!] and I don't think they realize the potential danger of driving, especially in this area.

    Route 4 is not the Autobahn, people. Lights should be installed at the busiest of intersections. At the very least, SHA should install merge lanes such as the one at Plum Point Rd. That intersection used to be the #1 accident site in Calvert.

    It may delay your commute a bit, but leave earlier or get a job closer to home so you don't have to mow innocent people down on your way to work in order to get there on time.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by riverview View Post
    My son will be getting his license in February and I am very nervous. No matter how safe they may try to be, they are in their own little world [inexpereinced!] and I don't think they realize the potential danger of driving, especially in this area.

    Route 4 is not the Autobahn, people. Lights should be installed at the busiest of intersections. At the very least, SHA should install merge lanes such as the one at Plum Point Rd. That intersection used to be the #1 accident site in Calvert.

    It may delay your commute a bit, but leave earlier or get a job closer to home so you don't have to mow innocent people down on your way to work in order to get there on time.
    SHA is doing lots to make our drive safer. IF you dont feel your child is ready for the RESPONSIBILITY of driving, dont let them get a licsence.

  10. #30
    Rienell
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by riverview View Post
    ....add a light and you'll cause unnecessary delays. God forbid we actually SLOW DOWN the commuters that fly into DC at 70+ mph every day!

    If you are in that much of a hurry to get into DC, move to PG county. Otherwise, slow down, or accept the fact that lights are needed at the busiest intersections, no matter how much of an inconveience it is for the commuters that choose to drive an hour plus to work each day. You are sharing the road with inexperienced drivers that have no business driving at 70+ mph and SHOULD be delayed (slowed) while driving Rt 4 in the morning.

    The truth of the matter is that we are throwing our [inexperienced] children on to Rt 4 and telling them "be safe", which is close to impossible. They have no protection against the drivers that insist on travelling at high rates of speed.

    If you travel at the speed limit, you are practically run down, regardless of which lane you are travelling in. I've been driving for 30+ years and I am still afraid at times driving on Rt. 4.

    Granted, this accident wasn't caused by excessive speed, but a new driver is less likely to properly navigate a busy intersection than an experienced driver. And, had there been a light at this interesction, she should would have had a better opportunity to proceed through it safely.

    We are no longer a rural county...face the facts and upgrade out roads to accomodate the amount of traffic that use them every day.
    Adding a light for the convenience of all inexperienced and inept drivers is not a good enough reason. Again, this is treating the symptom, and not the problem. I had an officer tell me once that there is no excuse for ignorance of the law.

    Your comments directed to me personally are irrelevant to the whole point and I'll ignore them. It's standard business practice that you research pertinent data and evaluate statistics before making any kind of decision like this. That's all I'm asking for. Did you not see the part where I stated that I will vote yes for it if I see justification for it? Opinions are not good enough.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |