Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sign the Petition - A Light for Aly Purvis

Quote Originally Posted by Rienell View Post
    Again, this is treating the symptom, and not the problem.
    What exactly, is the "problem", in your professional and knowledgable opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by mAlice View Post
    IMO, it's people not obeying the posted speed limits. If everyone traveled at the posted speed, it would allow for gaps in traffic which would leave room for traffic flow from various routes. It would also decrease required stopping distance (vs. distance needed to brake to a stop from a higher rate of speed). There are more benefits. Those are just for starters.
    Imagine how much better America would be if you would simply don a pair a pants before sitting down at your Playskool My First 'Puter.

LibertyBeacon

My son is fully capable of handling the RESPONSIBILTY of driving, should he be given the chance to drive on roads that are planned to safely accomodate the traffic they see each day.

What concerns me is the jerks that seem to think it's ACCEPTABLE to drive at high rates of speed, weaving in and out of traffic with no regard for anyone elses safety, and the unsafe intersections that drivers are having to navigate through.

One gains experience over time, it's just a shame that new drivers are being killed before they are allowed the time to gain experience.

We are no longer a small county. I learned to drive in Calvert COunty in the 80's. Much less traffic, and the biggest concern of the driving test was having to cross the bridge! The numbers of cars has increased tremendously in Calvert...now revise the roads and intersections to accomodate the numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by kwillia View Post
    IMO, it's people not obeying the posted speed limits. If everyone traveled at the posted speed, it would allow for gaps in traffic which would leave room for traffic flow from various routes. It would also decrease required stopping distance (vs. distance needed to brake to a stop from a higher rate of speed). There are more benefits. Those are just for starters.

I was looking for an answer from Reinell, but thanks for the input.

R.I.P. Bobo, We miss you! SouthernMdRocks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyjones View Post
    SHA is doing lots to make our drive safer. IF you dont feel your child is ready for the RESPONSIBILITY of driving, dont let them get a licsence.
    It's not just responsibility, it's the whole BIG picture. I told him it's like chess, you have to anticipate others moves even before they do it. Being totally aware of what you and everyone else is doing. Something you get better at with experience. They all have to start somewhere. Responsible kids get into accidents also..

Quote Originally Posted by riverview View Post
    My son is fully capable of handling the RESPONSIBILTY of driving, should he be given the chance to drive on roads that are planned to safely accomodate the traffic they see each day.

What concerns me is the jerks that seem to think it's ACCEPTABLE to drive at high rates of speed, weaving in and out of traffic with no regard for anyone elses safety, and the unsafe intersections that drivers are having to navigate through.

One gains experience over time, it's just a shame that new drivers are being killed before they are allowed the time to gain experience.

We are no longer a small county. I learned to drive in Calvert COunty in the 80's. Much less traffic, and the biggest concern of the driving test was having to cross the bridge! The numbers of cars has increased tremendously in Calvert...now revise the roads and intersections to accomodate the numbers.
    the roads are what they are. If you dont think your son can drive safely on them that is a decision for you to make

BTW, it is my understanding that most of the roads we have (highways anyway) were designed for much greater speeds than they see today.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyjones View Post
    the roads are what they are.
    How profound.

Quote Originally Posted by mAlice View Post
    Hopefully this doesn't open a can of worms, but maybe the "problem" is inexperienced drivers on challenging roads, or just in general. Should the solution be more training/testing before a license is provided? Has the general driver's test changed enough over the last 20 years (or more) to reflect new driving patterns & speeds.

My driver's test was completed on actual roads in actual traffic, but I think many are still performing driving evaluations in a parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by CobraKai View Post
    maybe the "problem" is inexperienced drivers on challenging roads, or just in general. Should the solution be more training/testing before a license is provided? Has the general driver's test changed enough over the last 20 years (or more) to reflect new driving patterns & speeds.

My driver's test was completed on actual roads in actual traffic, but I think many are still performing driving evaluations in a parking lot.
    Absolutely. I'd even go so far as to say, the biggest challenge is going from a dead stop into 80mph traffic without a merge lane. If there was a traffic light there, or a merge lane, it wouldn't be a gauntlet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rienell View Post
    Adding a light for the convenience of all inexperienced and inept drivers is not a good enough reason. Again, this is treating the symptom, and not the problem. I had an officer tell me once that there is no excuse for ignorance of the law.

Your comments directed to me personally are irrelevant to the whole point and I'll ignore them. It's standard business practice that you research pertinent data and evaluate statistics before making any kind of decision like this. That's all I'm asking for. Did you not see the part where I stated that I will vote yes for it if I see justification for it? Opinions are not good enough.
    Hhhhmmm. One can't help but wonder, are you a politician?

If it were YOUR daughter and son that were killed....would your opinion be any different, or would you still be standing aroudn demanding pertinent data and statistics ? 11 accidents at one intersection within 3 years is an indication that SOMETHING should be done, for EXPERIENCED as well as INEXPERIENCED drivers.

One can travel for miles without having to slow on Rt 4. The drivers obviously don't slow on their own, so install a light and make it mandatory to slow down.

I don't know these people or anyone that was involved, but this is obviously an intersection in need of a change, as are many intersections in Calvert.

One can only hope in the meantime that their family member does not become ANOTHER number in the pertinent data and statistics that you are waiting for in order to sign one petition.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.